cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I've stopped packing things well

I have made the decision to stop buying packing peanuts. I will cut back on my bubble wrap purchases, and things will go into the smallest box possible.

I feel like I'm the last person to make this decision on eBay.

A stack of 11" dinner plates. Large flat rate box. No longer will I buy a larger box so that there is more than 1/2" of room. 

I list stuff and take into account the larger box and shipping goes high and it never sells, or the buyer balks at the price after the fact. I've had too many buyers argue that an 11" plate will fit into a 12" box! 

I bought 4 dinner plates from Amazon. They came in a box with 2, seriously, 2 air pillows.  I guess this is what pople expect? If it breaks, it's insured!

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

The way ebay penalizes you for snads, this may not be the best way to go as you could be soon paying more in fees.

Message 2 of 64
latest reply

Even if the items are insured, your feedback is not.  While it is not a seller metric now, if negs start showing up for poor packing, it could turn potential buyers away.  Just a thought.

Message 3 of 64
latest reply

On another note, I applaud you. It can't be easy to sell dinnerware, plates and such. Definitely a challenge to pack.
Message 4 of 64
latest reply

I understand your frustration.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 5 of 64
latest reply

@jason_incognito wrote:

I have made the decision to stop buying packing peanuts. I will cut back on my bubble wrap purchases, and things will go into the smallest box possible.

I feel like I'm the last person to make this decision on eBay.

A stack of 11" dinner plates. Large flat rate box. No longer will I buy a larger box so that there is more than 1/2" of room. 

I list stuff and take into account the larger box and shipping goes high and it never sells, or the buyer balks at the price after the fact. I've had too many buyers argue that an 11" plate will fit into a 12" box! 

I bought 4 dinner plates from Amazon. They came in a box with 2, seriously, 2 air pillows.  I guess this is what pople expect? If it breaks, it's insured!

Shipping is truly getting out of hand. EBay's new policies have not helped. The fact that their comments regarding how "prepared they are to give China better rates if their discounts end" shows that eBay is not providing US sellers with the rates that they could provide China... Meanwhile us US sellers are paying MORE than Commercial Plus Pricing (which we could get using any other shipping service than eBay). 

In other words, eBay is making cash off US sellers by only offering their best rates to China sellers, and giving US sellers worse-than-average prices, as we are 100% sure from the China comments that they have a deeper discount than Commercial Plus.

Considering due to eBay policy we must do much more shipments than ever, and USPS is having a streak of very poor performance, I don't blame you at all for not packing things as well. 

I only worry for your SNAD rate. Broken during delivery counts as a SNAD now, and you can't fight it if a customer claims it. You are stuck with it, even if they made a mistake in choosing the reason. 

If what eBay says is true, and they REALLY want to compete with Amazon... then we need comparable shipping rates to Amazon. It's impossible to compete when eBay's policy makes you pay more than alternatives, and the shipping rates themselves are higher on eBay, and depending on category you may be forced to offer free returns on top of it. All these things hurt the margin & prices offered to buyers on eBay....

Honestly, even calculating inflation/tarriffs this year... you were able to find MUCH better prices on eBay last year, than this year. That was the biggest advantage eBay had in the battle vs Amazon. We're losing ground. Maybe not in the stock report numbers... but in the eyes of anyone who assesses both marketplaces? It's obvious.

Message 6 of 64
latest reply

I went to smaller boxes for parts as well. However. I did start to use a thicker double walled cardboard for better support. It has worked out well. Instead of having 2" around an item I am getting by with 1". They are actually holding up better than the thinner boxes. Give it a try.

Message 7 of 64
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am certain your OP was sarcastic and that you're not actually going to downgrade your packing.

I bought a ceramic serving platter from a large retailer and it came with 3 air pillows and no bubble wrap. Learned my lesson. Now I buy that stuff on eBay from sellers with shipping rates that reflect a knowledge of packing.

Message 8 of 64
latest reply

a department 56 piece that the box is 14 x 10 x 10 just went out in a 14 x 10 x 10 box.  it saved the buyer over $30 in shipping, because a 14x12x16 box was that much more.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 9 of 64
latest reply

So because someone sent you a poorly packed item you too want to start sending poorly packed items. OK, but you will be hurting all other Ebay sellers. Buyers hate receiving packages from Ebay sellers who pack poorly. Your feedback will show that.

Message 10 of 64
latest reply

I can't tell you the last time I bought something off eBay that came in peanuts.

I bought 2 glasses and they were packed with old pallet wrap plastic scrunched up.

Message 11 of 64
latest reply

Prior to making your purchase contact the seller with your packing specifications and ask if they'll agree to those specs for your purchase. If they refuse just move along to another seller....

Message 12 of 64
latest reply

As far as dept 56 merchandise most still have their original boxing bubblewrap once around the picture section of the original box to prevent rubbing and on down the road it goes...

Message 13 of 64
latest reply

I only have 66 more Dept. 56 items to go,but I'm just not feeling it....

Message 14 of 64
latest reply

I've stopped buying breakables to resell and I dread when one already listed sells. I had 2 go out today (well, tomorrow) and although I pack and over-pad, and tape to excess I can't absorb the cost of buying bubblewrap and sheets of foam.
And then - you get that occasional buyer that claims it's broken, but won't send pictures, and is willing to settle for a discount. 😞 

To pour salt in a wound postal rates are going up. 

Message 15 of 64
latest reply