cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLER STRIKE! CANCEL LISTINGS WITHOUT ZOOM!

I am selling items that require zoom. Some could be $300+ items, but lack of zoom function will without a doubt hurt the final prices. I tried some various tests today. New listings with photos at 12x12 inches 1200x1200 and no go. Upped the size to 19x19 (1900x1900) nope, no zoom.

Just checked a fellow seller's item list (sorted chronologically). He lists several items every day  and none of his listings after after August 23rd have functioning zoom. 

Even though I have bids, I AM STRONGLY CONSIDERING CANCELLING ALL BIDS AND CLOSING UP SHOP UNTIL THIS IS FIXED!

If enough of us do this, (GO ON STRIKE)  perhaps the Lords of ebay will act to fix their minions' tech screw-up.

(and this problem is already going to hurt the ebay bottom line due to reduced selling prices)

I for one am not in a position to allow an ebay problem to down-price my goods. 

Cancelling bids aggravates bidders and damages the ebay experience, so while it is also a self inflicted wound, it will negatively affect ebay's image. 

ARE YOU LISTENING EBAY???? DO we need to go on STRIKE???

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: SELLER STRIKE! CANCEL LISTINGS WITHOUT ZOOM!

@modern-artifact wrote:

As stated, it has to do with the date the listing was posted. Many of my listings precede the glitch.

Zoom won't work in my recently created listings that are scheduled, but the older ones it does work... it may well be the 23rd that the problem started.

When I got here, they had pics, there were thumbnails, and clicking one rendered about a 400 x 600 photo.   Not very big, but at least it worked, was reliable, and not clunky to use.   Then they added a supersize photo, but you had to pay for it.

I could "workaround" this by putting fewer items in each picture and uploading more pictures... it's just that the viewer interface is pretty awful, to look at all 12 pictures on a listing using it is a slow clunky task. 

As a seller, I don't even think of the zoom function. I take closeups of my items. That is probably because it wasn't there when I first started selling.

As a buyer I see it as a sort of novelty...

Luxury, novelty or necessity... I could live without it, but if that's how eBay wants to display the photos on the site, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to work.   I tend to buy bulk lots of small items, the sellers tend to not describe them at all... "see the pictures".  Much like the hallmarks in your example, I need to see fine details on what I'm buying, otherwise I have no idea how much I should bid (if anything). 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 31 of 43
latest reply

@deep-garnet-red wrote:

I sell antiques, collectibles, and jewelry, mostly. The zoom function works fine on computers. It is my understanding the glitch is with Android devices. However, Android devices have their own zoom function so I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. Also, eBay functioned just fine in those categories without zoom for many years. I didn't see anything you had listed that zoom would be critical.

As a seller, I don't even think of the zoom function. I take closeups of my items. That is probably because it wasn't there when I first started selling.

As a buyer I see it as a sort of novelty, but it doesn't really affect if I buy something or not. Scratch that...I did once determine that a seller was selling a sterling silver desk set that they said was aluminum because I could make out the hallmarks. Snatched that one right up...lol.

That is incorrect.  It is suffering the same zoom problem on PCs and laptops.  It is functioning on some items, but not on others. 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 32 of 43
latest reply

Do you really think this is the biggest problem facing ebay?

I mean, it's big to sellers, I can see that.  Prices are cratering.  Sellers taking listings down.

But ebay has far bigger problems than this.  They'll get to this problem just as soon as they can get the even bigger problems fixed.

Message 33 of 43
latest reply

@modern-artifact wrote:

I am selling items that require zoom. Some could be $300+ items, but lack of zoom function will without a doubt hurt the final prices. I tried some various tests today. New listings with photos at 12x12 inches 1200x1200 and no go. Upped the size to 19x19 (1900x1900) nope, no zoom.

Just checked a fellow seller's item list (sorted chronologically). He lists several items every day  and none of his listings after after August 23rd have functioning zoom. 

Even though I have bids, I AM STRONGLY CONSIDERING CANCELLING ALL BIDS AND CLOSING UP SHOP UNTIL THIS IS FIXED!

If enough of us do this, (GO ON STRIKE)  perhaps the Lords of ebay will act to fix their minions' tech screw-up.

(and this problem is already going to hurt the ebay bottom line due to reduced selling prices)

I for one am not in a position to allow an ebay problem to down-price my goods. 

Cancelling bids aggravates bidders and damages the ebay experience, so while it is also a self inflicted wound, it will negatively affect ebay's image. 

The obvious solution to this glitch causing you a lesser amount of sales is to pull all your listings and have no sales at all...

That makes total sense.

Message 34 of 43
latest reply

Your correct on the date of zoom not working. I clicked on several of our listings posted prior to the 23 and zoom automatically comes up, those after that date fail to zoom.

