cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted Listings are Terrible for Sellers

I would like to hear peoples thoughts.

Ebay want's approx. 10% commission on the sale of an item, Paypal wants 3% + $0.30 Transaction fee, and Ebay also wants to charge 10% on any shipping charges you collect,  as well as 10% on any Sales Tax you have to collect.  and Paypal wants the same amount.

So lets assume you have a $10 sale and it costs you approx. $7 to ship that Item.  For Arguments sake I'm assuming 7% sales tax.  (Since they try to force you to offer free shiping on everything,  Sales tax is included on the shipping amount).

so $17 + 7% =   $18.19 total for the sale.  

13% + $0.30 Ebay Fees on $18.19 = $2.39

Your commitments out of that $18.19 include the $1.19 sales tax, and the $7 shipping. That have nothing to do with profit from the sale.  (Not Including Time, Packing Materials, i.e.: Labels, ink, boxes, envelopes, gas, etc...)

so,  $2.39 out of the original $10 is effectively a 24% sales commision rate.

Now in order to get any visibilty on the listings they are asking for more money,  which is open to a bidding war.  they suggest a starting bid of Approx. 10%.  Which of course will gradually increase as the competition increases,  so I am going to assume it will rise to more like 15% - 20% over time.  (Ebay shows you how much everyone else is paying and lets you know you can't get visibilty unless you bid more than the going rate,  forcing the price up everytime a new seller enters the market)  So they are creating a Bidding war for Visibilty.

Lets apply that extra 15% to the original $18.19,  and that is an additional $2.72. which is an effective rate of 27.2% of the $10 sale.

Now the effective sales commision they are charging has risen to: 51.1% of the original sale.

And that could still go up another 2% sales commision for each 1% the Promoted Listing Cost increases.

at a 20% promoted listing that rises another 9% to  60% of the total sale.

This basically makes it impossible to sell anything for a profit.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this.

I thought charging the %13 + the $0.30 Transaction fee on the shipping  was outrageous which raised the commisions on most sales to between 25% - 30%.  (They already doubled their fees when they did that,  now they are doubling their fees again.)

This new move more than quadrules ( 4x to 5x ), their advertised sales commisions.

They just doubled their fees to %50 - %60 Ebay Commision,  and no one is saying that they are outraged.  But they are still lying and telling everyone they are only charging 10%,  9% if you have a store.

Isn't there anyone who has any thoughts on this subject.  There's nothing you can sell against the Chinese, where if EBAY takes 50% - 60% of your profit right off the top, after you are already paying 10 times the amount to ship an item from the USA than it costs to ship from China,  That you can make a profit on. 

Is EBAY Planning on shutting down every customer (Seller), they've ever had?

Message 1 of 94
latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

Re: Promoted Listings are Terrible for Sellers

i make a gross of 1,200.00 a month  pay ebay 430.00 pay paypal around  60.00 pay approx 140.00 to ship    at the end im left with what ?  almost 50% of my gross in fees to shipping. paypal and ebay . and its not just me, going by feedback numbers prices and amount of items in stores other sellers in my category are suffering the same way  why? because ebay raised listing fees to .5 per listing. there is no way i can ever increase my listings over the 10,000 mark because those listing fees would  cause me to go out of business.  larger stores cut back massively in their inventory. (reducing choice for buyers) prices have gone to rock bottom because of these morons who sell for 1.99 when they COULD GET  at least 12.99 or higher plus shipping . none of this sounds like the 10% charges ebay claims they are just plain greedy  and in the end will cause them to go under unfortunately they will take the hardworking sellers down with them 

Message 91 of 94
latest reply

@ads.ink wrote:

i make a gross of 1,200.00 a month  pay ebay 430.00 pay paypal around  60.00 pay approx 140.00 to ship    at the end im left with what ?  almost 50% of my gross in fees to shipping. paypal and ebay . and its not just me, going by feedback numbers prices and amount of items in stores other sellers in my category are suffering the same way  why? because ebay raised listing fees to .5 per listing. there is no way i can ever increase my listings over the 10,000 mark because those listing fees would  cause me to go out of business.  larger stores cut back massively in their inventory. (reducing choice for buyers) prices have gone to rock bottom because of these morons who sell for 1.99 when they COULD GET  at least 12.99 or higher plus shipping . none of this sounds like the 10% charges ebay claims they are just plain greedy  and in the end will cause them to go under unfortunately they will take the hardworking sellers down with them 

Let me ask you this question.  Are you satified with your eBay sales based on the numbers you shared?

Message 92 of 94
latest reply

NO

Message 93 of 94
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

@blokschmok_0 wrote:

No one has time to post thousands,  and sometimes tens of thousands of messages on these boards if you're not getting paid to do it.

The Ebay Shills always show up.  It's pretty obvious.

Especially the way they try to take everything off topic and change the direction of the thread,  if someone want's to talk about anything of importance, or anything that concerns them, where EBAY is being dishonest, or corrupt. 

You couldn't be more off the mark.  eBay employees who post on the board are properly identified.  If you look on the boards, you'll even know on which posts they replied.  

There are no plants here.  Those who are going against you aren't eBay cheerleaders always - sometimes they do and sometimes they gripe the loudest, but they are giving their time freely to help you.

Way back when (years ago), wasn't it suggested that someone like Live World or whomever had the boards early on, had 'sub-contractors' that came onto the boards to divert and disrupt?  Nobody 'official' or anything like that, but people who would call others shills, start rumors and such.

I wonder if that went on then and, if it did, if it is going on once again.

Oh well, who knows?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 94 of 94
latest reply