cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reason: "buyer asked to cancel the order"

I had another one this morning. 

Is there any kind of penalty if i cancel too many orders - at the customers request?

Something else i have noticed. Customers rarely apologize.

Last week i had a large order that i already packed and printed a shipping label for, then i got the request to cancel.  The buyer said his/her kid placed the order without permission. Because the shipping label was already printed and the status of the order was "shipped", it took extra effort to cancel the order. Through the exchange of messages with the buyer, not one "sorry".  If that were me, sorry would be the first thing out of my mouth.  What's happened to the world?

Bye Bye Love - The Cars
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

I've noticed a lack of politeness too in messages.  Rarely is there a "please" sprinkled in an email asking for something.   Cancellations like the one you just received won't hurt you, but I can't imagine asking a seller for one without a "sorry" somewhere in there.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

No penalty to the seller that I'm aware of except that there might be a threshhold at which point ebay starts following up with buyers asking for confirmation. (They say they do this but it's unclear that they actually do)

eBay supposedly keeps track of those buyers though...and a lot of cancellation requests, especially if they also make a lot of return requests, will earn them some negative notice from eBay which can result in their being restricted from buying.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 3 of 35
latest reply

A week or two ago I purchased a multiple quantity of one of your items. I was very pleased with the item, price, and service. Right after that and before my item arrived, eBay kept putting an ad for the same item on the left side of my screen.  It was priced at just about half of what I paid you. This might help explain why sellers keep getting so many cancellations, eBay is queering the deal!!!! Again, I was very pleased with our transaction and if I need more I will certainly buy from you based on your excellent service, but I do think most buyers would cancel and try to save a few pennies at eBay's urging.  They are not helping their sellers in any way.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

There are no penalties when a seller cancels a transaction at buyer’s request.

There is a disheartening downward trend in the use of manners among the general public. 

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

I work in a customer facing position and I've noticed the trend as well. Practically every 2nd or 3rd "request" is phrased as a "demand" with nary a please in sight.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@inhawaii   Politeness seems to be a thing of the past at times ... not sure if you believe the story about their child placing the order or not ... the only request for cancellation I would believe would read something like this, " Dear Seller, I have changed my mind, would you please cancel the order for me?  Thank you, Buyer"

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 7 of 35
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

There is a disheartening downward trend in the use of manners among the general public. 

×××××××××××××××××××××

Are manners almost a foreign language ?

Perhaps manny people basically desire & often feel

entitled to whatever they want, & manners are  inconvenient

If Self interest runs rampant, then am I not most important,  by being #1 , everything is really about me, me, me

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

I hate to admit it, but i eat at McDonalds a lot. Too much.  I use the drive-thru. 

Do you know how many times I get handed my bag without a "thank you", "please come again", "have a nice day", "i hate you", "you're ugly"  or ANYTHING!

I'm not sure what company policy is, but you would think that any major fast food chain would have a "thank you" policy.  It's common courtesy.

Maybe common courtesy is not so common anymore? 

Bye Bye Love - The Cars
Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I hate to admit it, but i eat at McDonalds a lot. Too much.  I use the drive-thru. 

Do you know how many times I get handed my bag without a "thank you", "please come again", "have a nice day", "i hate you", "you're ugly"  or ANYTHING!

I'm not sure what company policy is, but you would think that any major fast food chain would have a "thank you" policy.  It's common courtesy.

I have a kind of petty pet peeve about being thanked by the merchant/cashier.  Namely, I won't say thank you first any more.

I get handed my change/bag/receipt whatever and typically nowadays I get

• crickets
  • Here ya go (that's usually when I'm handed a wad of bills and coins with the receipt and expected to trust that it's correct)
  • Have a great day

OK here's the part where I'm petty. I admit it.

• If they say thank you, I say thank you back.
  • If they say nothing, I say nothing.
  • If they say "Here ya go"  I say "OK." The tone I say that in depends on how much of a messy handful of change I'm handed especially if there's so many coupons I have to set my pocketbook down and engage both hands.
  • If they say "Have a great day."  I say "You too."

Interestingly, despite failing to thank me, a lot of cashiers seem to mistake "OK" for "Thank you".  So the most common response I get to OK is....wait for it....

You're welcome!

huh!

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:

No penalty to the seller that I'm aware of except that there might be a threshhold at which point ebay starts following up with buyers asking for confirmation. (They say they do this but it's unclear that they actually do)

eBay supposedly keeps track of those buyers though...and a lot of cancellation requests, especially if they also make a lot of return requests, will earn them some negative notice from eBay which can result in their being restricted from buying.

@city*satins wrote:

I don't think they do. The reason I say this is because I had a buyer ask for a refund because of a payment snafu she blamed on ebay. I cancelled the order because she said she was going to wait until she received her item before straightening out the payment, meaning I was to ship before payment. She harassed me with emails demanding that I not cancel her order. Then demanded that I send her an invoice to sell it off of ebay. I stopped communicating with her after that.

She left me a negative because I was nice enough to give her 9 days to pay and for basically doing what she asked me to do after she paid. Thankfully ebay removed it after reading the 14 emails she hit me with.

All that to say this: If buyers had to confirm the cancellation, mine would not have confirmed it because she clearly did not want to cancel. I checked my invoice to make sure I received a fee credit and made sure there were no defects added. 

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

My local McDonald's practically throws the bag into my car through the window. No words necessary after that.

But I will throw out a loud Thank You anyway just to see what will happen. By the time I get those 2 words out, she is already gone.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

People nowadays are rarely polite. They're taught to "be honest" vs. being polite.

When I was a kid, being polite was drilled into me. It was a way to prevent fights and show respect to others and their "space", not just a way to avoid responsibility or rightful blame.

And it's true. The people who are less polite get into more fights/arguments. You know, most people will give you more slack the politer you are to them, saying sorry for troubling you, thank you, sir, m'aam, excuse me, stepping aside to let an elderly person pass by & helping them if they have problems

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Sadly, manners, courtesy, people even acknowledging each other is fading fast. It's very sad, don't know if this is just a US phenomenon or Worldwide.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

I found a woman's wallet in the parking lot of USPS last week. Took it inside and handed it to the postal clerk and told him I just found it on the ground. A woman in her 50's turns around, grabs it, says that's mine and proceeds to talk to the USPS clerk.

He looked at me, I looked at him, she never even turned her back to acknowledge me, never even looked at me, just snatched it out of my hand and returned to her business of buying stamps.

I said to her very loudly, "You're SUPER welcome!" and started to walk away.

She said, without ever turning to see who I even was, "Yeah".

I'm liking my animals more and more.
Message 15 of 35
latest reply