cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund of fees on returns

BTW, are you aware that after May 7th you will no longer get any of your Paypal fees back when you refund?  This means that Paypal will keep both the $.30 AND the 2.9% you originally paid to process the payment through Paypal

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

@jeannicho22 wrote:

BTW, are you aware that after May 7th you will no longer get any of your Paypal fees back when you refund?  This means that Paypal will keep both the $.30 AND the 2.9% you originally paid to process the payment through Paypal

Replace both with not, AND with BUT.

Message 2 of 56
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@jeannicho22 

Do you have a link for that update.  I'm not aware of that.  As you know that is a very important piece of information we all should have.

I do know there are some updates effective April 29th.  But it clearly says that they are not doing as you state above.  So you are telling me they are doing an update on April 29th and then another one a week later?

Yes, Link please.  I'm so confused.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 

Sure, here it is 

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

I just received it this afternoon and posted about it in the payments thread.  The person who responded reacted like it was old hat and common knowledge.... Yeah, I didn't think so.  People are going to FREAK OUT when they figure this out.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Paypal-policy-updates-Those-sneaky-so-and-so-s/m-p/29672021/h...

Message 4 of 56
latest reply

AMENDMENTS TO THE PAYPAL ACCOUNT USER AGREEMENT

We are updating the PayPal Account User Agreement for U.S. customers. These changes will go into effect on May 7, 2019. If you agree to these changes, you don’t have to do anything. If you don’t agree with these changes, you may close your account. If you close your account before May 7, 2019, the changes will not apply to you.

Amendments to the PayPal Account User Agreement

• We’re removing the flat rate pricing for sending money to friends and family members who have PayPal accounts in a country other than the United States and introducing a new variable fee of 5% based on the amount you send with a minimum of $0.99 and a maximum of $4.99 per transaction. We’re also removing any variation depending on the recipient’s country. 
  • We are changing the currency conversion spread to 3.25% over a base exchange rate in situations where you are a sender of money in a PayPal transaction.
  • We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.
Message 5 of 56
latest reply

Message 6 of 56
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

We are updating the PayPal Account User Agreement for U.S. customers. These changes will go into effect on May 7, 2019. If you agree to these changes, you don’t have to do anything. If you don’t agree with these changes, you may close your account. If you close your account before May 7, 2019, the changes will not apply to you.

• We’re removing the flat rate pricing for sending money to friends and family members who have PayPal accounts in a country other than the United States and introducing a new variable fee of 5% based on the amount you send with a minimum of $0.99 and a maximum of $4.99 per transaction. We’re also removing any variation depending on the recipient’s country. 
  • We are changing the currency conversion spread to 3.25% over a base exchange rate in situations where you are a sender of money in a PayPal transaction.
  • We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.

I'm not sure that means what you think it does.  I think we need some clarification from PP. 

Odd the April 29th Update says this:

4.3. Commercial Transaction Refund Fee

If you refund a Commercial Transaction payment, PayPal will retain the Fixed Fee portion of the Commercial Transaction Fee.

The Buyer’s PayPal Account will be credited with the full Commercial Transaction payment amount.

Your PayPal Account will be charged with the amount initially credited to your PayPal Account in connection with the Commercial Transaction payment and the Fixed Fee portion of the Commercial Transaction Fee.

https://www.paypal.com/ch/webapps/mpp/ua/feespolicy-full?locale.x=en_CH

Message 7 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

I'm not sure that means what you think it does.  I think we need some clarification from PP. 

If you refund a Commercial Transaction payment, PayPal will retain the Fixed Fee portion of the Commercial Transaction Fee.

The Buyer’s PayPal Account will be credited with the full Commercial Transaction payment amount.

Your PayPal Account will be charged with the amount initially credited to your PayPal Account in connection with the Commercial Transaction payment and the Fixed Fee portion of the Commercial Transaction Fee.

Sure, I'm always open to clarification, but I just went through this with another venue's managed payments which is why I clued into this right away.  After doing some research I discovered this is a fairly common practice and is something generally negotiated with the payment processor.  Some even charge an additional refund fee in addition to keeping 100% of the transaction fee. 

Message 8 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@mam98031, the link you posted and the text you quoted form it, apply for PayPal users in Switzerland only (that's what the /ch/ part of the URL refers to).

That text does not apply for users in the USA. The post that you quoted from @jeannicho22 was correct. Here is the link and the text about the refund changes for users in the USA.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full?locale.x=en_US

Message 9 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@jeannicho22 

Do you have a link for that update.  I'm not aware of that.  As you know that is a very important piece of information we all should have.

I do know there are some updates effective April 29th.  But it clearly says that they are not doing as you state above.  So you are telling me they are doing an update on April 29th and then another one a week later?

The Cash & Cash Plus account updates went into effect MARCH 29th.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 10 of 56
latest reply

I'm not concerned as returns are a rare exception for me. 

I can see how it may be a concern but passing it on to the customer would be acceptable IMO. 

Message 11 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@jeannicho22 

@mam98031, the link you posted (later) leads to the PayPal updates for users based in Switzerland, not in the USA. There is an update going into effect April 29 for users in Switzerland. Check out the definition of Domestic Transactions: "A “Domestic Transaction“ is a transaction in Swiss francs (CHF) from or to PayPal where the PayPal Accounts of both the sender and the receiver are registered in Switzerland."

PayPal updates for users in Switzerland: https://www.paypal.com/ch/webapps/mpp/ua/feespolicy-full?locale.x=en_CH

Message 12 of 56
latest reply

@be_4101 wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

Replace both with not, AND with BUT.

HUH???  Please elaborate.

Message 13 of 56
latest reply

Never seen that before.... They broke my comment off into its own thread.  

As someone else mentioned (maybe this thread or another), eBay must be salivating over this policy update in Paypal.

Message 14 of 56
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

Sure, I'm always open to clarification, but I just went through this with another venue's managed payments which is why I clued into this right away.  After doing some research I discovered this is a fairly common practice and is something generally negotiated with the payment processor.  Some even charge an additional refund fee in addition to keeping 100% of the transaction fee. 

I sell on two other sites with their own Payment Processing.  Neither do this.  

I'm sure glad this came up in discussion as it is a very important thing to know about.

Message 15 of 56
latest reply