cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing Strategy? Start high and then lower? Need your thoughts.

With some of my items that I am unsure of comparable price's I have started with a high price with the thought in mind that I can always lower it later. However I'm starting to think that maybe I'm off base with this. The reason is because of a large bump of views when originally listed and then as normal the views taper off. By the time the views have tapered off and with no action I start to lower my price.

I'm starting to think that by the time I've already lowered my price that it is too late because the listing has aged and the original influx of viewers have already seen it at the higher price. I understand I can send out offers to watchers (though I don't have much luck with that). 

Should I end that listing and then relist with a more reasonable asking price? (Doesn't Ebay frown on doing that too often)? 

Would appreciate any of your thoughts on this. 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

@fastkc wrote:

Yes. That's why I'm thinking I am doing it wrong.

Which is why it pays to "experiment"...  and, fair warning.........if you sell something just after you list it.......your first thought will be "I priced it too low"...........lol.......Most of us know that feeling.........

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Unique items ?

You may wish to consider an auction

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Hahha. I hear ya. Did that this weekend on a listing. It sold within about a half hour.  (Sold too fast=priced too low) 

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Yes, I like to start high then lower the price if needed, if the item doesn't sell. 

Works a lot better than starting low and raising the price if the item doesn't sell. 

Also works better than starting low and then wanting to raise the price after it's already sold.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

I'm thinking that as well. 

Message 20 of 20
latest reply