cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted / Sponsored Listings are Destroying Search - Equals Lower GMV for the Site & Sellers

For those looking for reasons why GMV is tanking, I would nominate the now crazy overuse of promoted "Sponsored" listings in search results.  Was looking to buy business supplies from eBay vendors, but the current search spams the results with at least two sponsored listings  at the **top** of the page. Meaning you now have to scroll to even see the first non-sponsored listings (the ones you searched for in the order you desired) and there are now just room for a few generic results on the page because top and bottom are now clogged with sponsored listings.  It's absolutely nuts.  Not many consumers are going to stick around long if that's the sort of obstacle course you have to navigate to find what you are looking for -  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Promoted / Sponsored Listings are Destroying Search - Equals Lower GMV for the Site & Sellers

At the bottom of the page you can customize how many search results appear per page- from 24 up to 192. A few sponsored listings shouldn't matter.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Disagree.

I think for buyers there should never be anything put between seeing the search results they desire in their chosen order (sort).  The prime placement now on the eBay search result page goes to multiple promoted listings, ignoring the consumers choice and muddling the shopping process.  Sacrificing the long term ease of use for short term revenue boost. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@threshold.sales.group

If that many sellers are using sponsored listings then that is a very good sign the tool is useful and produces revenue for the sellers.  Regardless if it produces revenue for eBay is secondary to buyers purchasing from these listings and sellers creating successful transaction.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

You do realize overall dollar sales (GMV) for sellers on the site are down? Not just slower growing, but down from last year. In the ecommerce space that is still rapidly growing, that's hard to do. Something isn't working and I think one of the reasons is poor search results presented to consumers in a muddle.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also disagree.  My views have tanked.  My sales have slowed down and even when you change search words or information your items don't get viewed.  People watch your items for months but never do anything.  You send offers, they ignore it.  I don't get the point

Message 6 of 6
latest reply