cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posted image radically different from actual .jpg file

Never realized this before... so ebay can't even upload images that are true to the file ?

I never really noticed before today... other posts on the topic claim photos are desaturated; mine has a CRAZY hue shift.

You think these bozos would make enough money to know what they are doing -- my gawd

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Posted image radically different from actual .jpg file

what picture are you looking at.........did a quick check and don't see anything odd......except the  newest listing of a record has "freight" as the shipping method........

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

yeah well I'm telling you ebay IS shifting the hue... no other site I've uploaded the same file to does that... it objectively IS ebay doing it, you not seeing anything odd doesn't change the unequivocal fact that ebay IS doing it.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

eBay's ways are a mystery when it comes to images. My ongoing gripe is eBay overriding seller images with pure white backgrounds and replacing them with murky gray.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@surfpunk77 

You think these bozos would make enough money to know what they are doing -- my gawd

You underestimate eBay. eBay usually has a reason for the things they do.  In eBays estimation, the reason would be advantageous or profitable to eBay. Getting eBay to explain what they do and why they do it is another matter. Whether the reason seems rational to sellers is irrelevant. What matter is eBay believes how they do things is profitable to eBay. Sellers can speculate and plead for change (and other sellers will listen). 🙄

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I’ve noticed this as well.

My images end up looking darker after upload. I use the editing tool to quickly brighten them back to original exposure. 

I’ve always assumed that the images are compressed on upload and that this is what’s causing it.

I’ve never seen (or really looked for) a definitive cause. 

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

It's probably either that, or their phone/camera applying a color space to the photo that is removed or changed to the default on upload.  There's a lot more that goes into digital photos than most people realize.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

There's a lot more that goes into digital photos than EBAY realizes.

My file in question has been posted on several other sites and PRINTED more than once and the result is WHAT THE FILE LOOKS LIKE ON MY COMPUTER.. ebay is the ONLY place it looks so radically different.

It is them

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@lux.ra_14 wrote:

eBay's ways are a mystery when it comes to images. My ongoing gripe is eBay overriding seller images with pure white backgrounds and replacing them with murky gray.

I like to call it "dingy gray".

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

what picture are you looking at.........did a quick check and don't see anything odd......

LOL how could you know without seeing the original image before uploading to eBay?  The OP is just claiming a change in colors, not anything that would stand out as "odd" like the goofy stuff AI makes.  But dishonest color representation could definitely result in a buyer return.  

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Most of the OP's photos appear to me to be classic digital camera underexposure.

If his camera has the ability to adjust the white level, he should.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I just did a test. I uploaded a picture to a listing. Then I downloaded the picture from the listing again back to my computer. Ebay slightly reduced the image resolution and greatly reduced the file size but the images looked so identical that seemingly not a pixel changed on them as I would click the arrow to switch back and forth between them. Took a screenshot. They look identical. Original on right, download from ebay on left.

compare.png

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@lux.ra_14 wrote:

LOL how's this for 'meta'?  

So, the past several years I've been doing all my work, everything from jewelry reconditioning to photographing/etc. on a rolling hospital bed table with textured white wallpaper covering the surface.  -I hate how eBay's background removal feature makes things look, but a white background is definitely best, and the embossed texture of this wallpaper adds a bit of depth that I think looks really nice in my photos.  

BA9F7256-FCA4-4DD8-A4C9-1B7051D38E8D_1_201_a.jpeg

Trouble was, the table was getting rickety in all sorts of ways, and the wallpaper was problematic from the get-go.  In a very short time it would get dirty, with the porous paper absorbing every little thing, and no way to clean it really.  I started out with a big roll that shrank quickly from having to re-cover the table repeatedly.  So then I purchased a roll of clear vinyl to cover the paper -that could be cleaned easily so it worked nicely ....... until I would inevitably spill some acetone on it at some point, melting it and causing all kinds of hideousness.  

So when I got my tax refund a couple months ago, I decided it was finally time to treat myself to a new table.  I picked one with all the bells and whistles, everything I liked about the hospital table and more.  Most exciting of all, it had a CLEAR GLASS TOP.  So my plan was to stick the wallpaper to the underside, and finally have my lovely signature background protected by an easily-cleanable surface that's also impervious to chemicals.  

Screen Shot 2024-05-10 at 4.52.26 PM.png

PERFECT, RIGHT?  So, of course after finding the desk on Amazon I found someone selling it on eBay (and messaged them to make sure they weren't dropshipping from Amazon) -their price was slightly higher but it's worth it to me.  

The box arrived fast and I joyously ripped it open like an animal, and began assembling the desk.  The final step was to put in the glass panel, which was inside its' own protective compartment in the box.  When I opened that up ..... my heart fell into my stomach, as I saw that the glass was pretty darkly TINTED.  Not wanting to do a return, especially after having already spent a couple hours assembling the rest, and oh by the way I wasn't kidding about what I did to the box .... I just applied the wallpaper as planned, and bolted the pane in.  Here you can see the difference in the whiteness of the wallpaper. 

5FBA60DA-7DEF-4085-A73E-AC224F0DF202_1_201_a.jpeg

So now I'm stuck with this 'mixed bag' result, in terms of photographing.  Indeed, dirt and chemicals are no longer an issue, and the paper being under the quarter-inch of glass adds a nice shadow effect I wasn't anticipating.  But obviously I just have to kiss the whole 'white background' concept goodbye.  And it's not even a consistent difference, like a reliable shade of gray.   Even photos in the same shoot, same lighting, etc. get "translated" by eBay for God-knows-what-reasons (probably the colors in the item, but who knows), to where the background can look anywhere from almost white, to dark gray, to quite blue.   So I wonder if some buyers might see that and think I'm messing with the photos aggressively, but what can you do?  

9BC18983-C6D2-4EC4-82A4-CBC5A26A539A_1_201_a.jpeg7CFCC117-A319-4EA4-A143-8932088D4C98_1_201_a.jpeg
EBB755C1-7803-4459-BB8A-A3729F6DCCAF_1_201_a.jpeg

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@surfpunk77 wrote:

yeah well I'm telling you ebay IS shifting the hue... no other site I've uploaded the same file to does that... it objectively IS ebay doing it, you not seeing anything odd doesn't change the unequivocal fact that ebay IS doing it.

Thank you for that information.

I will take the appropriate action.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

You're on an extra disorderly tear today.  I want the story.  Something awful happen?  Something awesome?  

Message 15 of 20
latest reply