cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund of fees on returns

BTW, are you aware that after May 7th you will no longer get any of your Paypal fees back when you refund?  This means that Paypal will keep both the $.30 AND the 2.9% you originally paid to process the payment through Paypal

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

@lacemaker3 

THANK YOU!  I saw that difference in the extension and was planning to do a little research this morning to see what that meant.  Thank you for being one step ahead.  I absolutely appreciate the clarification for me.  I may not like it, but very glad to have accurate info all the same.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 56
latest reply

>>I'm not concerned as returns are a rare exception for me.
>>I can see how it may be a concern but passing it on to the customer would be acceptable IMO.

It will also be a factor for a sale cancellation (buyer requested, bad buyer address, OOS , whatever), and withholding those PP fees from a refund is likely not going to be an option.
Message 17 of 56
latest reply

It's just a cost of doing business, even when you didn't actually do any business, yanno?
Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 18 of 56
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:
It's just a cost of doing business, even when you didn't actually do any business, yanno?

This change will be an expensive one for both buyers and sellers.  For sellers that give refunds on over payment of shipping charges by the buyer, that will be significantly reduced.

Cancellations at the request of a buyer if a payment is involved.  Ouch for the seller.  

And so much more.  This is a big change.

Message 19 of 56
latest reply

This is common practice with payment processors. What is exceptional, and this is not new, is the ridiculously high percentage and fee that Paypal takes compared to other payment processors.  Those sky high rates might have made sense decades ago when Paypal was the only convenient online money handler.   The high rates no longer are justified.

There are probably a combination of factors at work here.  Clearly this indicates that online returns are growing and hitting Paypal's bottom line.  And it seems Paypal is already trying to compensate from potential lost income once Ebay implements its other payment system.  So we can add Paypal to the list, along with Ebay, of companies that will probably be gone in about 10 more years.

Message 20 of 56
latest reply

Wow, just wow.  

Well, starting this summer all cancellation requests will now be denied due to this.  Another great move by ebay and paypal!  The hits keep coming.  Unbelilevable.

Message 21 of 56
latest reply

This policy will result in another loss for the ebay buyer.  I'm happy to issue cancellation refunds if requested in the first 48 hours, mistakes happen.  But paypal just forced me to end that practice.  Bravo 

Message 22 of 56
latest reply

@epartshighway wrote:

Wow, just wow.  

Well, starting this summer all cancellation requests will now be denied due to this.  Another great move by ebay and paypal!  The hits keep coming.  Unbelilevable.

While I don't like this PP change either for many of the same reasons as others.  This is NOT Ebay's fault.  This is ALL ON PP.

@epartshighway 

Message 23 of 56
latest reply

But it's ebay who allows buyers to cancel for any and all reasons after they've paid and doesn't allow the seller to do anything but a FULL refund.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 24 of 56
latest reply

If you properly describe the item and its condition it should be no issue.

Message 25 of 56
latest reply

@3eyedfishcatcher wrote:

If you properly describe the item and its condition it should be no issue.

You would think so, but not Ebay, if buyer wants a refund, they'll get it, even if they have to lie to get it.

Have a great day.
Message 26 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Cancellations at the request of a buyer if a payment is involved.  Ouch for the seller.  

Agree to the cancellation on the condition the buyer covers the Paypal fees.

Message 27 of 56
latest reply

It’s absurdity at its highest form. The most sickening policy change ever enlisted by PayPal. Aside from the exorbitantly high rate of returns I deal with, of very expensive items, I have many cancelations after purchase, errors in size, color, style, exchanges, bad addresses etc. It’s truly vile & reprehensible charging someone .30 + 2.9-4% in fees in these cases. There should be a reasonable transaction fee like the rest of the retail world pays. This is a disturbing overreach...

Message 28 of 56
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Agree to the cancellation on the condition the buyer covers the Paypal fees.

Except there's no way to enforce that.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 29 of 56
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
But it's ebay who allows buyers to cancel for any and all reasons after they've paid and doesn't allow the seller to do anything but a FULL refund.

As most sellers, including yourself are aware, just because a buyer requests a cancellation, it takes the seller agreeing to it before it actually becomes a cancellation.  Buyers can't cancel a transaction.

With that said, of course in most cases it is in the seller's best interest to grant the cancellation requested.  

Message 30 of 56
latest reply