cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Responding to Customers on Christmas / Other Holidays

I've been asked by a lot of family recently that knows I work super closely with eBay as a job if I'm obligated to respond to customers on big holidays like Christmas, Easter, etc.

The simple answer I usually give them is that unlike any day of the year, I am not OBLIGATED to respond (although this may result in a lower customer satisfaction rate if I choose not to respond same day).. Instead, what I've decided to do for days like today if you truly feel you can't respond today because of family situations is to turn on your out-of-office reply under vacation settings on your seller dashboard on the lefthand side.

Simply leave a little message saying that you are out of the office and will respond to everything on the following day or whenever you will be back.

Remember when you do get back to turn it off, the same way you turned it on.

Hope this can be helpful.. and what other ways do you guys handle holiday situations being a eBay seller?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

The holidays don't take up 24 hours of my days.

We're at the age where our last child is leaving the house, the other married earlier this years.   We'll only have an hour or so of holiday time with them, because they'll next be off to their other inlaws houses.

So, I'll still have a nice mostly relaxing day around the house, with time to pop on my eBay sales  .. and here .. and do what I enjoy.

Happy holidays!

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I don't recall receiving any questions on Christmas day. Buyers are welcome to ask questions whether it's a holiday or not. Happy Holidays to everyone.☺

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Don't forget,

answer a message on Christmas day

and you may get a sale on Christmas day!

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I'd be happy to respond to a buyer today.  I'm here posting, so I'm surely not going to say I don't have time for that. Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Your suggestion for turning on the out of office reply for today is a good one if you do not plan on responding to messages today.

I will be be responding to messages just like any other day of the year.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

Your suggestion for turning on the out of office reply for today is a good one if you do not plan on responding to messages today.

That is a good suggestion if the seller has a store. The rest of us have no options like that to turn on the out of office. 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I got a couple offers today.  I am certainly responding.  Money is good no matter what day of the year. 

On the same note, I think a buyer should understand if the reply is not quick.  If they expect an immediate reply on a holiday, I would worry about what other expectations they have.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

That is a good suggestion if the seller has a store. The rest of us have no options like that to turn on the out of office. 

Oh, I forgot about that.  Thank you for sharing.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

Out Of Office in messaging is available to everyone - not just store owners.

- Suzanne -
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@scga912 wrote:

@readabouthorses wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

Out Of Office in messaging is available to everyone - not just store owners.

Where is that? I looked once before but never saw an option for it. Is is hidden somewhere in the inner workings of Seller Hub which doesn't like my computer very much?

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Go to Messages

Upper right hand area - Change Settings

- Suzanne -
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@scga912 wrote:

Go to Messages

Upper right hand area - Change Settings

Ah, you are talking about a reply to an actual message the person would have to first send. I was thinking the notice that shows up when you go to someone's store and see they are out of the office until such-an-such date which would not require the person to actually contact you first.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I am seriously not concerned about this issue at all, not in the least.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I usually respond within a few minutes.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply