cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protecting myself from scam buyers.

I have read the discussions suggesting immediate payment, signature confirmation etc, but no answer to the problem of someone saying they got a box of rocks. Their payment is refunded and you have lost a valuable item. Mine is worth about $1000 and I have a zero feedback buyer winning so far with a few days to go. Is there any method to remove him as a buyer? If it was a less expensive item, I would just go ahead and sell to him.

I see that Ebay has a form to cancel a bid on your auction, but would a zero feedback be an acceptable reason? Any suggestions on how to avoid a loss?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

There is no way to avoid a loss here. You can cancel bids for any reason. If you cancel the bid, make sure to put the member on your blocked bidder list. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

There is no way to avoid a loss here. You can cancel bids for any reason. If you cancel the bid, make sure to put the member on your blocked bidder list. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You're selling a high-value but not particularly high-scam item, and your zero-feedback bidder's actions so far look genuine, not the bidding activity of a scammer. He's not bidding in multiple auctions, and is bidding only enough to stay ahead of his competition.

Generally speaking, a scammer is going to wait until the end of the auction, and then snipe to win with 3 seconds left, with some sky-high bid that he doesn't care about because he'll either attempt a fake payment notification, or pay while planning to file a bogus dispute later on.

So I see no value in cancelling this particular bidder. Generally speaking, though, you might have been better off just listing it as a BuyItNow at your desired price, with no Make Offer and with the Immediate Payment Required option checked. That would get you past the fake-payment scams, and then you need to worry only about the post-delivery scams. Your current leader may just be a train collector who opened an eBay account in order to get your item.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@jttrain wrote:

I have read the discussions suggesting immediate payment, signature confirmation etc, but no answer to the problem of someone saying they got a box of rocks. Their payment is refunded and you have lost a valuable item.

Any suggestions on how to avoid a loss?

There is only one way that I know of to protect against a loss:  local pick-up and cash.   Other than that, there is always a chance for a loss.   So, only list items where you feel the profit outweighs the risk (I don't list items on eBay over about $300 for this reason).

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You can put them in your blocked buyer list now. See if that ends their bids.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

So I see no value in cancelling this particular bidder.

Plus if you do - the price will collapse down to about $630 from $731 due to the offers from the two bidders that will be left in play.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks everyone. I have learned a bit more about Ebay. Have emailed the bidder as a fellow model railroader and his quick reply sounds pretty authentic as to his reasons for bidding. I will probably wait a while and see what happens. He may not win.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

@jttrain wrote:

I have read the discussions suggesting immediate payment, signature confirmation etc, but no answer to the problem of someone saying they got a box of rocks. Their payment is refunded and you have lost a valuable item.

There is only one way that I know of to protect against a loss:  local pick-up and cash.   Other than that, there is always a chance for a loss.   So, only list items where you feel the profit outweighs the risk (I don't list items on eBay over about $300 for this reason).

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I think I recently read on one of these threads from a blue that ebay even has protections in place for local pick ups and you could still claim SNAD....

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

@jttrain wrote:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I think I recently read on one of these threads from a blue that ebay even has protections in place for local pick ups and you could still claim SNAD....

They don't have protections in place a local pickup paid for with CASH which is what Orangehound suggested.

The buyer can't file SNAD when they pay with cash.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply