cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund request as Item Not Received but Delivered 2 months ago?

We sold a clamp meter on Thursday May 17th; shipped it Friday May 18th (to their PayPal confirmed address) and according to USPS tracking it was Delivered on Monday May 21st.

This morning we received a Refund Request on the basis of it not being received...more than two months after the fact?

When we shipped we sent the buyer the tracking number. If USPS said it was delivered on May 21st and the buyer had seen that by checking the tracking surely they'd have notified us long before now?

I'm assuming that we're OK but I can't help but wonder what kind of buyer waits over two months to claim that they didn't receive their purchase?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Refund request as Item Not Received but Delivered 2 months ago?

What kind of buyer? 

The kind of buyer we see more and more of every week here.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

No. You are no OK. You will win the first round by providing a tracking number that shows it was delievered. However, if the seller calls and presses the situation Ebay will pay him a refund and charge it to your fees. If the buyer loses that, they will go to paypal and file a compliant. iIf they lose there and actaully do a chargeback on the card link to their paypal account, Paypal will rollover on you and take the money out of your account.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

The kind of buyer that needs blocked buy every single seller on ebay.   Best regards

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Provide the tracking number and fahgeddaboutit.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

what kind of buyer waits over two months to claim that they didn't receive their purchase?

The kind of buyer that needs the item for one or two uses and knows that ebay's MBG got their back.

If the request is through ebay resolution center, then MBG has run out for them.  You could enter tracking then call and get them to close it.  If on paypal, you might have a problem.

OP, if the request is just a message then do the following.  Actually before you do anything on ebay, you should send the buyer a message something like this.....

Dear buyer,

I am sorry that you did not receive your package.  You should have notified me sooner.  I will go to my Post Office and have them look up tracking number xxx xxx in their internal system - which holds the numbers a lot longer than their website and ebay does, and have them check to see if there is a problem. 

While I am there, I will file a lost/stolen package report on the package and have them flag your address while they investigate what might have happened and if your neighborhood has had reports of porch theft in the time period.  If so, I can file a report with your local police so they can get the meter on their stolen items report.

Again, I wish you had let me know sooner, I am more than happy to help.

You.

What you want to do is let them know that your help will get them on outside authorities radar and not get an instant refund from an insecure ebay seller.

(*Bleep*)
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@savent-0 wrote:

No. You are no OK. You will win the first round by providing a tracking number that shows it was delievered. However, if the seller calls and presses the situation Ebay will pay him a refund and charge it to your fees. If the buyer loses that, they will go to paypal and file a compliant. iIf they lose there and actaully do a chargeback on the card link to their paypal account, Paypal will rollover on you and take the money out of your account.

This is incredibly inaccurate information.  

1.  The seller will win with eBay if they provide the tracking that shows delivered unless if over $750 then you need proof of signature.   IF the buyer appeals with eBay yes eBay may refund the buyer a courtesy refund this means eBay pays for it NOT the seller.  The seller will not get billed for it as long as the meet the seller protection requirements 

2. Same rules stated above are true with PayPal as eBay.  

3. With a chargeback you are still protected as long as you have proof of delivery.  I would take a screenshot of your proof of delivery though because it gets removed by USPS and then you can't win. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

what kind of buyer waits over two months to claim that they didn't receive their purchase?

The kind of buyer that needs the item for one or two uses and knows that ebay's MBG got their back.

If the request is through ebay resolution center, then MBG has run out for them.  You could enter tracking then call and get them to close it.  If on paypal, you might have a problem.

OP, if the request is just a message then do the following.  Actually before you do anything on ebay, you should send the buyer a message something like this.....

Dear buyer,

I am sorry that you did not receive your package.  You should have notified me sooner.  I will go to my Post Office and have them look up tracking number xxx xxx in their internal system - which holds the numbers a lot longer than their website and ebay does, and have them check to see if there is a problem. 

While I am there, I will file a lost/stolen package report on the package and have them flag your address while they investigate what might have happened and if your neighborhood has had reports of porch theft in the time period.  If so, I can file a report with your local police so they can get the meter on their stolen items report.

Again, I wish you had let me know sooner, I am more than happy to help.

You.

What you want to do is let them know that your help will get them on outside authorities radar and not get an instant refund from an insecure ebay seller.

Or the kind of buyer who bought something forgot about it then remembers two months later...I've done this ha   

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

OK, the refund request was a formal one through eBay and we've already replied with the tracking info. The clamp meter, including shipping, was a $30 deal so no signature confirmation. I've done a screen capture of the USPS tracking details that show it was delivered.

eBay can do what they like but we will not willingly give a refund and if eBay forces one they'll be getting a loud phone call about it.

As far as we're concerned this comes down to believing the buyer or USPS and since the tracking says DELIVERED over two months ago we'll take the post offices word on this one...

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@nationalpawnshop wrote:

OK, the refund request was a formal one through eBay and we've already replied with the tracking info. The clamp meter, including shipping, was a $30 deal so no signature confirmation. I've done a screen capture of the USPS tracking details that show it was delivered.

eBay can do what they like but we will not willingly give a refund and if eBay forces one they'll be getting a loud phone call about it.

As far as we're concerned this comes down to believing the buyer or USPS and since the tracking says DELIVERED over two months ago we'll take the post offices word on this one...

Yeah $30 doesn't need signature confirmation.  You should be fine.  Just keep track of your screen shot in case there is a chargeback down the road. 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Sorry but you are wrong on all counts, if shipped to the confirmed Paypal address with tracking confirmation you will win an E Bay case, Same with Paypal seller protection, follow the guidelines you will win, always best to call them direct money is returned if it left in the 1st place instantly, Chargeback, again covered by seller protection, upload your tracking / delivery confirmation in a screenshot showing the address delivered to, covered by seller protection, had this many times, won every time, copy and paste their seller protection policy to the case if opened, do not let them tell you a chargeback can take up to 90 days, you are COVERED, if they want to give in to the chargeback do so with your money not mine.
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

towards the end of february, i got several not as described for rare christmas movies.  i told them to return for refund.  which they did.  free rental of rare christmas movie.

just recently i received several, did not receive, from may.  i had tracking so i did not have to refund them.

i sell a lot of white envelope items.  have had to refund all of them that are filed as not received.  tracked items that never are scanned as delivered also must be refunded.

not a good year for returns.  cant wait for christmas.  sigh.......

snow dogs that have owned me

SheRa ‘Barbarian Queen’ Sept 16, 1995 - Nov 17, 2006
Thor ‘God of Thunder’ Nov 17, 2006 – Nov 26, 2007
Mishka ‘Little Bear’ March 26, 2007 – Oct 22, 2016
Conan ‘Wolf’ Nov 14, 2007
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@nationalpawnshop wrote:

Yeah $30 doesn't need signature confirmation.  You should be fine.  Just keep track of your screen shot in case there is a chargeback down the road. 

The seller already entered the tracking to the request so will the seller have to call and get this closed in their favor or will the system recognize delivery and close it automatically in the sellers favor?

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@nationalpawnshop wrote:

The seller already entered the tracking to the request so will the seller have to call and get this closed in their favor or will the system recognize delivery and close it automatically in the sellers favor?

It should close automatically you but calling would likely make it happen faster

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I provided tracking on a INR and won the first round. The buyer simply called ebay and said they meant to file "not described". Ebay told them to mail it back and provide tracking and they would refund. Never got item. Found out later  buyer sent empty enevolope  with Delevery confimation to local McDonalds with same zip. Ebay gave them there money back and helped them scam the item. Paypal will roll over on anyone if the customer does a chargeback.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply