cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM: BUYER CHANGES ADDRESS, NOW CLAIMS BROKEN PHONE

I wish I stopped by here before I sold my used iPhone on eBay.  

So I listed a used working iPhone on eBay with good description and lots of photos.   A few weeks latter, I get a buyer for the phone on eBay.    Once I get a notification from eBay to ship the phone, I get two emails from two different eBay members with low or non-existent feedback to send it to another address.  I became suspicious when they came from different eBay members, but both messages had a image of the new ship to address in Wilmington Delaware.  Right away, I was suspicious and contacted eBay and told an employee about it.   She agreed that it was also suspicious that the address was an image, and not typed out.    I told the seller that I would mail the iPhone to his original address to protect myself and the seller.  

I ship the phone from the post office and take lots of pictures of the bubble wrapped phone, and the sealed box.  

Now I get eBay message from the seller that the camera does not work.  Funny that, I used the one-year old phone's camera right up to when I put it into the box.  Of course I do a Apple factory reset the day I mailed it out. 

Again, I contact an eBay employee to tell her of my suspicions.   I also file a complaint with eBay against the buyer. 

So now I am waiting on eBay to make a decision.   

A few things:

1)  The ship to address is a business in Wilmington Delaware.  A internet search showed multiple complaints of a dishonest phone buyer in Delaware.

2) If the buyer sends the phone back, what will I get?  An empty envelope with a altered tracking number?  A fake or broken phone?  Or the original phone back, but it is locked and unusable (bricked)?

I need some advice on this to anyone else who has been scammed by a phone buyer, and if eBay rules in the favor of the buyer.  

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

That Delaware address is a freight forwarder. All you can do is wait for the buyer to open a not as described case, then respond with the ff information.Because the phone was forwarded, you shouldnt be responsible for a return.Just fyi, taking pictures of the pkg are useless, Ebay does not even look at them.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Right now, if the buyer filed an INAD and you want something returned before refunding, accept the return and provide a shipping label.

The address is probably a freight forwarder.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@ltguass wrote:

I wish I stopped by here before I sold my used iPhone on eBay.  

So I listed a used working iPhone on eBay with good description and lots of photos.   A few weeks latter, I get a buyer for the phone on eBay.    Once I get a notification from eBay to ship the phone, I get two emails from two different eBay members with low or non-existent feedback to send it to another address.  I became suspicious when they came from different eBay members, but both messages had a image of the new ship to address in Wilmington Delaware.

Those are routine scams using messages from throwaway accounts and are not connected with your actual buyer. They are generated via a bot process and sent to sellers of recently-sold items in high-scam categories. In addition to the bogus story, and address shown in a photo (as a way to evade eBay filters), you might notice that the exact phone you sold is never mentioned in those messages; they generally call it "the item" or similar as they are sending out those messages in bulk, and want to reach as many sellers as possible before eBay nukes their account.

Anytime you get a message like that from a user ID that is not that of your buyer (who probably knows nothing about it), you can ignore it.

As for the address in Delaware, that's probably a reshipper for offshore accounts. The only reason you're finding it on-line as a supposed scammer source is because the scammer is offshore. Thousands of legitimate buyers use reshippers in order to purchase from sellers who themselves do not sell internationally, but no one goes on-line to loudly announce that their sale/purchase to that address went fine.

@ltguass wrote:

I told the seller that I would mail the iPhone to his original address to protect myself and the seller.  

You ship to the address received with the payment and nowhere else, yes.

@ltguass wrote:

I ship the phone from the post office and take lots of pictures of the bubble wrapped phone, and the sealed box.

It's a popular strategy, but unfortunately eBay is not interested in photos of what you packed, as those do not prove what you actually shipped, nor what the buyer claims to have received.

@ltguass wrote:

Now I get eBay message from the seller that the camera does not work.  Funny that, I used the one-year old phone's camera right up to when I put it into the box.  Of course I do a Apple factory reset the day I mailed it out. 

Again, I contact an eBay employee to tell her of my suspicions.   I also file a complaint with eBay against the buyer. 

Filing a complaint of some sort against the buyer (what complaint did you file, exactly?) is probably not going to affect the outcome of a return request, if the buyer chooses to file one. If he does, respond to the request case by selecting the option of saying that the phone must be returned first. The return label that eBay will send will originate from the delivery address of the purchase, so if it did go overseas, the buyer will need to get it back to his reshipper in the U.S. first.

@ltguass wrote:

So now I am waiting on eBay to make a decision.

If you do not respond to a return request in a case that has been filed, eBay will find in the buyer's favor every time. Assuming that there is indeed a case already open, you need to make a response (such as Return for Refund) before your deadline.

@ltguass wrote:

A few things:

1)  The ship to address is a business in Wilmington Delaware.  A internet search showed multiple complaints of a dishonest phone buyer in Delaware.

As above, that sounds like a reshipper, who deals in hundreds of packages a day. The fact that scammers can use it as well gives the impression that the address is that of the scammer himself, which it is not. I've shipped items through freight forwarders (reshippers) frequently over the years and never had a problem, though I also have never dealt in high-scam items such as laptops or smartphones.

@ltguass wrote:

2) If the buyer sends the phone back, what will I get?  An empty envelope with a altered tracking number?  A fake or broken phone?  Or the original phone back, but it is locked and unusable (bricked)?

It doesn't seem likely that your phone really broke on the way, so the scammer is probably fishing for a refund and a free phone. I would at least make him work for that by sending the phone back. It is certainly possible that he might return the proverbial rock, yes.

Technically, if you can prove that the phone was sent to a reshipper/freight-forwarder, the buyer gives up his Money Back Guarantee by doing so, but you may have a bit of an uphill battle in proving that. I would start by responding with a Return for Refund answer, and see where things go after that.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

Right now, if the buyer filed an INAD and you want something returned before refunding, accept the return and provide a shipping label.

The address is probably a freight forwarder.

@kensgiftshop 

The return label WILL be to the address in which the seller was told to ship to on the Payment notification they received from the buyer.  So you are correct, it would be the Freight Forwarder's address.

It would likely be in the seller's best interest to just accept the Request for Return and allow this return label to be issued.  It will then be up to the buyer to ship the item BACK to their freight forwarding company and then pay that company to send it back to the seller OR for the buyer to just figure it isn't worth it as they have to pay the international shipping.

In my experience in these cases, the buyer doesn't return the item.  

But it is VERY important not to allow Ebay the ability to determine the outcome of the Request for Return.  The seller has 3 days when a Return is filed for before the button appears that would allow Ebay to step in.  It is not usually in the seller's best interest to allow the buyer to have access to that.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

I feel like we should mention too, that sometimes, when a ff is involved, Ebay will say the buyer must work there, so he is entitled to a return and refund. Which is ridiculous of course, but just another way Ebay entitles the buyer.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

I feel like we should mention too, that sometimes, when a ff is involved, Ebay will say the buyer must work there, so he is entitled to a return and refund. Which is ridiculous of course, but just another way Ebay entitles the buyer.

Well that is a new one for me.  And I certainly agree with you that would be ridiculous.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Ive seen several complaints on the boards about that over the years.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

Ive seen several complaints on the boards about that over the years.

Wow, that is simply crazy.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Yes it is. I know one seller requested the mod on the returns board about it, and she was told that it was correct.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

Yes it is. I know one seller requested the mod on the returns board about it, and she was told that it was correct.

They must have been smokin something.  Simply doesn't make any sense.  LOL

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

LOL..maybe..or else it depends which mod answers...

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@bonjourami wrote:

Well that is a new one for me.  And I certainly agree with you that would be ridiculous.

Right, that was eBay Community rep Trinton who first floated that suggestion (that the buyer might just be a worker at the freight forwarding company) several years ago now. He stuck to that line of argument despite heated protests and no evidence that it was ever true. I believe he's still working for eBay but is no longer interacting with eBay sellers.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Yes!! Good memory!

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@bonjourami wrote:

@mam98031 wrote on ‎10-04-2019 11:10 AM:

@mangorunner wrote:

Called eBay and eBay said the whole freight forwarding thing recently got changed.  They (eBay) can now only reject a return request if the Buyer actually *says* they used a forwarder in an eBay message.  Apparently, the fact that the shipping address belongs to a freight forwarder is no longer enough.  The eBay Rep said that buyers are claiming that they *work* at the freight-fowarding company - things like that  - in order that they may still be able to make returns and file INADs/SNADs.  The eBay Rep said that only way to actually prove that they used a freight forwarder is with a Buyer message acknowledging that.

Could we get some clarification on this as it is an extremely important issue.  Thank you in advance.

trinton@ebay 

tyler@ebay 

brian@ebay

Message 15 of 29
latest reply