cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$$SCROUNGE LOUNGE $$ MAY 2017 $$

Welcome to the monthly scrounge lounge;

som'er scrounging, som'er slounging.  I thought I'd start one because well, I'm UP. Went to bed super early, forced myself to stay up til it was almost dark outside. 

I sold some pennies last week. I hope to sell a few lots this week, that would be great, since my other stuff was sitting and got knocked off the perch for something that has a better chance. We'll see. 

I think I left my camera in Wisconsin. I called about it but no reply yet. I can't find it anywhere so guess I left it. He will send it back to me or I'll make another trip. I took it to take pics of little O and got one photo and the batteries were dead, even charged them before I left. GRRR. 

Will try to catch up a bit but the board doesn't work like it used to so I'm still rummaging around in here and using Opera for ebay and just realized where the bookmarks are.  lol. I don't read directions much. 

Glad you slept better, JBEES, the last couple nights. Great! 

Thanks for the clarification on your situation with after care and the bubble. Glad it's working better now. 

Kay and Patd. I really don't know if I'm going back this fall. If I find something else I'll probably take it, but in the mean time, I can still call myself "employed" until I decide to do it again or not. I'm not feeling very respected out there. Freakin' drivers flying by like I'm not there (going 30, at least, instead of 20, going around corners with zero regard for direction to go, should be STOPPED until I tell them to go but they don't give a rats ykw, writing up a complaints list. It gets old and it is irritating, for safety's sake at least. 

Yup, I don't have a big family either, we used to have such nice big holiday dinners too. That was in the golden age of the babies of the boom era.  Good times and missed they are.  Patd, your family all together living on the same farmstead sounds very nice. 

Message 1 of 149
latest reply
148 REPLIES 148

Re: $$SCROUNGE LOUNGE $$ MAY 2017 $$

Yesterday I had some things to do in my kitchen.  I never take my oxygen hookup into the kitchen with me, so I unhooked it and came back and hooked it up when I got too short of breath.  While "airing up", I spent somt time reading the THRIFT STORE BUYERS - RESALES - HAVE YOU BEEN REATE BADLY BECAUSE OF IT?   Very intereresting, I thought, as so many have had so many different experiences with that.

Laurie

My broom brakes for all thrift stores.
Message 121 of 149
latest reply

Hi All--

Have been missing in action here lately.

Mr. has been pretty sick but is finally better 🙂

Also, May is a pretty busy time of year for us as we have a lot of B-days to celebrate.  2 important ones were oldest son turning "40" & Ethan turning '16" plus getting his drivers license...  Where the heck did the years go??? !  Hard to believe I was 'Only 10' when I had OS.  Smiley Very Happy

Have also been very busy with a lot of outside work, in between all the rainy days.  Grass & Weeds are growing like crazy & always needing tending...

WOW on what that mug sold for!  Guess they knew what they had as they started it pretty high.

Justy, so glad your having sales 🙂  Mine are hit & miss lately.  They sure have been putting a lot of promos out there lately....  I remember when we were lucky if we got 'maybe 2 a year' 😉

Glad to hear that the eyes are getting better for you Mrs. Bee.  Also glad your Mr. is finding ways to get rid of books, whether on the other site, here or at book stores buying them from him.  It all adds up at the end of the month 😉

Mr.s is in Indy today for a dr. appt.  Ys's last day of teaching was yesterday & he & Aaron are stopping over later today for a visit.  His wife's school goes until next Tuesday & then they'll be off for a couple months & then back at it, the middle of August...  I can remember when we didn't go back until after Labor Day, but that was back "in the stone age" & things change.  

Where is Kay?  I'm not seeing where she's posted in awhile?

I think I'm caught up now, even though I know I missed commenting on things.

I hope everyone is well & I hope you all have a Safe & Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Pat

Message 122 of 149
latest reply

What a qutie patootie lil O is.  Love the picture.

Holly Moley on the starbuck mug

What does REATE mean?

Hi Pat,  my youngest son hits 40 in June.  Happy BD to yours

"Stuff you think is great just sits there and stuff you say oh well and list it anyway sells straight off. " -  Amen to that!

Sold another old timer in the store, a Bible that has been listed forEVER, and I also found it stright away!!!!

Jeers on a neg from a buyer in Brazil-  Hummmph, a Barbie that I accepted BO on and said damaged box in title and description.  Original packaging, shipped in a bubble mailer, she never contacted me, and negged beccause of the way it was shipped.  Sturdy enough box to me and no breakable parts,  I am thinking it had to arrived no worse than it was as described and in the pictures.  Just rubbed me wrong as there was no communication from her that anything was damaged or wrong and she got a deal and it shipped under a pound.  Bahhhhhh, under the bridge now, but a tear to fall off the counter thingie.

Green wishes to al and to all a 5 a day goal.  🙂 

I have a good snakes in the garden story, but later on that.

It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
Message 123 of 149
latest reply

Sorry about the Neg Justy. Be sure and put the looser on your blocked list. So sad people treat sellers that way. Lovely loosers.
Message 124 of 149
latest reply

LOL I believe REATE was a typo on Laurie's post the thread says TREATED badly = )

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 125 of 149
latest reply

School for me always started after Labor Day and ended in June.

But then again, I'm so old that when I went to elementary school, History was called Current Events.
Message 126 of 149
latest reply

Went to a local auction out in the country today. This particular auctioneer always seems to get the best prices for the most ordinary stuff.

Family members were bidding on a milk can. Common can that would sell here for $25 or $30. Since it was family, it sold for $270.
Message 127 of 149
latest reply

I saw that same thing happen a few years ago on a milk can. Sold for 300 or more. Insane when family does that. Crazy times at auctions when the family starts fighting.
Message 128 of 149
latest reply

Unfortunately sentiment/emotion can = $ when family is involved.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 129 of 149
latest reply

Hello Laurie. I saw that thread but didn't read it. We've had that discussion a couple times but since you say it is interesting, I'll peak in. You're right about the teeth brushing pics. I love those. I wish I would have video'd it now. He was so funny laughing at himself. That was 3 or 4 years ago.

Thanks Justy/all, I didn't see little O for the last year so it was fun.
SORRY about that nasty neg. That's why I quit selling Int'l, I didn't get sales worth the bother.
SATURDAY. Sitting so far, waiting for the grass to dry so I can MOW.
I twisted my ankle a little the last time (and only) time I mowed the back yard (the dandies are a foot high now lol). This will be the second time all spring, so.... My next door neighbor has mowed four times. (but he's nuts on perfection)...drives me crazy. I'm sure he hates my neglect. I say that every year lol
I do not have my rider back so have been waiting and waiting,
I'm betting he is up at his cabin. holiday and all. I want to get it done so it's over with. It's a jungle down there in the mess that has grown and not been attended to. I let the daisies go WILD in a couple areas I usually mow. They haven't blossomed yet so it all looks like weeds but it's not.
AND I have asparagus growing so I bet there is some to cut today.
The front yard looks great though, so I give myself credit for that. and my friend Cheryl who helped.
Message 130 of 149
latest reply

That's so funny. When I read this yesterday I had just been thinking about the terms "Current Events" for some odd reason. Haven't thought of that in years. Another reference to age, I'm with ya.

I haven't been to an auction in a long time. If I see signs at the corners I'll follow them if I'm not doing anything else, been awhile. Early Spring here is mostly farm equipment auctions.
The big machines are out on the roads, they look like gigantic bugs or transformers.
The other day all the boys who usually drive pick up trucks all drove tractors to school.
It was entertaining 😛
Message 131 of 149
latest reply

400 mile yard sale starts on Thursday.  We're at the northern terminus (Maysville, KY); it goes to the Tennessee border to Paducah KY and Paris TN out west.

Picked up some pretty cool things the last few years but as with any such event, you have to navigate the mountains of used baby clothes and VHS tapes.  And the drivers slowing down to gawk are insufferable.

Message 132 of 149
latest reply

Hey there all!

Kyal, you're posts are great.  One recent one was funny, made me laugh. 

