cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Appealing a Dispute Decision

I recently sold property on eBay and eBay wrongfully charged the buyer sales tax. The buyer spoke with two people at eBay and they both agreed that sales tax should not have been charged, so he opened a dispute. I received an email from eBay yesterday saying that they found in the buyer's favor and that the sales tax amount and a $20 dispute fee was going to be removed from my bank account. 

Doesn't eBay keep the sales tax that is charged? So shouldn't eBay be paying the buyer back?

Also, I tried to call the 800 number for eBay and I got a message that it's outside of business hours. But it says they are open from 5 am to 930 pm PT and it's 2 pm PT. Is it actually possible to speak with someone or is there another way to open a dispute? 

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

@mam98031 wrote:

@spansy02 wrote:

I don't believe the OP has said that Ebay took the money from them.  However since they charged them the $20 fee, it sounds like they did.  Which makes me question if the OP left out some details.  

The sales tax amount plus $20 has been removed from my bank account.

I'm not sure what information everyone thinks I'm withholding. This is what I know. 

I sold a cemetery plot.

The buyer was charge sales tax by eBay and he paid it.

After he paid it, he opened a dispute, saying that he shouldn't have been charge sales tax.

He spoke with 2 people at eBay and they agreed. 

I replied to the dispute and explained what was going on (that eBay charges sales tax when they shouldn't have).

eBay sent the information to his credit card company for review. 

The credit card company sided with the buyer.

eBay then sent a message to me, saying they were going to remove the sales tax plus $20 from my bank account, which they did.

But really this isn't what I needed help with. I just needed to confirm that eBay should have been the one to pay the sales tax back and I needed to know how to actually contact eBay. 

Also, people saying that there's no 800 number need to mess around with eBay's help bot. Because that thing gives out an 800 number. And it's definitely the eBay website. I never did an internet search.

I have a clearer understanding now, thank you.  

I know some have said the 800 number doesn't exist, but it does.  However Ebay does NOT want members using it.  They will may phase it out completely in the near future.

As a CAUTION to anyone that is going to go looking for the 800 number.  If you perform an Internet Search, it is highly likely that the info you get WILL BE for sites set up to SCAM you.

Well Ebay certainly made a mistake here.  Both on taking the refund from you and for charging you the $20.  We have been discussing this for about 3 days now.  Are you only willing to use the 800 number you have or are you willing to try other options?  Or if you have, what are they saying to you?

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

This appears to be an OOPS by Ebay.  

devon@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

Hey @mam98031! Thank you for sharing all of the best way to get ahold of customer support. Just as you recommended I will piggyback off of that and highly suggest that @spansy02 reach out to us via on of the methods shared so that way they can be guided to the correct team to look into this with more detail. 

Devon,
eBay
Message 61 of 68
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Thank you.  Except they have done that and it isn't working.  From what has been shared here this is an Ebay OOPS that only they can fix.  But if you can't get to anyone to fix it, what is a member to do?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 62 of 68
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

devon@ebay 

Thank you.  Except they have done that and it isn't working.  From what has been shared here this is an Ebay OOPS that only they can fix.  But if you can't get to anyone to fix it, what is a member to do?

@mam98031 I will try to reach out and see what can be done but if I can have @spansy02 reach out to us at askcommunity@ebay.com via email so that way we can get all of the details of this and try to connect them to the right place.

Devon,
eBay
Message 63 of 68
latest reply

Thank you Devon.  @spansy02  I hope you will take Devon up on his offer to try and get you the proper help.

Message 64 of 68
latest reply

Did yall not read ALL of the OP's update yesterday (message #55)?  They got resolution already, or at least the promise of it: "He read the dispute and said he would refund the money right away. So we'll see what happens."  

Message 65 of 68
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

Did yall not read ALL of the OP's update yesterday (message #55)?  They got resolution already, or at least the promise of it: "He read the dispute and said he would refund the money right away. So we'll see what happens."  

I read.  The OP to my knowledge has not had resolution to this issue.  At least not that they have reported here.  IDK about you, but I've been told things from someone at CS and it has never come to pass.  However I hope you are right and the OP has this problem fixed and refunded to them already.  That would be the best outcome.

Ebay should refund the amount they forced the seller to refund the buyer.

They should refund the $20 Chargeback Fee

And they should refund the OP for the FVFs on the Sales tax that Ebay was responsible to refund [even though they should not have been made to in the first place].

Message 66 of 68
latest reply

So have you received the refund you were told you would get?  

Message 67 of 68
latest reply

Yes, update please @spansy02 .  We have been trying to help you, please don't leave us without knowing your outcome.

Message 68 of 68
latest reply