cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rash of Buyers Asking for Veterans or Military Wounded Discounts

I've been quite active on ebay for 20 years and never until this month have I received messages from potential buyers asking for military related discounts. Retired military, vets, wounded vets, etc.  I'm getting messages "How much to buy it now for a wounded Vet"  Or "I am disabled ex-military. I can't afford your item but really would cherish it, how about a discount" type things.  When I saw my first one I didn't think much of it, and I did offer a discount and made the sale but only because it was something I was glad to get rid of :).  But now I've received several such messages over the past couple weeks.  Personallly I've decided they're all just people scamming for a discount.  Wounded vets don't really have a need for collectibles. Anyone else getting a bunch of these messages?

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: Rash of Buyers Asking for Veterans or Military Wounded Discounts

@pogofuzz wrote:

I've been quite active on ebay for 20 years and never until this month have I received messages from potential buyers asking for military related discounts. Retired military, vets, wounded vets, etc.  I'm getting messages "How much to buy it now for a wounded Vet"  Or "I am disabled ex-military. I can't afford your item but really would cherish it, how about a discount" type things.  When I saw my first one I didn't think much of it, and I did offer a discount and made the sale but only because it was something I was glad to get rid of :).  But now I've received several such messages over the past couple weeks.  Personallly I've decided they're all just people scamming for a discount.  Wounded vets don't really have a need for collectibles. Anyone else getting a bunch of these messages?

If the offer is something you will accept then "thank them for their service" and take the money ...

Message 16 of 71
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@pogofuzz wrote:

Wounded vets don't really have a need for collectibles.

As the mother of a disabled vet, I am truly offended by that statement

If someone needs a discount in order to afford a collectible, they don't really have a need for it - whether they are a wounded vet or not. 

Message 17 of 71
latest reply

I had a kid a few years back ask if I could just send him for free an mp3 player I had up for sale, so he could listen to music while doing his community service.  Granted, he wasn't claiming vet status, but it was still an extreme example of entitlement mindedness.  That one simply got the Khan treatment (no, not buried alive in the heart of a dead world, but...)

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 18 of 71
latest reply

".  Wounded vets don't really have a need for collectibles."     If you had left this out I would side with you but that statement alone puts you in the same catagory as the ones you are complaining about .

Message 19 of 71
latest reply

Do you offer senior discounts? Maybe AARP membership discount?
I knew people in the Viet Nam military action (war). Many mothers and wives suffered losing their sons and daughters. When I find out they were in that war I try to remember to thank them because it was a thankless war, well, they all are.
Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 20 of 71
latest reply

@chung-lee-2 wrote:

".  Wounded vets don't really have a need for collectibles."     If you had left this out I would side with you but that statement alone puts you in the same catagory as the ones you are complaining about .

Difference between needs and wants. Doesnt matter if someone is a vet or not.

Personally I would give a discount to active or retired, police, firefighters, military, just as a thank you.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 21 of 71
latest reply

There are some businesses that do discounts for military veterans, Lowe's & Michael's come to mind right off hand.  I must admit that I tend to shop at those that do but I don't expect it from most businesses nor do I usually ask a business if they offer one.  However, I know some vets that do ask.  Apparently their reasoning is it can't hurt to ask.

Frankly, I don't usually offer discounts for veterans or any other group.  I believe my services are fairly priced and that all my clients deserve to pay the same price for the same service.  Of course, that's not to say that I do not freely donate my services and property to causes that I believe in and support.  That includes veteran's and other charitable organizations.

Alas!  I get inundated with requests for donations from numerous organizations via telephone and mail.  Frankly, it has gotten to the point that I'm not receptive to cold calls asking for donations.

With regard to veteran's discounts, senior discounts and the like, I appreciate places that offer them.  However, they are not something that I expect or consider to be owed to me.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 22 of 71
latest reply

The scammers at work again. They never stop.

I hope people don't fall for this scam. It only encourages them.

Don't answer. Ebay should let us report them.

and if they are real vets, it's an insult to vets who do things like SELL ON EBAY so they can have money to buy toys and playthings.

Are we turning into a nation of scammers?

Message 23 of 71
latest reply

There is no offense in saying it's an insult to VETS to ask for discounts on playthings and baubles when  they could sell on Ebay  for money for toys just like all the disabled people, elderly, struggling parents and everyone else

Message 24 of 71
latest reply

I'm really offended by the military who were hurt or killed in wars in recent years that we never should have been involved in. "Wars for peace" UGH. I wish we could bring them back. I don't know, I think people should question a lot more of what they get told. Something went crazy at some point

Message 25 of 71
latest reply

They need to show proof at those stores to get the military discount.

Message 26 of 71
latest reply

All buyers are created equal and they all pay the same price.

With the possible exception of those below recognized poverty/income guidelines (and there's no way to reliably prove that over the web).

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 27 of 71
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@pogofuzz wrote:

Wounded vets don't really have a need for collectibles.

As the mother of a disabled vet, I am truly offended by that statement, and I don't get offended.  

If you don't get offended, how did you truly get offended ?

Message 28 of 71
latest reply

Most people (or perhaps all of them ) coming out with a sob story fishing for a discount are liars.

Message 29 of 71
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

Perhaps it'd be better,

to instead state in each listing that you'll accept a Best Offer

from any veteran, etc  (no need to verify by DD214)

and give them the 20% off.

Lynn

No it wouldn't be better, because then most, or perhaps all of the ops buyers will all be veterans. In other words, most of them will be liars.

Message 30 of 71
latest reply