cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Setting Seller Preferences

I have searched all over, on google and Ebay, and cannot change my payment specifics under my account.  I only want to accept Paypal, but when I post a new item it lists all of the credit cards as well. When I go to my account and site preferences, I cannot get an "edit" button on the payment from buyers section.  Other sections allow me to edit.  

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Problems with Setting Seller Preferences

The credit card payments are done through PayPal, if you are trying to restrict buyers to just using a PayPal balance it can't be done. If for no other reason very few buyers maintain a balance in their PayPal accounts and can only use their on file credit card.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

The credit card payments are done through PayPal, if you are trying to restrict buyers to just using a PayPal balance it can't be done. If for no other reason very few buyers maintain a balance in their PayPal accounts and can only use their on file credit card.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

@chavamarie

slippinjimmy is right- even if you restrict your payments to PayPal that still means buyers can use a credit card that's processed by PayPal.

By Summer 2020 all sellers will be opted into the eBay managed payments system which encourages buyers to pay with a credit card directly through eBay and not having to log in to another service. PayPal will still be an option for those who wish to use it, but it will all go through the managed payments system in the end.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Question: If someone adds a line at the bottom of their description that says "Payments only by PayPal" do you think that could discourage some buyers who might not realize that they can pay with their credit cards through PayPal? 

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I doubt it, because (1) they'll see the credit card images in the payments section at the top of the listing; and (2) nobody ever reads the bottom line of a seller's TOS anyway.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

The credit card payments are done through PayPal, if you are trying to restrict buyers to just using a PayPal balance it can't be done. ...

And because eBay's policy is that if you accept PayPal, you accept all forms of PayPal payments (cc's, echecks, balance transfer).

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Okay, thanks.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Thank you, everyone.  I did not realize that paypal processed credit cards as well!

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I also cannot get an "Edit" field to appear at all next to the "Payment from Buyers" section, and my seller settings show that I only use Checkout. Everything else is a No, including PayPal. I'm confused what this means. I want to accept PayPal, but eBay doesn't seem to be allowing me to change this. Thank you for any explanations you can offer. 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Your ended listing shows that you accept Paypal.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@adkhighker wrote:

Question: If someone adds a line at the bottom of their description that says "Payments only by PayPal" do you think that could discourage some buyers who might not realize that they can pay with their credit cards through PayPal? 

Any particular reason someone would want to discourage buyers who want to use a credit card?

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Sill no solution listed on why we cannot change the settings though. Why can these not be edited.image.png

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

I'm having the same problem where it doesn't allow me to edit or change these preferences. Could be an update that Ebay may have to run through to allow for editing. Hope It's resolved soon.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

There is nothing to resolve. eBay is moving toward managed payments, most or all of those options are no longer anything you have any choice about, and that settings page is a decade or more old and hasn't been updated.

If you sell on eBay and have not been invited into managed payments, you accept PayPal, it is displayed on your listings, you no longer have an option to have a merchant account of your own and accept credit cards directly, and all the rest, period.
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

My Seller preferences also didn't offer an "edit" option so I had to use a round-about way to edit my seller preferences by going through ebay's customer service/help article, which offers a link that directs you to your seller preferences and enables you to edit them; just click the "edit payment preferences" box under the "How to set up Paypal as a Payment Method" heading in the article.

Hope this helps anyone else with the issue. 

Link: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/setup-change-payment-methods/accepting-paypal?id=4183

Message 15 of 26
latest reply