cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem selling Diamond Rings Buyers claims NAD and ask for Partial refund

I sold a Man's cluster ring 2 weeks ago 392165009068 and this buyer claims he took to a jeweler and the 12 diamonds only measured .78-82 and the clarity was way off but didn't use scale only words strange for  a jeweler. The estimated diamond wt is 1.5pts with picture and I put 1.2pts. the rings weight was 9.9g with picture and he claimed 6.0g.  I always under grade on my diamonds and usually have a good outcome. Told him to return and told him I was never so insulted on ebay before.  So he returns emails me on Sat and says he wants his refund but shipped with signature confirmation and I told him Mon. He emails 4x on Sun wanting his refund. I refund him on Mon plus he leaves a neg says 4 out of 12 diamonds are cracked but no mention in the other 16 emails about cracks. So I relist but this time I list using exact same picture and I changed carat weight to 1.5pts 392176417008. This guy receives at 3:30 and emailing at 5 saying he took it to a jeweler and this jeweler claims 10 of the stones were 10pts and 2 are 8pts total 116 and the clarity isn't an SI1-2 but a I-1 and wants a 100 dollar refund or he will file a report with ebay to return. I say please return. On the return  he claims NAD and No mention of cracked diamonds.  I contacted a few he dealt with and he done the same thing to them I know I can report him but that doesn't do anything.  The Last time I contacted ebay 10 mos ago the supervisor I talked to said my claims were bogus and bet me I wouldn't be calling back for help. So what can I do? Is the Neg removable since it isn't true?   And do the NAD still count against my rating. Please check my feedback.  Do I stop selling diamonds on ebay.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Problem selling Diamond Rings Buyers claims NAD and ask for Partial refund

Selling jewelry can be a difficult category depending on your own personal knowledge and experience. Even though I've been collecting for decades, before I started, I took some gemology courses to help me with the understanding of the gems, the verbiage used for jewelry and as many instruments as I could find to verify my findings. I also have a very nice back  up jeweler if I'm having a problem with a piece. 

Diamonds in settings can't always be accurately weighed so I always list the lower part of it's range. I, like you always drop clarity and color down slightly lower. 

I also always offer returns and free shipping. I stand by my jewelry and don't expect items to come back. Sometimes they do. There's no telling for personal preference and in some cases, like my recent return, the buyer apologized that she didn't read the description. I have no problems with returns in that case. Who knows, they may come back again?

One thing I'll never do though, is a partial refund. That is blackmail as far as I'm concerned. Return or keep. Period.

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

Exactly.  Know what you have.  Do not guess.

And there is no need to drop clarity and color just because.  Use a range - like vs2 - si1 and g - h in color to cover yourself.

And if you are going to do it as a business here, take some courses (I took the GIA) or have a gemologist on retainer.

This way if everything is described accurately, no need to issue a partial based on an error you made.  Either they like it or not.  Keep it or not.  I agree partials are a scam.

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

Return ,refund, block.  Dont humor partial  they all try that move.  Best regards

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

Do I understand right that you have two returns on this same ring within a month? I wouldn't stop selling diamonds but I might stop selling this ring for awhile. First off, your pictures have a yellow background that comes with evening lighting or soft yellow bulb lighting. I would upgrade to good daylight, and also if you can catch those diamonds sparkling in chandelier evening light, go for a picture of that too. I would also take a picture of the ring on your finger. As much as some say they do not like that, I do...and I believe it helps with buyers too, because it shows what the ring looks like on a human finger, aiding in less snad returns that are really remorse returns. The more realistic the pictures as to what the ring will look like worn on a hand, the better. 

As you have clarity and color and carat all there in the listing, I can see no reason for lying returns besides remorse. Therefore something about when they wore the ring on their finger they didn't like it. Maybe also you had a dealer hoping you undergraded the stones. Take a good look too to make sure those stones weren't replaced recently. 

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

He may have clarity, color and carat weight there, but returns could be because they are not accurate.

Determining the above with any type of accuracy takes training.  Apparently one buyer brought it to be evaluated and it did not check out.

Message 20 of 47
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@richards*rock*collection wrote:
I see plenty of diamond ring sellers with the minimum info in the description, who sell with no returns, and they do fine.

How do you know that the transaction ends well?  And we all know a seller stating no returns does not hold water.

I would not drop $$$ on a diamond htat did not have all the info I needed to make an informed decision.

And that is a smart thing to do, if you are spending significant amounts of money (and even if you are not!).

Message 21 of 47
latest reply

I too, have sold diamonds on Ebay and never used cut,color,clarity..small diamonds, not monster rocks. Its a slippery slope..because I know if they take it to a jeweler and he hears it was purchased on Ebay, hes going to downgrade the quality of the stones. I described them as 'white','very white', or eye clean, and always mentioned any inclusions,and I did give mm size.let the buyer figure out the ct weight.. I did give the weight of the ring or whatever..never had a problem or a return. But I wouldnt sell diamonds here now for anything..too many pro scammers.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 22 of 47
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

He may have clarity, color and carat weight there, but returns could be because they are not accurate.

Determining the above with any type of accuracy takes training.  Apparently one buyer brought it to be evaluated and it did not check out.

Or....the buyer didn't like the ring that was described accurately. Just because one buyer says it didn't check out--as I recall he wanted $100 partial refund--doesn't mean that is true. Frankly if it is good enough to keep, it is good enough to pay for.  I cry foul on that claim. 

Message 23 of 47
latest reply

You can always expect a world class opinion when you walk into someplace and say I didn't buy this from you,but I need your opinion as to its value......

Message 24 of 47
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Or....the buyer didn't like the ring that was described accurately. Just because one buyer says it didn't check out--as I recall he wanted $100 partial refund--doesn't mean that is true. Frankly if it is good enough to keep, it is good enough to pay for.  I cry foul on that claim. 

The OP is not trained in diamonds.  The buyer had it checked out by someone.  So without anything in writing or seeing it myself, without my calipers and eye piece I do not know if it was described accurately or not.

But I 100% agree with you about no partials.  One of ebay's worst moves putting that buzz in buyer's ears.

Either you keep or you return.  I never ever give in to partial refunds.

Message 25 of 47
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

You can always expect a world class opinion when you walk into someplace and say I didn't buy this from you,but I need your opinion as to its value......

That is why I go to a third party independent appraiser.  He does not sell diamonds, so he has no skin in the game.

Message 26 of 47
latest reply

I sell vintage and my answer is ALWAYS return for refund and I will refund AFTER I get the item back.   NO discussion, no negotiating.  Feel free to respond to his feedback noting that he tried to extort a partial refund.  You cant leave a neg for a buyer but you CAN let other sellers know he is a scammer.

Message 27 of 47
latest reply

You must be lucky to have a 3rd party appraiser that works for free...

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

Yes unless you are a certified gemologist..I would never attempt to make a guess on any diamonds I was selling here...guessing is not good enough..

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 29 of 47
latest reply

You need to be careful how you respond to a negative.  You want to look professional, not petty.

Also, partials are not against ebay rules.  In fact they encourage you to work it out with your buyer.

A simple - offered full refund for return of the diamond ring.

Message 30 of 47
latest reply