cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale Cancelled by eBay Due to a "Systems Issue"

This just happened to me on an order I sold a day ago. Luckily I didn't ship it out yet, otherwise it appears eBay went and refunded the buyer on my behalf, even though eBay itself was the one who cancelled the order...

Has anyone else experienced this?

cancel.PNG

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@mam98031 wrote:

Wow, that is a new one on me.  I've never seen or heard of such a message.  And Ebay refunding the payment is really unusual as they have NO idea if you shipped or not if you use some other label system other than Ebay's.

I think we need some clarity on this.  I'm going to tag the thread, but the staff won't be back until Monday.

kyle@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Hey @mam98031We recently identified an issue that caused a limited number of orders to be shipped to a buyer’s alternate address. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and are moving quickly to address customer concerns. 

Devon,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 49 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

I've actually never seen that one.

If you had shipped it, then you most likely would have kept the money and ebay would have refunded out of their pocket.

Message 2 of 60
latest reply

Wow, that is a new one on me.  I've never seen or heard of such a message.  And Ebay refunding the payment is really unusual as they have NO idea if you shipped or not if you use some other label system other than Ebay's.

I think we need some clarity on this.  I'm going to tag the thread, but the staff won't be back until Monday.

kyle@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

devon@ebay 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 60
latest reply

I just got the same message about an order and they refunded the buyer. Item has been mailed, so I guess I am out the money and item?

Message 4 of 60
latest reply

No, eBay would not make you out the money for an order they cancelled.

Just like if they cancelled an order that had already been shipped for issues with buyers account.

I'm 100% certain eBay will allow the seller to keep the sale and refund the buyer out of their pocket.

Message 5 of 60
latest reply

@shiraikimiaki it's not just you - I've seen multiple reports across social media and also on the UK eBay community, including several who have already shipped the orders that have been randomly/suddenly canceled and refunded.

The email just says if you've already shipped to "get in touch" but does not give any details on what the system issue was or what, if anything, eBay will do to help those who have already shipped.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ebay/comments/1c8pg20/ebay_cancellation_but_i_didnt_do_it_nor_the_seller/ 

https://twitter.com/wilsondan/status/1781736690458968232

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/eBay-system-issue/m-p/7601697#M206620

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/EBay-system-error-refund/m-p/7601727#M20663...

Message 6 of 60
latest reply

@nichsk-30 wrote:

I just got the same message about an order and they refunded the buyer. Item has been mailed, so I guess I am out the money and item?

@nichsk-30 if you look in your Payments tab, does it show the refunded money coming out of your processing or available funds?

Message 7 of 60
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

This is the 4th post of this content I'm seeing today.  Sounds like eBay has some glitch issues. Many stating their orders were cancelled, not by the seller nor the buyer.  

What's going on ?

Devon@eBay

Devon can you hear me? Please advise.  TY in advance. 

Message 8 of 60
latest reply

I wonder @valueaddedresource if it has something to do with the old address issue on the app? Or it could just be coincidental timing.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 60
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

I wonder @valueaddedresource if it has something to do with the old address issue on the app? Or it could just be coincidental timing.

@wastingtime101  I definitely wondered the same thing too!

My first thought was maybe eBay was canceling orders that had an incorrect old address but I've talked to one seller who received this vague "systems issue" cancellation notice and they said they messaged with the buyer and confirmed the address provided was correct (it had already been shipped.)

Clearly something is going on though with the shipping address issue, yesterday major outage with the listing form being unavailable and drafts disappearing temporarily, and other current problems and all of those systems could definitely be linked in some way, so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Message 10 of 60
latest reply

As a buyer, I’ve gotten this message today too. I was so confused, thought maybe I cancelled the order by mistake. Told me I can still purchase again after being refunded but I’m scared to tbh. 

Message 11 of 60
latest reply

Same thing happened with my listing I sold April 18th it randomly was cancel earlier today and then eBay sent me a message saying it was due to a systems issue and told me to relist it. I was beyond confused and also caused some burden to the person who bought. ebays infrastructure is not very good I get countless glitches on mobile and sometimes can’t even reply a simple “yes” to messages from my phone I have to go on PC but I can deal with those minor annoyances but straight out cancelling an order is very concerning.

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

Hmm. If payment was received will that sale appear on the seller's 1099K?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 13 of 60
latest reply

Just adding that I've confirmed with a seller in the UK that their on file payment method was already hit by eBay for the refunded amount of the canceled order they had already shipped, so yes it is coming out of the sellers' pockets...what a mess. 😔

Message 14 of 60
latest reply

As a buyer I’ve just received this exact email - I’ve paid for a collections company to pick up the item Monday and the seller says they know nothing about the cancellation! reading this it seems like a company issue so hopefully they fix this tomorrow so I’m not losing money

Message 15 of 60
latest reply