However, only about 5000 members even come to these boards, even if every one of them went on 'strike', it would have very little impact on the Billion items listed here! In fact, many sellers would probably love to see less competition. There's no shortage of sellers or listings here. I just won't post any auctions during this glitch.
Message 35 of 43
latest reply

@pantlandia I appreciate your thoughts, however, as a seller of commodity items, you are not affected the way sellers of small rare antiquities or collectables are. Zoom means nothing to your buyer.

I am only pulling back on items that benefit from or NEED zoom to sell for their best price. My point: why sell a $300 item for $56 because zoom is not functioning. Uh selling for the sake of losing money and giving away valuable stock for pennies on the dollar? I'd rather sit out the storm on those items.

What I'd really like would be for ebay to tell us what the heck is going on. Will it magically reappear on our existing crippled listings, or will it never work again at all? will it come back for new listings at some point? or do we forgetaboutit? This does affect lots of folks selling plans heading into the season, and the status of the zoom function needs to be known. It's not for my pleasure mind you, but because my buyers have come to expect zoom.  

Message 36 of 43
latest reply

@modern-artifact wrote:

@pantlandia I appreciate your thoughts, however, as a seller of commodity items, you are not affected the way sellers of small rare antiquities or collectables are. Zoom means nothing to your buyer.

I am only pulling back on items that benefit from or NEED zoom to sell for their best price. My point: why sell a $300 item for $56 because zoom is not functioning. Uh selling for the sake of losing money and giving away valuable stock for pennies on the dollar? I'd rather sit out the storm on those items.

What I'd really like would be for ebay to tell us what the heck is going on. Will it magically reappear on our existing crippled listings, or will it never work again at all? will it come back for new listings at some point? or do we forgetaboutit? This does affect lots of folks selling plans heading into the season, and the status of the zoom function needs to be known. It's not for my pleasure mind you, but because my buyers have come to expect zoom.  

I've sold rare postage stamps for several years. I know the zoom is important, but not important enough to pull all of my listings and make no money whatsoever. Especially considering eBay won't even notice that you're gone (and if you think they will, you are mistaken).

eBay has NEVER been transparent about anything, this time is no different. Good luck to you and I do hope they resolve this soon.

Message 37 of 43
latest reply

@sodelight True enough, however, we don't need 5000 sellers to hurt ebay, the point is ebay is already hurting itself. I'd love the function to just magically reappear so I can get back to my plans, and I'd love for ebay to be a strong profitable company with strong profitable sellers and happy buyers. Those have been my goals for nearly 20 years now. 

More than anything, this thread is intended to shed some light on the issue, and get people to share their experiences with this problem to get to the root of things. (and in the process maybe help ebay zero in on their coding issues). 

An annoying and saddening truth is that EBAY NEVER seems to feel any need to be upfront about their system failures. 

This thread is a cry for help and a warning to sellers who might not realize their pictures are not zooming.

Message 38 of 43
latest reply

The obvious solution to this glitch causing you a lesser amount of sales is to pull all your listings and have no sales at all...

That makes total sense.

If you're selling auctions, and are going to end up selling at a loss, yes it makes perfectly good sense. 

Unfortunately if you've got bids, you're going to get charged FVF for doing that.

Otherwise it makes much more sense to just list it later with the photos working, and get more money.

BTW, the problem is now apparently fixed.  New listings created now will have a working zoom.

HOWEVER...

The fix does not fix listings created during the problem (Aug. 23-27).  The zoom still will not work on those.   I had only 3 live listings that are affected, but there are 15 in the listing scheduler that were built then, I still will have to revise them by deleting all the photos and re-loading them before they go live.

Message 39 of 43
latest reply

Will it magically reappear on our existing crippled listings, or will it never work again at all?

It will never work on those listings.  You either need to revise them by replacing all the photos, or (if they have bids) you'll need to cancel the bids, end the listings, and start over.

If you ADD photos, it will work on those photos, but the photos uploaded during the problem will never work properly.

Message 40 of 43
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

That makes total sense.

If you're selling auctions, and are going to end up selling at a loss, yes it makes perfectly good sense. 

If anyone does that, they have no one to blame but themselves. 

Message 41 of 43
latest reply

OK EVERYONE IT SEEMS TO BE FIXED...

Here's what we have determined by testing:

1) New listings: zoom is working

2) Items without bids, simply go into revise, delete all photos and reload your pics.

This worked for us with 1000x1000 images.

3) For items with bids... Well, no such luck, so far, no self repair on those. Fingers still crossed.

Message 42 of 43
latest reply

@pantlandia wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:

That makes total sense.

If anyone does that, they have no one to blame but themselves. 

My seven 99¢ listings today had 100 bids, and sold for $162.  There is no one to blame so long as eBay keeps the lights on and the doors unlocked.   

Message 43 of 43
latest reply