cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promotional fees

EBay’s Promotional Fees were once a fraction of the listing price and with that said it was worth it to promote most items to get the exposure.  In recent weeks the fee has gone up to $2.99 per item.  With many listed auction items beginning at $2.99, what happens if the listing sells for just $2.99?  -OR- if an item is listed at a BIN price of $2.99?  Where’s the profit?  Is it then worth raising the price of the items much higher so as to make a little extra money?  I’ve heard that higher priced items have a better chance of selling because they appear to be more valuable than the lower priced ones…comments?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Promotional fees

Were do you see that the cost is $2.99?

Are you looking at the new 'advanced' promotions or the one that has been around for a while and still is a percentage of the selling price afaik.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I think you are talking about the Promoted Listings Advanced? The new per click PLA that came out this month.

The old Promoted Listings Standard is still % based 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hi @5256terri,

Since you have auction and bin items I wonder if the fee you saw was for Promoted Listings Express, our easy advertising option for auction-style listings without BIN prices.

Our flagship advertising option, Promoted Listings Standard, is only available for fixed-price listings and the ad fees are based on the final sale price of the item.

Since auction items’ final sale price will likely change as bids come in, we decided to use an upfront, flat fee model to keep ad costs predictable for our sellers.

We recommend following eBay listing best practices to help ensure your promoted listings are high quality and attractive to buyers:

• Categorize your listings properly.
  • Include relevant keywords in titles.
  • Use high quality photos with clear backgrounds.

We will follow this thread in case you have any follow up questions.

Thanks!

~eBayAdsTeam

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@5256terri wrote:

EBay’s Promotional Fees were once a fraction of the listing price and with that said it was worth it to promote most items to get the exposure.  In recent weeks the fee has gone up to $2.99 per item.  With many listed auction items beginning at $2.99, what happens if the listing sells for just $2.99?  -OR- if an item is listed at a BIN price of $2.99?  Where’s the profit?  Is it then worth raising the price of the items much higher so as to make a little extra money?  I’ve heard that higher priced items have a better chance of selling because they appear to be more valuable than the lower priced ones…comments?

no it don't, YOU set the elected percentage rate of Promoted Listings, not ebay. Did you use it on BIN listing or on Auction listing? 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

adsteam@ebay wrote:

Hi @5256terri,

Since you have auction and bin items I wonder if the fee you saw was for Promoted Listings Express, our easy advertising option for auction-style listings without BIN prices.

Our flagship advertising option, Promoted Listings Standard, is only available for fixed-price listings and the ad fees are based on the final sale price of the item.

Since auction items’ final sale price will likely change as bids come in, we decided to use an upfront, flat fee model to keep ad costs predictable for our sellers.

We recommend following eBay listing best practices to help ensure your promoted listings are high quality and attractive to buyers:

• Categorize your listings properly.
  • Include relevant keywords in titles.
  • Use high quality photos with clear backgrounds.

We will follow this thread in case you have any follow up questions.

Thanks!

~eBayAdsTeam

adsteam@ebay  I noticed on the link about Promoted Listings Express it says it's for "consumer to consumer sellers" but in the help page about it for eligibility criteria it just says 

For sellers to be eligible for Promoted Listings Express, you need to meet all of the following criteria:

You are a seller using My eBay
Your seller level is Above Standard or Top Rated
You have recent sales history

Can you clarify if this is for all sellers using My eBay or if it is limited only to "consumer sellers" specifically using a personal account vs a business account?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

adsteam@ebay- Can you clarify the part about being a seller that uses My eBay? Didn't My eBay pretty much go away when eBay integrated the old All Selling page into Seller Hub?

"Consumer to consumer"- is that an internal term eBay uses? Some of these eligibility requirements are as clear as mud.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I guess I should clarify that I know exactly what "consumer to consumer" means- but eBay never uses those terms. They say things like "new and casual" or "hobby" sellers. I was trying (badly) to make a point that it's a departure from the typical lingo we hear from eBay.

Is it exclusive to casual sellers or are sellers that eBay classifies as business sellers also eligible? The fees are steep if this is exclusive to casual sellers. eBay pushes new sellers and app users into the auction format even though the format is usually not relevant to what they're listing- is that who eBay is targeting?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Hi @valueaddedresource,

Thank you for flagging this, the help page was not supposed to say consumer-to-consumer and we will that ASAP. As for your question, this is the correct eligibility and "seller using My eBay" includes sellers that do not use Seller Hub.  

• You are a seller using My eBay
  • Your seller level is Above Standard or Top Rated
  • You have recent sales history

~eBayAdsTeam

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I’m seeing her quotes of 8 and 9 dollars in $5 items- conveniently popped up to make it easy to mistakenly push the “yes please take my Money” button.

EBay is becoming an unusable, unprofitable way to sell….. maybe time to just move on? 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Are there still sellers who do not use Seller Hub?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Selling $5.00 items has become very unprofitable, yes. Hardly worth the time and effort, IMO.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply