cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal Charging Sellers Two Fees on Ebay Sales

I wonder how many sellers know that since Paypal split from Ebay they are now charging sellers 2.9% plus .30 on all sales on Ebay and that means the entire amount not just shipping. And they are charging 4.4% plus an unnamed fee on currency depending what country it is on all international sales. Ebay is certainly not including that in the invoices sent to customers which is another reason they have no business invoicing our customers to begin with. Just sharing the info because sellers are paying out of pocket if they do not know this.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Paypal Charging Sellers Two Fees on Ebay Sales

It''s been 2.9% + .30 forever, well before the split.  Ebay has nothing to do with paypal and so they will not be including the PP fees anywhere...  Well, actually I think they do show PP fees on one of the reports.........

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@bewitched777 wrote:

I wonder how many sellers know that since Paypal split from Ebay they are now charging sellers 2.9% plus .30 on all sales on Ebay and that means the entire amount not just shipping. And they are charging 4.4% plus an unnamed fee on currency depending what country it is on all international sales. Ebay is certainly not including that in the invoices sent to customers which is another reason they have no business invoicing our customers to begin with. Just sharing the info because sellers are paying out of pocket if they do not know this.

Thanks for the heads up. Well the 2.9% plus 30 cents for the entire purchase has been there for ages. Did you think they only charged you on shipping or something? Your statement made it seem that way.

As for the international increased fees, you are correct. Paypal has increased this fee with very little announcements about it. I had stumbled upon it long ago when Paypal announced that "no fee reversal for payment refunds." I called Paypal to ask about that new change, as well about the international fee increase. The agent confirmed with me about the increase and I saw it noted in the policy but it seemed Paypal hoped no one would notice.

So everyone better raise their prices for international shipping to cover for this increase.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

They did announce the international increase..........can't remember when/where, but I did see it...........

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Yea, I think it was overshadowed by the no PP fee reversal though.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@bewitched777 wrote:

I guess I do not understand why you think you should be able to charge buyers more after they purchase because your fees might be higher than you expected?

Does your local grocery store charge you more when you use a credit card versus paying in cash?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

could be wrong, but think it's older than that.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

I knew they charged a fee before but it was only on shipping, now it is on the entire sale which is wrong. Ebay already hits us on that so we are charged twice and all Paypal is doing is accepting currency.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

All credit card processors charge a % fee and a transaction fee - and on the total amount.

The business should take all expenses/overheard when determining prices. 

Not many stores charge an additional fee to their customers when they use a credit card.  Some do give a cash discount though.   I see it at gas stations - cash/credit prices.   Bring a $10 item to the counter and it's $10 + tx. 

I won't use a credit card in local owned businesses for cheap purchases. 

- Suzanne -
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I found it by taking a close look at Paypal fees etc because they don't make those well known. What gets me is they will not tell you what the currency fee is in advance on international. I don't think that is legal, they have to provide that.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

I see PP fee reversals on mine if I do refunds, not sure what I am missing here.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

You missed the point. The shipping is put in there in advance and Ebay is supposed to charge actual shipping cost. They have no business invoicing to begin with, it is our business and shipping. And sellers can build in the PP fee costs, my point was many do not know about these fees and the foreign currency fee is not even disclosed by PP so we have no way of knowing what it is and cannot build it into the cost in the listing.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

That's not the problem. On international sales PP is charging a currency fee that varies based on country and is not disclosing it to sellers in advance so we have no way to build that cost in and have no clue what it will be. That cannot be legal and yes sellers can build in the 4.4% fee but I am betting a lot do not even know about it.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@bewitched777 wrote:

I knew they charged a fee before but it was only on shipping, now it is on the entire sale which is wrong. Ebay already hits us on that so we are charged twice and all Paypal is doing is accepting currency.

they've always charged on the full transaction amount..........international currencies trade all the time.......so what a UK pound is worth in US dollars this minute can change a minute from now..........which is the reason they give a %, rather than tell you a $ amount prior to an actual sale.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

https://www.paypal.com/en/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

It's right there.  It used to be 3.5% I believe, but it was raised a few years back to 4.4%.  I think it was mid-2017

- Suzanne -
Message 15 of 22
latest reply