cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Teach Me About Using USPS Priority Regional A and B Boxes

Will someone who knows how to save money please tell us all about using Regional A and B boxes?   I've been simply using normal Priority boxes.. plugging in their weights when buying eBay labels ... and paying that amount. (or flat rate when very heavy)

About a month or so ago, on a thread here .. a couple boardies mentioned they wished they'd have learned earlier about regional boxes.

So..

I live in Illinois.

Today I shipped out a package weighing 2 lbs, 9 oz going to California.

eBay shipping showed me about 13.50 dollars.

Then, curious about my options, I selected Regional A box.

It re-calculated to about 10.00 dollars.

I wanted to learn more.. (because I don't know if I'm IN Region A or B .. or What that means?)   so I re-selected Region B.

It showed me around 15.00 I think.

Anyway, my question:

Can anyone on the East Coast or West Coast or Midwest....

select Region A or B ... no matter where they ship to ... and compare that to normal priority price?

And package their shipment with the appropriate box with the choice that is less expensive?

Thanks,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@berserkerplanet wrote:

Volume of Medium FRB Top Loader:  522 in³

Lead density ≈ 0.409 lb/in³   -->  W = 0.409 lb/in³ * 522 in³   = 213.5 lb
         Steel density ≈ 0.283 lb/in³    -->  W = 0.283 lb/in³ * 522 in³   = 147.7 lb
Aluminum density ≈ 0.0975 lb/in³  -->  W = 0.0975 lb/in³ * 522 in³ = 50.9 lb

Volume of Large FRB: 811 in³  - approx 1.5 times the volume of MFRB.

I stand corrected.

Thank you for that.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

>>I stand corrected.
>>Thank you for that.

Now don't go getting any ideas.

Now I'm picturing your mailman trying to list your your USPS legal 69.5 lb MFRB full of steel rod widgets from your porch.

In the vein of the scene in "Avengers Age of Ultron" where some of the Avengers try to pick up Thor's Hammer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3bhQwY0KCY

Hilarity would ensue. Then the lawsuit. "My back!!!!" 🙂
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Ok, so I won't burn them in my beach bonfire in your honor ... but I selfishly request one the size of #07 for my yellowware and pewter dishes. 

I want the love of a shipping option that can end with an exclamation point.

wink

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

@mountainmommie wrote:
 ... I selfishly request one the size of #07 for my yellowware and pewter dishes. ...

There used to be a "Regional C" box which was nearly double the size of our beloved Box07.  It measured 12 by 12 by 15 inches.  Unfortunately, it shipped at the 17-pound rate and had a weight limit of 25 pounds, so there was a very narrow range of package weights for which it actually saved money.  

One year, the new proposed USPS fees had it at the 11-pound rate, which  would have been wonderful, but then when the final approved rates were published it was still at a price that matched the 17 pound rate.  Due to lack of popularity the Regional C boxes were discontinued.  The leftover boxes can be used for regular-rate Priority Mail shipping, but if being shipped to Zones 5 - 9 they incur a dimensional weight of 12 pounds.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:
>>I stand corrected.
>>Thank you for that.

Now don't go getting any ideas.

Now I'm picturing your mailman trying to list your your USPS legal 69.5 lb MFRB full of steel rod widgets from your porch.

In the vein of the scene in "Avengers Age of Ultron" where some of the Avengers try to pick up Thor's Hammer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3bhQwY0KCY

Hilarity would ensue. Then the lawsuit. "My back!!!!" 🙂

I shipped some older (1940's) MoPar flathead 6 cylinder engine heads in the Priority FR game boxes.   Heads were about 23" long.  Filled the voids with some solid packing. (not packing peanuts, or air packs) Taped them well. Strapping tape. They weighed in over 35lbs.  Not lead, but quite a surprise when it was time for someone to pick them up.

One went coast-to-coast. 2 more, don't remember. Could not have shipped them even local for less than that "game box"  price.

EDIT: Buyers were happy to get them with "free shipping".

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

>>EDIT: Buyers were happy to get them with "free shipping".

Yep, Flat Rate and Regional Boxes can be the "magic" that makes some things reasonable or even viable to ship.

My most leveraged USPS product is the PFRE though. Those things are magic. Coats, jeans, 10lb metal doodads.....

Shipped a 3lb PS3 heatsink and fan in one to FL last year. Would have been $14.45 zoned PM but was $6.30 for the PFRE instead. Did have to make a serious custom corrugated box/shell to get it to stuff in the PFRE and be able to close the flap on the marks (I always seem to be stretching the flap to "legally close those things. I posted a tip a while back about cutting the flap release liner strip in thirds to be able to get the middle of the flap stuck first using both hands, and then work the left and right independently 🙂

Bulky coats and jeans can be made to fit in PFRE's or even FR Boxes sometimes by folding carefully to the right general shape and vacuum sealing in a poly bag first. Choose or make a plastic bag of the the right size and "form", vacuum seal the item in it, and slide it in the FR envelope or box before it leaks and expands.

I don't have a vacuum sealer that works well for this, but do have 2 shipping heat sealers and 4 various types of thrift store vacuum sealers that seal and/or seal&cut but don't pump. I usually do it by heat sealing the bag almost closed, placing some 12"x10"x0.125" steel plates and weights on top, give it a few minutes, and heat seal the unsealed corner quickly (if the hole is small, it doesn't expand much quickly - the smaller the hole, the slower to get the air out, but yields more time to get hole closed when it's time to do so.)

Can also seal it completely shut, poke a pinhole or small hole in it, squish out the air, and stick a piece of packing tape over the pinhole. For bigger or troublesome ones, seal shut, poke a hole in bag, insert straw, vinyl tubing, turkey baster, syringe, etc, use boards, steel plates, weights etc also as needed, draw air out, and seal hole with tape. Big stuff can be vacuum sealed by sealing in bag, poking hole, sitting on it, and sealing hole with tape.
Message 21 of 24
latest reply

...it's a gift.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

>>...it's a gift.

The PFREs or my ability to yammer on incessantly?
Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 24
latest reply