Wowzers on the milkcan sold to the family at an auction and sad that they've become common thanks to ebay.  I'll have to ask my dh what happened to the milk can he had as a prop when he had his photo biz.  We may have sold here on ebay for a pittance a dozen or more yrs ago.  One of the 1st auctions that I went to with a friend had family mbrs bidding on stuff; my friend explained it to me.  Stuff went high and dealers that had come from 2 or more hrs away weren't happy with losing out on some of the stuff.  Kind of got tense there for awhile before they up and left.

Laurie, that was/is a good thread, the thriftstore thread.  Lots of interesting posts.

Shoppers, good to see ya.  Looking forward to reading your update.

Justy, glad to see you.  Yay on your sales.  Always love hearing about them.

Pat, glad to read a post from you as I was also worried.  Sorry to learn that your dh had been sick.  Hope he's all better now.  How did Aaron like disney world?

M*M, cute pic of O. (though he was cuter in the pics at about age 3, or I'm off a year).  I wonder if you'd be able to dig through old posts here and still find those old pics here.  Might find the posts, but the pics might not come up any more. 

Glad that school is almost out for you.  Does the job spread out your pay during the time of no school?  My Mother started working at a school cafeteria close to where we lived after I started jr. high and worked doing that for around 20 yrs or so.  Most of the time, the pay got spread out so that they still received a monthly check during the time school was out.  One year they didn't do that and required them (not sure if it included other departments or just cafeteria workers) to file for unemployment during the time not working.  They had to actively seek other work, as well.  That backfired once, lol, when my Mom called a grocery store bakery.  The bakery manager was willing to hire her over the phone.  She turned it down and couldn't use that store on her weekly unemployment form.  It must've also backfired for the school system as well since they only did that one IIRC.

Good to see you there Sun.  Waving to Kay and Patd.

Women are angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that.
Message 133 of 149
latest reply

We've been busy here, mostly with going through old inventory as dh clears out the mini-warehouse space.  Not sure whether or not he'll get it done by the end of the month or not, but he's going to try.  Because of this gas bubble still in my eye, I've not been able to help with the physical part of it due to limitations as to how I can hold my head, not being able to lift much, and visual impairment and sometimes dizziness because of the bubble moving when I move my head.  However, I have gone through some of the inventory brought into the house, discussed some plans for some of the rest, etc. 

Trashing some stuff, donating some stuff, etc. Listing some here and at St Elsewhere's.  Sold 1 item on CL, will probably list some more things there soon.

Some limited garage-saling, along with all the usual stuff we've done before.

We just got the current ebay listing offer, 500 listings fixed price or auctions, starting today thru June 1.  I'm going to do that on my other i.d.  (This i.d. got the offer also,  but I won't have time to do both.)  I also took advantage of the other recent 1 day offer, though by the time I saw it,  was only able to do about a third of the amount.  Not sure how many of the current offer I can do as it takes a lot longer to do most listings here than on a couple of other sites.

Anyway, I might not be around to post again until after the current offer expires, so I hope that everyone has a nice Memorial Day Holiday and extended weekend!

Women are angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that.
Message 134 of 149
latest reply

Forgot a couple of things...

Kyal, I didn't know there was a Paris, TN until I googled it.  At first I thought you meant Paris TX.  Hope you can find some good deals at the 400 mi sale.  We've not gone to any of the various mile sales that extend down near our way.  Dh is not keen on all the driving, wasted time, etc.  from tales we've heard.

Justy, sorry about the neg.  We stopped selling Internationally in Jan 2016 when postage rates went up for sending int'l pkgs.  Probably won't do it again even though we can now set our own postage rates over on the river.  The only ones we do is with the fulfilled by the river programs as they have better success and get better shipping rates.  Even some of those sales don't turn out well with delivery issues.  Not opting in for int'l shipping here on ebay, either, though we might do it for a few photography equipment items as we've had good luck with int'l buyers for that kind of item.

Yme,  yes I remember the green chant threads and Scroungers thread do a mini version of it on our weekly thread.  I've thought a bit about maybe posting one on this board, with a lot of explanations, of course and even a bit in the title to see if it'll stay put as it is selling related.  Can't attempt it for at least a few days...

So, here's my mini GREEN chant for GREEN on all of our eBay listings:

GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN

GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN

Message 135 of 149
latest reply