cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal Keeps Fee From Buyer's Canceled Transaction

I had a buyer who made a purchase and paid for an item but didn't read all the terms in the description, so they requested to cancel the transaction and I obliged.

After Ebay cancelled the transaction, they refunded the buyer back the full amount they paid.

When I checked Paypal, they refunded the buyer his full amount back but kept the fee they deducted.  So I lost money because the buyer made a mistake and Paypal keeps their fee.

I know Paypal has changed their terms for refunding buyers back and keeping the fee but is there any way to challenge this?  This is just not right.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

MP keeps thirty cents, too. Either way, you lose a little bit.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

That's been PayPal's policy since October 11, 2019. They announced it in April of 2019 and made it effective in October. Managed Payments has the same policy.

PayPal is a money processor. You pay them to process your payments from buyers, and that's exactly what they've done, and they want to get paid for doing it. What is "just not right" about that? Why would you expect them not to get paid for performing the service you've arranged for them to provide?

I would think it would be the reverse: it's just not right to expect PayPal to perform a service for you and not pay them for it.

From PayPal's website:

Will I get my transaction fee back?

If you issue a refund for goods or services, there are no fees to issue the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller are not returned to you.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

You can always call them and complain.  It is hit or miss.  I just increase the price when I relist to make up for it.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You've had PayPal waive the fees on a refund? You called them, and they credited back your 2.9% + 30 cents? How recently was that?

Too bad you had to transition to Managed Payments. Good luck getting them to wave it . . .

Message 5 of 5
latest reply