cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns have become epidemic- is this Ebays Plan?

Had only gotten a handful of returns in 17 years, but have been averaging 3 a week since Ebay's new return policy.

Buyer reasons are generally, "just didn't like it", but file as SNAD!

And now Ebay is simply authorizing the return immediately.

Not one return has been an actual SNAD.

The only defence is to raise prices?

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Returns have become epidemic- is this Ebays Plan?

I was told by the CSR that once I got the item back and since I have free returns and the buyer lied about the SNAD that I could partially refund.  Once I received the item back I had that option but I decided to refund the who amount after inspecting the shirt.  It was not woth the hastle for a 14.96 shirt.

Message 61 of 67
latest reply

Message 62 of 67
latest reply

Same here

Thanks to the "IwannabelikeAmazon" syndrome these people are suffering from.

Let's take away any buyer responsibilty and consequences because who cares ... seller pays anyway.

Message 63 of 67
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:
There is no link that is going to have meaningful data for any single given seller.  Return rate  the seller "over-sell" items (higher) or "under-sell" items (lower), what is the actual quality of the item, what is the sale price, what is the quality of the photos/description, how much effort and expense (or is it "Free") is required to return,

If yours is really 0.01% (that's 1 in 10,000), that's astoundingly low.  

@ted_200

That's 1/100 not 1/10,000. Also my returns have been around 1/400   0.04. I took out all the other non factors other than for clothes sellers. The returns are normally from what I highlighted in what you wrote. That's the main problem with  those with high returns, they do not want to hear that stuff. Easier to blame Ebay.

LOL!

I write a post that basically agrees with you, and you come back with a "blame eBay" post that has some eBay math in it?   As some politician use to say, "You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts", and 0.01% is 1 in 10,000, not 1 in 100.  

And yes, my return rate really is about 1 in 3,000.  I didn't count three that were my fault, that I refunded without any return. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 64 of 67
latest reply

Clothing returns can be closer to 40 percent.

eBay seems really to like CSA items, and they won't have any CSA sellers at all  if they manage to convince buyers to return CSA items that frequently.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 65 of 67
latest reply

Yes... It is. In an effort to compete wtih Amazon this is their plan. It does make sense match your competitions services that are better than your own. The problem is Ebay has a different clientel. I have seen many buyers request a return expecting the buyer to automatically do a refund and keep the item.  Many seller's actually do it making it worse for the rest of us. Ebay buyers are very wise to the system and know how to work it. Just like there is a segment of buyers that know the 30 day return policy means nothing because they can contest through  PayPal for up to 90 days. Amazon continues to charge a fee as this brings in better buyers and less riff-raff scam artist. 

I just had a buyer straight out tell me to give them a refund and let them keep the item or I would get a bad feedback. This type of buyer was created by Ebay. While the buyer was certainly unethical, Ebay is an enabler. 

I turned on automatic returns 2 times and had to stop 2 times. The increase in sales was not enough to compensate for my losses. And worst of all, people that chose automatic returns do not care to check sizes and item details. They know they get a free ride and have no responsibility.

Also, get ready for the next problem. China sellers are starting to put warehouses in the USA. 

Message 66 of 67
latest reply

I think a significant issue is being overlooked with returns. It is known 80% of the market uses hand held devices and Ebay has created a summary page that gives no product details. Buyers will not and do not drill down into Item Details and Item Description. Sales occur from 3 factors (1) Keywords (2) Photos (3) Price. Only the exceptional buyer goes down into specifics to make sure they have the right size, type, material....etc

Unfortunately, auto returns are here to stay and Ebay will gradually force the issue. We need a way for buyers to make an informed purchase. The summary page is the issue. Maybe it is just a check box that the buyer agrees to the Item Details. I do not know. Just throwing it out there.........

Message 67 of 67
latest reply