cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projected Delivery Dates

This morning, I happened to look at one of my listings, and noticed a projected delivery date of June 11th-15th. I figured it was a glitch, and then noticed it on all my listings. I have 5 day handling, usually ship in 1-2 days, and ship either 1st class or Priority. I would say, on average, my packages arrive in 5-7 days, from date of sale. 

I called CS, and explained the issue. I was asked if I wanted to be in on the Guaranteed Delivery Program. Asking for more specifics than I read in the last update, I was informed I'd have to shorten my handling time to 1-2 days, which is a pressure I don't want or need. 

When I asked why my projected Delivery Dates were over a month out, explaining that it was 1-ridiculous and 2-detrimental to my sales, I was told that this is the delivery projection that will now be given on ALL listings, as of May, that are not part of guaranteed delivery. I was told that the "actual" projected date will change, once a purchase is made, and they will estimate based on the buyers zip code. My response was something to the effect of "They are not going to buy based on those kinds of dates, so they will never SEE the real date". Has anyone else noticed a change in their estimated deliveries? This seems crazy, no?

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Projected Delivery Dates

Interesting, I reviewed a few items this AM and the delivery dates are back to a normal range.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 16 of 47
latest reply

Hi!

If you mean mine, I created new policies with 3 day handling and different shipping methods/costs, and bulk edited in groups. Took me a while, but it was too painful to look at those June delivery dates! I see now that eBay is projecting around 10 days. Certainly better than 30!

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

@cascarole wrote:

Hi!

If you mean mine, I created new policies with 3 day handling and different shipping methods/costs, and bulk edited in groups. Took me a while, but it was too painful to look at those June delivery dates! I see now that eBay is projecting around 10 days. Certainly better than 30!

I was referring to mine.  I did not create any new policies or shipping methods.  No bulk edits either.  Delivery estimates for my items are now normal with no changes on my part.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 18 of 47
latest reply

Hmmm, OK, thanks. Maybe the one day I chose to look was a glitch day. At any rate, I'm still curious as to how opting out of GD will affect ETA dates, etc. Hopefully an ebay person will define or clarify...

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cascarole wrote:

This morning, I happened to look at one of my listings, and noticed a projected delivery date of June 11th-15th. I figured it was a glitch, and then noticed it on all my listings. I have 5 day handling, usually ship in 1-2 days, and ship either 1st class or Priority. I would say, on average, my packages arrive in 5-7 days, from date of sale. 

I called CS, and explained the issue. I was asked if I wanted to be in on the Guaranteed Delivery Program. Asking for more specifics than I read in the last update, I was informed I'd have to shorten my handling time to 1-2 days, which is a pressure I don't want or need. 

When I asked why my projected Delivery Dates were over a month out, explaining that it was 1-ridiculous and 2-detrimental to my sales, I was told that this is the delivery projection that will now be given on ALL listings, as of May, that are not part of guaranteed delivery. I was told that the "actual" projected date will change, once a purchase is made, and they will estimate based on the buyers zip code. My response was something to the effect of "They are not going to buy based on those kinds of dates, so they will never SEE the real date". Has anyone else noticed a change in their estimated deliveries? This seems crazy, no?

Hi @cascarole, I've spot checked a few of your listings and I think I am seeing the delay that you are. I'm happy to get this over to our tech teams as soon as I you confirm that the estimated delivery dates are incorrect and provide me with 3-5 item numbers as examples. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Message 20 of 47
latest reply

How about the email from ebay in message #7? Is that accurate information?

Message 21 of 47
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That cut off time is only relevant if you offer same day shipping.  One day handling means that an item purchased before midnight pacific time should be scanned before midnight PT the following business day.  2 day handling gives you an extra day but but it is still based  on a cut off time  of midnight PT.

Thank you for the clarification! And here I thought I was being all tricky nerd but at least changing to 2 day handling cleared up any late scans, I guess it's better to under promise and over deliver, right? stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Message 22 of 47
latest reply

@cascarole wrote:

This was the written reply. Note that it says my estimate of 30 days will not change unless I am enrolled in EGD. 

Re Estimated Delivery Times

Hello C***** (asterisks mine)   

In regards to your inquiry about the estimated delivery times, eBay has rolled out a new options for sellers called eBay Guaranteed Delivery. I have attached this link for you to review:

ebay.com/GuaranteedDelivery  

Once enrolled, you will not have those 30-day estimated delivery links.   As of now, your listings do show your handling time and does allow the buyer to see the actual delivery date estimation once they select an item.

The current displayed date is part of the new update and cannot be removed unless you are enrolled in EGD.  I have registered for you to get notification once you are eligible so that you may sign up if you like.   I hope this information was helpful. Thanks, eBay

[THREAD ID: 1-157744051499]

Swell.

I stopped looking at mine a long time ago, they've never been close to correct, all it does is make me mad. 

So this is how they're planning to get everyone forced into their precious GD scheme is it?

Figures. 

alan@ebay

Could you confirm/dispel the CS explanation? 

Could, or would?  Apparently not.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 23 of 47
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

@cascarole wrote:

This was the written reply. Note that it says my estimate of 30 days will not change unless I am enrolled in EGD. 

