cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Buyers sending messages complaining about shipping costs - Suggested Response?

Hi, I'm a veteran seller, but the shipping costs have become fairly outrageous, and I do think it is the correct rate, it's just expensive to ship heavy items in these current times.  I sell mostly glass and pottery.  I am getting bombarded by potential buyers complaining about shipping costs (some nice, some not so nice). I'm exhausted from answering the questions.  I've tried to explain that eBay calculates the shipping cost based on distance, weight and size of box.  Some potential buyers are just put off when the cost of shipping is higher than the (perceived) value of the item. I've been starting all my auctions at $4.99 regardless of value, trying to gain attention and let bidders value the item through their bidding.  Do I need to raise my starting price, to simply off set the price of shipping?  Would any of you have a suggestions for a polite and generic answer to some of the messages I am receiving from potential buyers?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Potential Buyers sending messages complaining about shipping costs - Suggested Response?

Don't reply.

Just add those complainers, no matter how polite, to your Blocked Bidder List.

It won't get better.

Some potential buyers are just put off when the cost of shipping is higher than the (perceived) value of the item.

This is a given.

I'm lucky that most of my items can be shipped LetterPost which is basically Flat Rate based on destination, and then I can bury the shipping cost in the asking price and advertise Free Shipping.

Buyers looooooove Free Shipping.

But it doesn't work for parcels, which are priced by destination as well as dimensions and weight.

I've been starting all my auctions at $4.99 regardless of value, trying to gain attention and let bidders value the item through their bidding.

Have you ever heard of Aspirational Buying?

Basically many people believe that the more you pay for it, the better it is. These are the people who pay more for brand names, and never consider the generic supermarket brand made in the same factory.

On the other hand, the less someone pays for it the less happy they will be with their "bargain". Cheapskates always feel someone cheated them.

On the third hand, Auctions have more Unpaid Item Disputes than Fixed Price listings.

Do I need to raise my starting price, to simply off set the price of shipping?

Yes raise your starting price, to discourage the "armed bargain hunters" who are such a pain to deal with, and to attract the Aspirational buyer.

Offer Free Shipping where you can and use Calculated Shipping for the rest. Calculated Shipping feels more official to customers.

Whether it is an Auction (which do work fairly well for some collectibles) or Fixed Price, your price should never be lower than what you would be happy to get.

You could add Best Offer, and set your parameters to automatically accept Offers over a decent price and automatically reject (politely) the lowballers.
This also gives the customer a little thrill of haggling, without annoying you too much.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

anyone asking me about shipping costs would not get an answer from me

I am not one of those sellers who feels compelled to answer all questions

do the people who ask these questions really thing its going to get cheaper becasue of of complaining

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@zan_antiques wrote:

I am getting bombarded by potential buyers complaining about shipping costs . I'm exhausted from answering the questions.

By this point in time, you should have a "canned" response typed up and stored in a text file that you can simply copy and paste. 

But if it truly is exhausting, one response might be to simply stop offering items where the shipping cost exceeds the item cost.

This is what  have done over the past 5 years. I have shifted my entire inventory over to items that ship by media or first class. 

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

No offense meant, but the reason folks are complaining about your shipping price is because...they are too high.  You need to re-evaluate your packaging or something. For example, these pants in this screen capture.  Even going cross-country, in a poly bag this should be below 16 ounces, so first class, this should be no more than $6 for shipping. Same for the 3" ceramic horse... $15.20? A small flat rate priority box is about half that.Untitled.png

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

"Just add the cost of shipping to your furthest coast (East or West)) to your sales price and never get another complaint about shipping costs."

This might work for some customers but a lot of people search for products with the filter set to total cost plus shipping.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

Not to mention the perfect 8 x 8 x 8 priority mail box.  The #4 size you can order for free from the USPS web site.  It is great for small figurines and other breakables that are a little too wide to fit in the small flat rate box.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@1tuna wrote:

anyone asking me about shipping costs would not get an answer from me

I am not one of those sellers who feels compelled to answer all questions

Wow really?

@1tuna wrote:

do the people who ask these questions really thing its going to get cheaper becasue of of complaining

Actually, I have messaged sellers on many occasions to ask if they'd be willing to switch to a less expensive shipping option, which allows me ot bid more on their lot, thus giving them more money and allowing me to spend more.

In almost every case the sellers have been more than happy to do so.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Tell those cheapskate buyers go sift thru their couch for loose change. Shipping costs money and these people are what they are.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

We are always clear to state that our list price is adjusted to account for the cost of shipping the buyer has to pay. Even with us being clear to state that in all of our listings, potential buyers still send us messages asking for free shipping.  Since we get more buyers who do not complain than those who do, we have not changed our policy. 

We are on the east coast and we get plently of buyers on the west coast who don't even ask. 

I'm sure there are plenty of sales we have lost because people just cannot grasp the fact that the TOTAL price is still cheaper than other places.

Common sense is not common.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Unfortunately that doesn't work.  I'm already charging as much as I can get for the items in my store.   I can add whatever for shipping to the price and have free shipping but I've been there done that and it made sales drop.  I don't think people really care about shipping cost as much as Ebay likes to claim.  I think it's an afterthought like sales tax.

WMMV of course.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread HERE.

Thanks.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply