cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment

Im talking to a person who's buying the Nerf gun I sold, and he said that he payed, but I haven't gotten gotten anything in my PayPal account though, and it's been 2 days. I asked him to make sure the money went out of his account and he said it did. However, Im not 100% sure my PayPal was linked to ebay, but the 2 account to share the same email. This is my first sell, and I'm new, so do you guys know when I should be getting the money, or should I ask him to do it again? Thabks

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Payment

Do not ship until the funds are in your account and it says "Ok to Ship."  

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

So they will come in a few days?

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

@ko0474 wrote:

Im talking to a person who's buying the Nerf gun I sold, and he said that he payed, but I haven't gotten gotten anything in my PayPal account though, and it's been 2 days. I asked him to make sure the money went out of his account and he said it did. However, Im not 100% sure my PayPal was linked to ebay, but the 2 account to share the same email. This is my first sell, and I'm new, so do you guys know when I should be getting the money, or should I ask him to do it again? Thabks

@ko0474    Could be a scam.  Could be an error on your part.  No.  At this point don't ask him to do it again.  Message him and tell him that you are investigating with eBay/PayPal why his payment is not appearing in your account and will get back to him as soon as you have an update.

First, go to your your Selling Manager and call up your Sold Listings dashboard.   Is the $ sign illuminated for this item on the grid?   (See below for an example of what the grid looks like.)

Paid.jpg

Next, log into your PayPal account and double-check to see whether a payment appears for this transaction either on your Summary or Activity page.

While you're in PayPal check your account settings:

1.  Navigate to your Account Settings page by clicking on the gear icon that's in the upper-right. 

2. Take note of the Email address that's displayed for your PayPal account and make sure it is correct.  Even the tiniest of typos/transpositions can prevent you from receiving PayPal payments

3.  Correct your email address if necessary.  Save your changes. Write the address down.

4. Log out of your PayPal account

Once you've done that, report back as to what you found and we can go from there.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

@ko0474 wrote:

No one here can answer that for sure. But generally speaking, there is not any meaningful "delay" between a buyer paying and the money showing up in the seller's PayPal account.

Here are a couple possibilities:

1) The buyer is lying, and trying to trick you into shipping the item before you get paid.

2) You did not have the correct email account listed on your item, and the buyer's PayPal payment is sitting unclaimed in limbo somewhere.

re. #2 above - PayPal allows you to pay someone without a PayPal account by simply sending it to an email address.  The money sits unclaimed until the person with that email address creates an account and claims it. Until it is claimed, the person who sent it can cancel the payment.

I would suggest asking your buyer to check his paypal payment and verify the email address and whether it has been claimed or not.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@ko0474 wrote:

No one here can answer that for sure. But generally speaking, there is not any meaningful "delay" between a buyer paying and the money showing up in the seller's PayPal account.

1) The buyer is lying, and trying to trick you into shipping the item before you get paid.

2) You did not have the correct email account listed on your item, and the buyer's PayPal payment is sitting unclaimed in limbo somewhere.

re. #2 above - PayPal allows you to pay someone without a PayPal account by simply sending it to an email address.  The money sits unclaimed until the person with that email address creates an account and claims it. Until it is claimed, the person who sent it can cancel the payment.

I would suggest asking your buyer to check his paypal payment and verify the email address and whether it has been claimed or not.

@luckythewinner

All possible, but I suspect it's a case of the money having been sent, but since the seller is new, he may not be able to access the money due to PayPal's usual hold on funds for new sellers and is unaware of that restriction/distinction.

Once he checks on/works through what I suggested up-thread first and reports back, it will be easier to determine what is going on.   At this point, I wouldn't bother the buyer again.  OP is a new seller with zero feedback.  No reason to make the buyer think he/she is dealing with someone who's untrustworthy/unprofessional.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Go into the sold listing, and click on relist. Then check your paypal email address that is in the listing. DO NOT RELIST - just back out of it after you check the PP email address.

