cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rash of Buyers Asking for Veterans or Military Wounded Discounts

I've been quite active on ebay for 20 years and never until this month have I received messages from potential buyers asking for military related discounts. Retired military, vets, wounded vets, etc.  I'm getting messages "How much to buy it now for a wounded Vet"  Or "I am disabled ex-military. I can't afford your item but really would cherish it, how about a discount" type things.  When I saw my first one I didn't think much of it, and I did offer a discount and made the sale but only because it was something I was glad to get rid of :).  But now I've received several such messages over the past couple weeks.  Personallly I've decided they're all just people scamming for a discount.  Wounded vets don't really have a need for collectibles. Anyone else getting a bunch of these messages?

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

@*madison wrote:

Most people (or perhaps all of them ) coming out with a sob story fishing for a discount are liars.

Frankly, that's sort of a rude statement, in my opinion.  However, I suppose there are plenty of sob stories out there.  Brings to mind the Sherlock Holmes case about the man with the twisted lip.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 46 of 71
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

The factual statement is that regardless of who they are (or pretend to be) or their background or financial or health status, NO ONE NEEDS collectibles.  Purchases like that are always optional.  If they don't have the money to pay full price, how do they have the money to buy it at 10 or 15 or even 20% off?

Frankly, you are correct.  NO ONE NEEDS COLLECTIBLES.  Discounts offered to veterans and senior citizens aren't in my opinion meant as a form of charity, but rather as some form of thank you or appreciation for them having served their country or, in the case of senior citizens as a sign of respect for their elders.

As a veteran of the Vietnam War, I can assure you that I don't need a discount to buy what I fancy buying.  Actually, as a Vietnam vet, not receiving a discount wouldn't be too much of a let down either.  After all, Nam Vets are use to that sort of thing.

Message 47 of 71
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@themagicmountain wrote:

They need to show proof at those stores to get the military discount.

Actually, Lowe's, starting the 1st of the year has tied the military discount to their MyLowe's card so it is going to be automatic.  Prior to that, cashier's had to enter it in.  The first time I got it the cashier noticed my hat and asked me if I was a veteran.  Since then I simply showed my VA card.

I can't believe I didn't know this for years. I could have saved a bunch of cash.

PA puts little flags on our drivers licenses now when you are a veteran.

Can you add that somehow online at lowes or do you have to go to the customer service desk for it to be attached to the mylowes card?

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

@themagicmountain wrote:

They need to show proof at those stores to get the military discount.

Actually, Lowe's, starting the 1st of the year has tied the military discount to their MyLowe's card so it is going to be automatic.  Prior to that, cashier's had to enter it in.  The first time I got it the cashier noticed my hat and asked me if I was a veteran.  Since then I simply showed my VA card.

I can't believe I didn't know this for years. I could have saved a bunch of cash.

PA puts little flags on our drivers licenses now when you are a veteran.

Can you add that somehow online at lowes or do you have to go to the customer service desk for it to be attached to the mylowes card?

If you've already got a myLowes card you can log into your account and put in your military status.  Basically, it just your name, branch of service, DOB and Military Service Dates from your DD214.

or you can go to Lowes.com/MyLowes

Message 49 of 71
latest reply

Thanks,  Dennis. I'll log in to add it to mylowes card.

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

Evening,

I think the discount for veterans is awesome and I think every vet should take advantage of this discount if offered in a sellers listing and be ready to provide the info needed.

I don't think it's proper for anyone, including veterans, to look to be treated special if folks have not indicated such an offer in their listings.

Matter of fact, most likely many of the ebay sellers are probably veterans and need the sales generated here to help make ends meet.

For those veterans reading my post, THANK YOU,  many of us do not get a lot of opportunity's to express our appreciation.

Mr C

A few Christmases ago, I was in the grocery and passed by a soldier in full dress uniform and his Dad.  I felt badly and backtracked back to them, and excused myself but I just wanted to take a moment to thank him for his service to us and to our country.  

Both of them were floored and very grateful.  They got tears in their eyes.  They told me that most people just look the other way as if they are an embarrassment, so I apologized for those people, and said, most likely they did not know what to say, and possibly they regretted it later.

I wished them both a very Merry Christmas and New Year and hoped that God would richly bless them always.  We had a very pleasant chat and I think the three of us were all better for having taken that time to do so.  

I am so glad I backtracked in that store.  Remember, you shall only pass this way but once...

Message 51 of 71
latest reply

I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

ETIENNE DE GRELLET

Quaker missionary

Message 52 of 71
latest reply

Offering a discount to a disabled vet is no different than offering one to anybody else with a disability or 'condition'.  You either do or you don't.  I would suggest that one does it in person - in a face to face transaction - rather than on the internet where anyone can be anyone.  Be able to look the person in the face.

Quiet as it's kept, disabled vets are people, too - there are as many scammers in their ranks as there are in the ranks of the homeless or the ranks of the 'lost my job and have 3 infants to care for' or the ranks of  the 'I have as sick child' ranks, etc.  - some are real and some are scammers.

(personal experience - your mileage may vary)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 53 of 71
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

you can log into your account and put in your military status.  Basically, it just your name, branch of service, DOB and Military Service Dates from your DD214.

The verification system they use couldn't find mine.  Too long ago I guess.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 54 of 71
latest reply

Since so many vets are posting here, I have one thing to say...

Coin check!!!

Coin-Check.JPG

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 55 of 71
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Offering a discount to a disabled vet is no different than offering one to anybody else with a disability or 'condition'.  You either do or you don't.  I would suggest that one does it in person - in a face to face transaction - rather than on the internet where anyone can be anyone.  Be able to look the person in the face.

Quiet as it's kept, disabled vets are people, too - there are as many scammers in their ranks as there are in the ranks of the homeless or the ranks of the 'lost my job and have 3 infants to care for' or the ranks of  the 'I have as sick child' ranks, etc.  - some are real and some are scammers.

(personal experience - your mileage may vary)

Oh!  I should point out that most of the companies that offer Veteran's Discounts do for all veterans not just those that are disabled.  

Message 56 of 71
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

you can log into your account and put in your military status.  Basically, it just your name, branch of service, DOB and Military Service Dates from your DD214.

I'm not sure what to do about that.  I suppose taking a copy of your DD214 or if your service was before the use of the DD214 a copy of your Discharge to the service desk might work.  I'm not sure though.

Message 57 of 71
latest reply

"Oh!  I should point out that most of the companies that offer Veteran's Discounts do for all veterans not just those that are disabled.  "

Quite true.  I don't go there too often.  I should have expressed myself better.  

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 58 of 71
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@*madison wrote:

Most people (or perhaps all of them ) coming out with a sob story fishing for a discount are liars.

Frankly, that's sort of a rude statement, in my opinion.  However, I suppose there are plenty of sob stories out there.  Brings to mind the Sherlock Holmes case about the man with the twisted lip.

@7606dennis wrote:

@*madison wrote:

Sometimes the truth does sound rude..

Thing is, if people come out with sob stories for a necessity, like food for example, they are more believable. But people coming out with a sob story for an item, something they can live without, is not all that believable. I also think those kind of people have no self respect..

There is only one sob story I have ever believed, and it was from my neighbour who didn't have enough money to feed his cat until his next pay cheque which was one week away.  And he didn't ask me for money either, he asked me for tins of cat food, so I gave him one week supply for free.

Btw, I'm not a Sherlock fan, so I don't know the story about the man with a twisted lip. I'm a Columbo fan.

Message 59 of 71
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@chrysylys wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

I'm not sure what to do about that.  I suppose taking a copy of your DD214 or if your service was before the use of the DD214 a copy of your Discharge to the service desk might work.  I'm not sure though.

This is what they say on the site about verifying in-store:

Bring any US military documentation that clearly shows your first and last name, date of birth or discharge/retire date and a clear affiliation with the military. Examples of accepted documents include Military ID, Veterans Identification Card, Common Access Card, Uniform Services Information Card or DD214.