cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal Permanently limited my account...

So, I've done some searching and see that I'm in the same boat as some other here and I'm searching for answers. Up front, I'll state that I sell used electronics, media, gadgets, and collectables.

Recently (end of September, right after switching to managed payments) Paypal emailed me and told me my account would be permanently limited due to "risk."  I contacted them and asked why this was as I've been with them for 20 years.  They stated they could not tell me but that they would forward my appeal to the risk department.  After having to wait over two weeks, I receive an email tonight saying the decision stood due to a violation of their acceptable use policy.  The ONLY thing I can find in their acceptable use policy that worries me is this from their acceptable use page...

(e) are by payment processors to collect payments on behalf of merchants

Does this mean that by enrolling in managed payments, I somehow violated their policies?  I'm at a total loss and the only answers I've gotten from paypal over the last three weeks were the reps telling me they think I was an outlier on an algorithm their system ran and that they assumed I would be reinstated.  Secondly, that their risk team likely wouldn't ever tell me why I was limited.  What in the actual heck?  I've been with them for 20 years selling here on eBay.  I'm at a total loss.  But, this doesn't seem to be the only thread on this subject.  What's happened here and is the managed payments system involved at all?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Paypal Permanently limited my account...

Ebay doesn't notify PP that you are now active in MP, so there really is no way for them to know about it unless they are watching your account.  It is however very unlikely it has anything to do with it.

Well I guess it is a good think you are now in MP so you don't really have to worry about what PP is doing.  I know it is curious.  But it won't hurt you now as a seller.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

This just happened to me today. Pay-pal froze my account and I have been with them for 4 years. I have everything attached to it, bank accounts, ebay, poshmark and a pay-pal credit card. I have never had a problem and do not have any large deposits or "weird' activity. I just started selling on e-bay for about three months now. The only problem I had at first is my e-bay account is set up with an old email account that was my original ebay from years ago and my pay-pal is set up under a newer preferred email address. I say new like five 8 years old and my old one like 20 years or more. Anyhow, when I tried to add my old email to my paypal, paypal would not allow it because it stated my email was associated with another account. I did some research and found out that someone( i do not know this person) used my old email address on a paypal account. That paypal account was frozen and inactive, I emailed someone at paypal at that time and never got a response, so I figured, I would move on , guess I can't use that email anymore and thats the end of that. now three months later pay-pal froze my account with no notice, so I call them, then emailed, then they finally reveal  back in an email , that they froze it because of the old email that SOMEONE else used. I explained to them my circumstance but they don't seem to be listening and only told me that there decision is absolute. The person at paypal in his email was rude and heartless. I am the victim of fraudulent activity but I am being treated like I am the person who's fraudulent. The thing is , if they just looked over my account and the "fake" account they would see that I have been nothing but honest and open. I have put my trust in them and have been a loyal customer, they gave me such a heartless, rude attitude, I don't know who I can resolve this with. I have put my e-bay account on hold because as of right now I don't know how to receive payments if items get sold. Also worth a note. Paypal sent me an email stating "you can no longer use our services, Because you have continually filed cases that do not align with the intent of the PayPal Purchase Protection Program and are contrary to the terms outlined in our User Agreement, we’ve determined you can no longer use PayPal’s services"    I have never filed cases as a seller or buyer, I don't have any disputes from buyers or sellers and everything is 100% on ebay and paypal. Thats not the reason they froze me account according to the email from paypal, later today.  So this just confuses things further. Is there anything I can do to elevate this issue? Is there anyone a seller can contact that cares about the seller? Anyone that would actually listen and research the issue instead of just cutting a person off? 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

So the gist of the problem is someone hijacked your old Paypal account, started using it and filed a bunch of returns, so Paypal banned them. When you attached the old, hijacked email address to your new account, they caught it and banned this account as well.

Yes, they can do that. You are responsible for any activity on your account. Did you not notice weird activity in your email, or in the Paypal account itself?  How could you not know that someone took over your Paypal account?

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

So the gist of the problem is someone hijacked your old Paypal account, started using it and filed a bunch of returns, so Paypal banned them. When you attached the old, hijacked email address to your new account, they caught it and banned this account as well.

Yes, they can do that. You are responsible for any activity on your account. Did you not notice weird activity in your email, or in the Paypal account itself?  How could you not know that someone took over your Paypal account?

Sorry, just realized I replied to the wrong person. This was meant for @angelles-collections2u 

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thats not exactly what happened. Someone did use my old email address and added it to their pay-pal under other email address or the manage email address. They didn't use my email to create the pay-pal account, they added my email to a managed list on pay-pal, along with a bunch of other email address. I didn't get any emails about it because I was not listed as the primary, I only found out about this because I just reopened up on account with ebay under the older email (that I still use just not as oftern) but when I tried to add the old email address to my paypal account , paypal would not allow because it said was already in use. At the time I thought, "hmm, I must have already opened a paypal with the old email address, maybe a while ago, I don't remember" So I decide to try and log into paypal with my old email address. I couldn't get in, I thought, "maybe i forgot password" so I request new password. Paypal then sends me an email to the "old" account to reset password. The email Paypal sends me is not in my name. So immediately, I think, someone hacked my old paypal. So I move forward to gain access to this account. When I get into the account I see that this was never my account. That someone created it as stated above. The account had no transactions and no verified information. I then tried to delete my email from this random account but wasn't allowed because i wasn't the primary.  So, (which I maybe shouldn't have done) I put my email address in as primary and confirmed myself so that I can close the account (the account appeared to be inactive, just a shell, no transactions or anything) or delete my email but once I did that, paypal shows that the account was frozen and I couldn't make any changes.  I just wanted to get my email address back and prevent anyone from using my email. After I did that I sent an email to customer service and tried calling but got no response. More then once, a couple of times. After some time passed I just decided to leave it at as such and move on. Three months later, Banned. No explanation, nada. I have sent emails again, and contacted customer service to explain what I think the problem stemmed from but I got one email staying I was attached to another account that is frozen and that they denied my appeal, when-in two mins of email reply back to them to ask for further research into the issue. They didn't even try to listen, try to look into it further.  Answer this for me. If an account is frozen you can still see all the transactions and information on your account? right? I can still see my info now.  So if there was "transactions" or "cases" on that other fraudulent account wouldn't I be able to have seen them? When I logged in?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Paypal sends a confirmation for all transactions, including when an email is added to and account. You might have someone who has access to your email to delete those messages

Message 7 of 7
latest reply