If it's wrong, and you have access to it, you can add it to PP. If it's wrong and you do NOT have access to it, then you will need to either cancel and relist with the correct PP email, or send a PP invoice. The buyer would need to cancel their pending payment.

I checked, and the email address in the listing and in my PayPal account, and they're the same. What is the restriction on new buyers in PayPal? I heard someone say that.

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

@ko0474 wrote:

I checked, and the email address in the listing and in my PayPal account, and they're the same. What is the restriction on new buyers in PayPal? I heard someone say that.

@ko0474

Payments as a new seller are held for 21 days UNLESS when you send an item the buyer leaves feedback OR if you send the item trackable and that item shows as delivered + 3 days then email paypal and they will release the funds sooner. Payment holds occur because: You have been selling on eBay for less than 90 days.

So that may be the issue, here.  HOWEVER, see my first post above.  What does your Sold Listings dashboard say in terms of payment?   When you go into your PayPal account, looking at either the Summary or Activity pages do you see any record of an incoming payment (even if there's a notation the money is on hold pr pending?)

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@ko0474 wrote:

@luckythewinner

All possible, but I suspect it's a case of the money having been sent, but since the seller is new, he may not be able to access the money due to PayPal's usual hold on funds for new sellers and is unaware of that restriction/distinction.

Your suspicion is based on a misunderstanding of the "hold". When a payment is made to a PayPal account, the seller can ALWAYS see the transaction, even if his money is being held. He just can't spend or move it. Would you ship an item if you funds were being held, and you couldn't see an actual transaction? I hope not.

If there is no transaction in the PayPal account, then "lucky's" list of possibilities is correct.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

@ko0474 wrote:

@ko0474

Payments as a new seller are held for 21 days UNLESS when you send an item the buyer leaves feedback

Feedback does not release held funds. That hasn't been true for several years.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@livadia wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@ko0474 wrote:

@luckythewinner

Your suspicion is based on a misunderstanding of the "hold". When a payment is made to a PayPal account, the seller can ALWAYS see the transaction, even if his money is being held. He just can't spend or move it. Would you ship an item if you funds were being held, and you couldn't see an actual transaction? I hope not.

If there is no transaction in the PayPal account, then "lucky's" list of possibilities is correct.

Sorry, @thatsallfolks.  I never said that I don't think @luckythewinner's possibilities were incorrect.    And I don't have any misunderstanding about what a "hold" means in terms of PayPal funds.   However, I suspect the OP does.   

He's asked when can he get his money?   By his later response/s, it's obvious he was unaware PayPal puts a hold on a new seller's funds.   Very possible that the money is in his account, but he can't access it.  That's my point -- and the reason why I have asked him repeatedly to confirm/deny he can see any trace of an incoming payment into his PayPal account and/or the status on his Sold Listings page.  

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@livadia wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@ko0474 wrote:

@luckythewinner

Sorry, @thatsallfolks.  I never said that I don't think @luckythewinner's possibilities were incorrect.    And I don't have any misunderstanding about what a "hold" means in terms of PayPal funds.   However, I suspect the OP does.   

He's asked when can he get his money?   By his later response/s, it's obvious he was unaware PayPal puts a hold on a new seller's funds.   Very possible that the money is in his account, but he can't access it.  That's my point -- and the reason why I have asked him repeatedly to confirm/deny he can see any trace of an incoming payment into his PayPal account and/or the status on his Sold Listings page.  

OP clearly stated:

" I haven't gotten gotten anything in my PayPal account"

I don't understand how you can misinterpret that.

You're also not up to date on what releases the funds.

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@livadia wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@livadia wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@ko0474 wrote:

@luckythewinner

OP clearly stated:

" I haven't gotten gotten anything in my PayPal account"

I don't understand how you can misinterpret that.

You're also not up to date on what releases the funds.

Well obviously @thatsallfolks, I am a total idiot and so is PayPal:

PayPal.jpg

But that's okay.  I'm glad I was able to make your day.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

I figured it out, but now it says I have money pending, how do I get it in my account!

Message 15 of 33
latest reply