cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help! Sticky situation with buyers

I made a really stupid mistake.  I accidently mailed 2 packages to the wrong buyers.... swapped the labels.  I was in a hurry, as always, had run out of packaging tape and ran into the post office to buy tape and mail the two packages.  A kind postal worker helped me quickly get them tapped closed and the preprinted labels attached. In the hurrying, as there was a line behind me, the labels were put with the opposite box.  Both items are relatively inexpensive.  A hot wheels car that sold for $1.60 + 3.50 shipping. And a Webkinz cat that sold for $18 + 4 shipping.  I was notified by the lady that won the cat (Lillie) immediately that she received a hot wheels car and wanted her Webkinz cat.  Rightfully so.  I quickly purchased shipping labels and emailed them to each buyer to tape to the box and send it to the rightful owner.  Lillie promptly did this and through tracking I can see that it was delivered.  But the hot wheels guy has been a nightmare to deal with.  Ignores my messages and when he does reply he's rude and completely (pretends?) he misunderstands what I'm asking.  He claims he only has a p.o. box and that the packages are there and not at his residence where I shipped them.  He said, "I haven't picked up my mail at the po box for at least a month.  And will get over there when i have some time off." In the meantime, lillie is contacting me daily and getting very frustrated.  I refunded her money and told her about the trouble I'm having.  It's been 3 weeks now, he stopped acknowledging my messages begging him to simply print the label, tape it to the box and put it in the mail.  Even though i refunded her money, she of course still would like her cat.  Its not his to keep!! Is there anything i can do to him to force him to mail her item? It seems like the longer he holds on to it, it's almost like theft.  Does anyone have any ideas of something that can be done?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Please help! Sticky situation with buyers

I had this happen once, and I agree, it was a nightmare!  Here's what saved me:

I sold two Halloween displays the same day to two different people.  They both received the corrent item, but I had inadvertently switched the electrical cords.

Buyer #1 notifies me of mistake.  I immediately notify Buyer #2.  Both buyers agree to partial refund and for me to send pre-paid padded envelopes to each,  addressed to each other to exchange cords.  Buyer #1 does so immediately.  Buyer #2 doesn't.  When I very politely contact buyer #2 to ask if there is any way I can help her get cord to #1, she demands I refund completely and let her keep display or she will hold #1's cord hostage and leave me negative feedback.  (These were expensive displays---each over $100.00).  She starts emailing me several times a day, calling me every nasty name possible.

Meanwhile, I am keeping buyer #1 informed of what's happening.  He finds another cord on his own.  I ask him how much it costs so I can pay for it.  He refuses because I had already refunded him more than what the new cord cost.  He's also a seller, and commiserates with me over crazy buyers!  Leaves glowing feedback.

Buyer #2 is still sending me daily abuse.  By-the-way, she has under 10 feedback.  Like your buyer, she tells me it is way too difficult to drop pre-paid package with cord in mail box.  She then contacts both ebay and PP to file SNAD and get her money back and still keep the now completely functioning item. 

Since she already accepted a partial refund, both ebay and PP tell her the case has already been closed and find in my favor.  She again threatens negative feedback, and is quite angry when she finds she is not allowed to leave any!  At this point, ebay finally tells me how to block communication from her.  Unfortunatly, she has gotten my phone number from ebay.  I eventually had to change my number to stop her nasty calls.

So, unfortunately, there is no way you can get Mr. Hot Wheels to cooperate.  If the cat wasn't too expensive, I would just buy one and send it to her.  You don't have to do this, but it would make her happy and make you feel like a real hero for helping her.  If not, you have already done all you can.  By explaining how badly you feel and how hard you have tried to help her, maybe you can displace some of her anger towards you onto the unknow Mr. Hot Wheels! Smiley Frustrated

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

At the time of refunding the cat lady, I would also have provided her with a $5 credit toward a future order, for the inconvenience.

Hope you don't receive a Neg.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

NAD= not as described, same as SNAD, significantly not as described.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

Some people think you can keep the wrong item received.  FCC says it's a gift if the receiver didn't  solicit the item.  People can keep unsolicited items.   know it was the wrong item and return it.  It's unjust for them to be enriched because of a shipping error.   But there's no way to force the bad buyer to return it, and they know it.       

???   I think the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) would be surprised to learn this, since their primary responsibility is to oversee and regulate the air waves for public good.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@elevation14kft wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas of something that can be done?

There's no way of getting the other buyer to ship the wrong item back.

You always want the buyers to ship the items back to you.

Have a great day
Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@jason_incognito wrote:

I mixed up 2 packages once. I  had listed a large set of crystal. 2 buyers were both in San Francisco. I put the wrong label on the wrong box.  The first person contacted me that they gotten the wrong items, so I explained what had likely happened and contacted the second person. I offered to pay to have the pieces shipped to the right person. This was back when the buyer id was visible and people could contact each other.

The buyers emailed each other and decided to meet and exchange the pieces.

How cool is that!

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Thank you for all the advice and encouragement ebay friends!
Message 22 of 22
latest reply