Re Estimated Delivery Times

Hello C***** (asterisks mine)   

In regards to your inquiry about the estimated delivery times, eBay has rolled out a new options for sellers called eBay Guaranteed Delivery. I have attached this link for you to review:

ebay.com/GuaranteedDelivery  

Once enrolled, you will not have those 30-day estimated delivery links.   As of now, your listings do show your handling time and does allow the buyer to see the actual delivery date estimation once they select an item.

The current displayed date is part of the new update and cannot be removed unless you are enrolled in EGD.  I have registered for you to get notification once you are eligible so that you may sign up if you like.   I hope this information was helpful. Thanks, eBay

[THREAD ID: 1-157744051499]

Swell.

I stopped looking at mine a long time ago, they've never been close to correct, all it does is make me mad. 

So this is how they're planning to get everyone forced into their precious GD scheme is it?

Figures. 

alan@ebay

Could you confirm/dispel the CS explanation? 

Could, or would?  Apparently not.

If this is actually true(which I kinda doubt coming from ebay CS), this would be way below low.

I sure hope what is being reported here is a glitch. Per the policy, you don't qualify for GD if you have a 2+ day handling time on your listings.  It is suppose to be 0-1 day.

Which listings are eligible for Guaranteed Delivery?

Listings that meet the following requirements will be eligible, meaning they can display to buyers with a Guaranteed Delivery date:

• Set same-day or 1-day handling time. If you offer same-day handling, we recommend setting your same-day cutoffs.
  • State eligible carrier services in listings. Generic listings such as standard, economy, expedited, and flat rate freight do not meet this requirement.
  • Add a postal code to the listing location.

You can use the Guaranteed Delivery bulk editing tool to see which of your listings don't yet meet the above requirements, and update them in bulk.

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/ebay-guaranteed-delivery.html#listing-eligibility

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 25 of 47
latest reply

Hi~

It makes sense, but if that is correct, and the CS knew that my handling time was 5 days, why would she even offer to opt me in?

It still seems strange that my ETA dates would be so far out, even at 5 days handling.

Also, the written explanation SEEMS to imply that the only way to shorten them was to opt in to GD, when all I had to do was shorten my handling time.  They shortened significantly by going from 5 days to 3 days (etas 30 days to 10 days, respectively) 

Anyway, I can live with 10 days, but I'm still concerned about the response IMPLYING that you can only change your etas by opting in to GD. It just "feels" manipulative....

Message 26 of 47
latest reply

As a seller you can be opt'd into the GD program because as a seller you are eligible.  That is one thing.

The other thing is that for your LISTINGS to meet the requirements of the GD program and therefore the LISTING being labels as part of the GD program, you MUST meet the requirements I posted a couple posts back in that particular listing.

Just because a seller is opt'd into the GD program does NOT make their listings eligible UNLESS the listings qualify.  So as an opt'd in seller, lets say you have 100 listings, but none of them show as being part of the GD program because you have a 3 day handling time.  Or lets say out of that 100 listings you only have 5 of them in the GD program because they do meet the requirements.

It isn't an all or nothing program.

Your 5 day handling time listings will NOT qualify to be part of the GD program even though as a seller you are eligible.

"Also, the written explanation SEEMS to imply that the only way to shorten them was to opt in to GD, when all I had to do was shorten my handling time. "  You are just misunderstanding something in the instructions.  A seller can change the handling time on their listings anytime they want to except on an auction that already has a bid.

All those other timeframes you talk about, NONE of them will qualify your listings for GD.  You must have 0-1 day handling times to be part of the GD program.

I don't know where "manipulative" comes into this at all.  This is business, not a personal transaction.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 27 of 47
latest reply

If this is actually true (which I kinda doubt coming from ebay CS), this would be way below low.

Which is why I'm thinking it just might actually be true... "way below low" seems to describe most of what we've been seeing from them for the last 6 months or so...  adding Best Offer to listings, the Webinterpret thing, threatning sellers because buyers send contact information, the resurgent flood of counterfeit items in several categories, the GSP "we don't have you covered" topics, the product based shopping experience disaster... 

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

They shortened significantly by going from 5 days to 3 days (etas 30 days to 10 days, respectively).

Yet eBay is going to insist this thing isn't broken and provides accurate delivery dates?

2 days faster = 20 days sooner?  eBay math.  Smiley Sad 

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

Hi,

Maybe "manipulative" is not the correct word, so lets take the GD program out of the equation.

I've had 5 day handling for most of the 6 years I've been selling, and have never had ETAs that were 30 days out until this week. By moving my handling time up 2 days, my ETAs were moved up 20 days. Where is the logic in that? I ship 2 days earlier, and my items are delivered over 2 weeks earlier?  I'm not taking it personally, I just think that the lengthening of ETA dates, coinciding with the updated GD program, seems more than coincidental.

The written response from the CSR person specifically says that the ETAS can only be changed by opting in to the program. It does not mention handling times at all, nor did the letter that went out informing us that we'd automatically be opted in, in May, and we'd have to opt out manually. By the way, even the automatic opt-in with a manual opt-out was ridiculous. I read these boards, Ina's Blog, and all emails from ebay, but Im sure there are many sellers who don't. Yes, being informed is our job, but an automatic opt in is an overeach. Just my opinion.

Message 30 of 47
latest reply