cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted Listings now available for Off eBay as well....

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Promoted Listings now available for Off eBay as well....

A bit of "fine print"....if you are running a promoted listing campaign and do NOT want to apply it to external sites, you can opt out, BUT it can take up to seven days for ebay to actually opt you out. So if you DO NOT want this, act quickly!

"Can I choose to only promote my listings on eBay?

If you would like your ads to appear on eBay only, you can submit a request to opt out of off eBay placements - opens in new window or tab. You can expect to be opted out 7 days after submitting a request.

If you would like to opt back in, you can submit a request through the same form above.

You may still see "Promoted Listings sales (via external placements)" in your downloadable reports after you’ve opted out due to our 30-day attribution window. For example, if a buyer clicked on your promoted listing before you opted out, then returned to purchase your listing after you opted out and within 30 days of that click, you would still be charged the ad rate in effect at the time of the click."

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@valueaddedresource  They mentioned that this was coming a while back, and here it is. My first impulse is to give it a try, but I'm not so sure....think I might opt out instead. It looks like we're basically opted in by default, and the opt out is as I explained above....

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Can I ask why you are considering to opt out? 

I'm reading up on this now and was curious why you are considering opting out

Thanks! 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I've been hoping to do more with social media, and I'm not sure how that would work with this. If I post an ebay link to Pinterest, for example, and a buyer clicks through to ebay and buys, right now that would not get hit with a PL fee even if I have the item in my PL campaign. (Because it was clicked on externally.) But now, with this change, will this be considered a PL? Or is that only for links ebay places externally?

I'm not clear on that. If I'm the one putting the links out there...on FB, Pinterest, Instagram, wherever, I'd rather not get hit with the PL FVF. If ebay can confirm that my own off ebay links would NOT be part of PL, then I'd probably be OK with being opted in.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

Yes thank you

Great explanation 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@valueaddedresource  They mentioned that this was coming a while back, and here it is. My first impulse is to give it a try, but I'm not so sure....think I might opt out instead. It looks like we're basically opted in by default, and the opt out is as I explained above....

Thanks for the tag @my-cottage-books-and-antiques ! I scanned it briefly earlier but hadn't had a chance to look too closely at it.

I agree that it would have been better if you had to actively opt in to be included, just because I'm not a fan of automatically opting users into things in general. 

I also think it would be really great if they could let you set budgets for both on eBay and external Promoted Listings, so the seller can control how much and where they want to promote at different times.  I know they mentioned budgeting will be part of the pay per click advertising, so maybe there's hope they could add it in here too?

Mostly I think this is a good thing though - as long as the cost stays the same as on site promotion.  It will be interesting to see how it affects traffic and sales for sure.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I've been hoping to do more with social media, and I'm not sure how that would work with this. If I post an ebay link to Pinterest, for example, and a buyer clicks through to ebay and buys, right now that would not get hit with a PL fee even if I have the item in my PL campaign. (Because it was clicked on externally.) But now, with this change, will this be considered a PL? Or is that only for links ebay places externally?

I'm not clear on that. If I'm the one putting the links out there...on FB, Pinterest, Instagram, wherever, I'd rather not get hit with the PL FVF. If ebay can confirm that my own off ebay links would NOT be part of PL, then I'd probably be OK with being opted in.

That's a good point @my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

The question would be how would eBay "decide" if it was a PL or not if it was just an external link you share on social media? It's not like there is a different URL or item number for the promoted version vs the organic version. 🤔 

My guess is this is only going to apply to ads eBay places externally, but you're right it doesn't spell that out exactly - hopefully we can get some more details and clarification on that.

I know a lot of sellers were concerned some of these new advertising options would end up like Etsy's controversial mandatory ads.  I hope eBay is paying attention to those concerns and will be transparent about exactly how this is going to work.  🤞

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Of course, if sellers who are already using PLs don't keep up with this change (and, as this Board relentlessly demonstrates , many sellers do not keep up with changes), they may be unpleasantly surprised to find they are paying PL FVFs on items the buyer found through Google. I do think ebay QUICKLY needs to get the Announcements info onto the PL pages in Seller Hub....that would at least increase the chances that sellers would learn about this before, say, 2023. 

But yeah, I'm basically in favor of this. ebay and ecommerce are much, much more competitive than they were when I started out 20 plus years ago, and advertising/promoting is one way to stand out.

I asked on ebay for Business FB about the social media issue. We'll see....

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@coastaltechsolution wrote:

Can I ask why you are considering to opt out? 

I'm reading up on this now and was curious why you are considering opting out

Thanks! 

I can easily see how it could result in a far larger number of returns, although in the long run it is going to turn GoogleBing into pay-per-click engines and completely ruin organic results, opening the door for the next BIG "organic" search engine to take their place.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

That's a good point @my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

The question would be how would eBay "decide" if it was a PL or not if it was just an external link you share on social media? It's not like there is a different URL or item number for the promoted version vs the organic version. 🤔 

My guess is this is only going to apply to ads eBay places externally, but you're right it doesn't spell that out exactly - hopefully we can get some more details and clarification on that.

I know a lot of sellers were concerned some of these new advertising options would end up like Etsy's controversial mandatory ads.  I hope eBay is paying attention to those concerns and will be transparent about exactly how this is going to work.  🤞

I would be one of those Sellers for sure.  Main reason we no longer sell there.

I have several PL campaigns running and they all have finite dates to end, etc, so I am thinking I will stay opted in and see if it helps me at all.  With the added cost of PLs, I am excited to think they might advertise my wares off of e-Bay as the cost certainly adds up.

Thanks for the post on this - remember reading about it before and glad it is finally rolling out!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Of course, if sellers who are already using PLs don't keep up with this change (and, as this Board relentlessly demonstrates , many sellers do not keep up with changes), they may be unpleasantly surprised to find they are paying PL FVFs on items the buyer found through Google. I do think ebay QUICKLY needs to get the Announcements info onto the PL pages in Seller Hub....that would at least increase the chances that sellers would learn about this before, say, 2023. 

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  I just got an email on my selling account about it too.  Glad to see they are at least trying to be a little proactive in announcing this one.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Just saw I got an email as well...agree, kudos to ebay for being a little proactive for a change.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

It came up as a sort of red message at the top of the page when I was in Seller Hub this morning, too

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I'm with the wait and see how it goes crowd.

If it's a moneymaker for us, bravo eBay.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply