cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return question

A buyer returned an item because it didn't fit her child (on my other account). She just sent it without opening a return request. What do I do next? Can I just send a partial refund through paypal? Or should I tell her to open a request? What if she claims NAD? She left positive feedback saying it didn't fit. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Return question

What is your return policy? Is it stated that there will be a "restocking fee" for returns?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Return question

I have a 30 day return policy, buyer pays. No restocking fee

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Return question

She doesn't want it.

It was returned on her own dime.

It is in the same condition in which it was sent.

Refund.

Relist.

Move on.

You can Block her if you wish.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Return question

@uskidstuff wrote:

I have a 30 day return policy, buyer pays. No restocking fee

Then there's no problem. Just tell her to open a return request. It doesn't matter if it's SNAD or not. Just accept the return and choose the "refund and buyer gets to keep the item" so that you don't have to get into the whole return shipping process. It's still a full refund anyways either way. You won't get a defect.

And I personally wouldn't block a buyer who did this to me.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Return question

I wouldn't do anything. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Return question

It's not a full return. I only owe her the price of the item

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Return question

If you did not specify in your return policy that you offer free returns, then I believe you can do a partial refund MINUS the shipping fee if you charged a shippng fee separate from the purchase. Consider yourself lucky that this buyer returned the item and paid for the return shipping. On occasion, you may get a complaint about not refunding the full price including your shipping charges. Since they already left feedback then they cannot change it if you choose to do only a partial refund minus the shipping fee.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Return question

@uskidstuff wrote:

It's not a full return. I only owe her the price of the item

Oh so you mean you charged a s/h price right that you hope to not refund, right?

It wouldn't be a problem if you knew the buyer is okay with you refunding them in paypal and keeping the s/h as well as any fees. But I wouldn't know how you would find that out about the buyer before actually doing it.

I would say to just tell them to file a return in ebay saying "it doesn't fit." And that you'll send them the refund immediately after since you already received the item. Hopefully that answer will satisfy the buyer enough to file a return with that exact reason. Yes, it's a gamble. But I don't know what other options you may have.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Return question

I get these little surprise, surprise returns with no return request at times and the formality of the buyer opening a return after they have already returned it is moot. The record of the refund will be on Ebay and Pay Pal so it is documented.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Return question

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

If you did not specify in your return policy that you offer free returns, then I believe you can do a partial refund MINUS the shipping fee if you charged a shippng fee separate from the purchase. Consider yourself lucky that this buyer returned the item and paid for the return shipping. On occasion, you may get a complaint about not refunding the full price including your shipping charges. Since they already left feedback then they cannot change it if you choose to do only a partial refund minus the shipping fee.

OP stated they have a 30 day return policy. Regarding your info, would that refund have to be done within ebay? How would you do that specifically? I've never heard of that... being able to keep the s/h charged.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Return question

Adding, the only problem with them NOT opening a return request is that there will be no documented reason for the return, example, does not fit, vs not as described etc. If you want documentation here on the reason for the return they will need to open a request, but in essense, why trouble the buyer to do this when they have already returned it.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Return question

Things may have changed about this. Used to be able to go to PP and just refund the purchase. Now there may be issues with that. So, now I guess the buyers really do need to open these return requests and not just send back the item. But , now you have to go back and plead with these people to do it. If this is a new rule then buyers should follow it, but they sometimes do not follow it. They just send the stuff back.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Return question

Yea,

I get it how buyers don't want to read about the correct protocol. But still, getting suprise returned items without returns filed is a bit annoying and troublesome.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply