cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted Listings now available for Off eBay as well....

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Promoted Listings now available for Off eBay as well....

I asked about this on ebay for business facebook page, and here's the answer I got: "This would only apply to links that eBay uses as part of our external marketing"

So, for now at least, I'm taking that to mean if I place a link on Pinterest, it won't be treated as a PL.

OK, so I'm all in....happy to give this a shot.....

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  I had a thought today about one thing some sellers will want to be aware of when deciding whether or not to stay opted in to external PL.

It won't affect people who only sell on eBay, but any sellers who also sell on other channels, especially their own websites, may end up basically competing with themselves on this.

If you choose to allow eBay to promote externally at x% for the PL and you also use pay per click Google ads to promote the same product on your site for example, the eBay listing ad may show higher than your direct ad in the results. 

That may not necessarily be a deal breaker for some, but something those sellers should definitely consider.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@valueaddedresource  Good point.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I've been hoping to do more with social media, and I'm not sure how that would work with this. If I post an ebay link to Pinterest, for example, and a buyer clicks through to ebay and buys, right now that would not get hit with a PL fee even if I have the item in my PL campaign. (Because it was clicked on externally.) But now, with this change, will this be considered a PL? Or is that only for links ebay places externally?

I'm not clear on that. If I'm the one putting the links out there...on FB, Pinterest, Instagram, wherever, I'd rather not get hit with the PL FVF. If ebay can confirm that my own off ebay links would NOT be part of PL, then I'd probably be OK with being opted in.

That's a good point @my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

The question would be how would eBay "decide" if it was a PL or not if it was just an external link you share on social media? It's not like there is a different URL or item number for the promoted version vs the organic version. 🤔 

Most likely there is a parameter in the URL that says where it came from on the promoted URL. Whereas, your URL won't have that parameter.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

nothing new here, small secret, promoted listings already worked with google. 
Opting Out will be bad idea, since ebay search for many items/categories is not so good, google will give an extra potential for sale opportunity. 
If you opt out, any sale on PL the fee still applies for 30 days after, weather opted out of google or not, that's standard for PL. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques ,

Great question. The links you share will always be considered organic (non-promoted) listings.

~eBayAdsTeam

Message 21 of 21
latest reply