cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rash of Buyers Asking for Veterans or Military Wounded Discounts

I've been quite active on ebay for 20 years and never until this month have I received messages from potential buyers asking for military related discounts. Retired military, vets, wounded vets, etc.  I'm getting messages "How much to buy it now for a wounded Vet"  Or "I am disabled ex-military. I can't afford your item but really would cherish it, how about a discount" type things.  When I saw my first one I didn't think much of it, and I did offer a discount and made the sale but only because it was something I was glad to get rid of :).  But now I've received several such messages over the past couple weeks.  Personallly I've decided they're all just people scamming for a discount.  Wounded vets don't really have a need for collectibles. Anyone else getting a bunch of these messages?

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

If they are asking and giving a sob story, chances are, they are not legitimate.

You could always ask to see a notarized DD214 though.  All the vets I know, including myself; don't specifically seek out and ask about military discounts.  If a merchant does offer one, then sure; no problems taking them up on their kindness.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 2 of 71
latest reply

I might  be inclined to ask how they propose to establish their status as a vet and/or wounded  vet.   If they say it's a  nice gift to a vet refer them to do the same.

You could suggest all your prices have the vet's discount already in the listing price, but being a kindly seller and in the spirit of giving  almost everyone in America can get that same discount by simply bidding and paying and enjoying.

Anyone who responded telling me I could  do this or do that to prove their claim and expect me put forth the effort  to do so, I would ignore and block.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 3 of 71
latest reply

I as well do not ask for a discount, but take it where it is offered.

More places are offering.  AAFES has now opened their stores B&M, and online to all veterans.  Not out of gratitude, but more likely in an attempt to boost declining revenues.

I have not had requests for military discounts on eBay accounts.

Message 4 of 71
latest reply

@pogofuzz wrote:

I've been quite active on ebay for 20 years and never until this month have I received messages from potential buyers asking for military related discounts. Retired military, vets, wounded vets, etc.  I'm getting messages "How much to buy it now for a wounded Vet"  Or "I am disabled ex-military. I can't afford your item but really would cherish it, how about a discount" type things.  When I saw my first one I didn't think much of it, and I did offer a discount and made the sale but only because it was something I was glad to get rid of :).  But now I've received several such messages over the past couple weeks.  Personallly I've decided they're all just people scamming for a discount.  Wounded vets don't really have a need for collectibles. Anyone else getting a bunch of these messages?

What an offensive statement!!!

After a quick look at your listings it's obvious any wounded vet would surely cherish having that Kalart Victor Animatograph Projector Spindle Spring Belt Part Number # 16164 NOS...
"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 6 of 71
latest reply

You are aware that veterans, wounded or otherwise are simply people, who can have an interest in anything anyone else may have an interest in?

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 7 of 71
latest reply

Reminds me of going up and down downtown Las Vegas. I would see many people asking for money. Many of them would say something about being VETS. I ask many of them if they had proof that they were a Vet. A few were Vets...Many weren't. I gave a donation to the ones that had their cards.

I think it is a scam. My Son is a Vet and I don't think he runs around asking for discounts on eBay. Smiley Wink pam

Message 8 of 71
latest reply

I think it is improper to ask if not offered in the description, but I would call their bluff and if they sent me a photo of their card I might give them 10% why not? 

Once I had the I have stage 4 cancer claim AFTER the buyer paid, wanting a post-sale discount....well, I wanted to say but did not, if it's that advanced you can't take the widget with you....

Message 9 of 71
latest reply

Evening,

I think the discount for veterans is awesome and I think every vet should take advantage of this discount if offered in a sellers listing and be ready to provide the info needed.

I don't think it's proper for anyone, including veterans, to look to be treated special if folks have not indicated such an offer in their listings.

Matter of fact, most likely many of the ebay sellers are probably veterans and need the sales generated here to help make ends meet.

For those veterans reading my post, THANK YOU,  many of us do not get a lot of opportunity's to express our appreciation.

Mr C

Message 10 of 71
latest reply

" I'm getting messages "How much to buy it now for a wounded Vet"  Or "I am disabled ex-military. I can't afford your item but really would cherish it, how about a discount" type things."

-----------------

Smart sellers are buying low enough,

and pricing high enough that they can absorb a reasonable discount.

Me?  I could take 20% off each and every listing and still profit.

So, why not use this as a marketing advantage?

Answer each and all requests in the affirmative, offering them a 20% discount.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 11 of 71
latest reply

OR

maybe such requests are mainly originating from

buyers who aren't the ideal type we'd like to sell to?

Perhaps it'd be better,

to instead state in each listing that you'll accept a Best Offer

from any veteran, etc  (no need to verify by DD214)

and give them the 20% off.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 12 of 71
latest reply

If I thought it would do some good, I would do the same to any sob story request for a discount as I do to the scam charities that fund raise call here 5 - 10 times a day...I reach for the airhorn.  But if I can just email, I block them like I do anyone that makes an offer.

(*Bleep*)
Message 13 of 71
latest reply

@pogofuzz wrote:

Wounded vets don't really have a need for collectibles.

As the mother of a disabled vet, I am truly offended by that statement, and I don't get offended.  I hope to God you never have to go through what my child went through. Oh wait...yes I do. It would be punishment for that horrible statement. Smiley Mad

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 71
latest reply

Hi Southern,

Sadly many dishonest folks take advantage of the goodwilll many of us have for those who have served and more so for those who have become injured or have lost their lives.

It's a very low indiviual who prays on this sentiment.

In closing...I offer you my heart felt understanding and prayers and ask if and when they time is right that you let your child know that I am deeply sorry for what they have to endure.

Mr C

Message 15 of 71
latest reply