cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment dispute over auction.

So from what i know, Their “son” bid on my item. What i dont believe is the fact that they retracted the bids multiple times, so i just believe they werent sure about purchasing. I already shipped out the item and itll be delivered on Friday. Which is the same day i have to respond to the dispute. What do i do? Also, should i do it now or the last day of the disputes time? Since it should be delivered by then. I have until May 4th

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Payment dispute over auction.

@whatabur26 wrote:

It is a payment not recognized dispute

This page explains your seller protections for "payment not recognized":

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293

When a buyer opens a payment dispute because they didn't receive the item or they don't recognize the transaction

When a buyer opens a payment dispute because they didn't receive the item or they don't recognize the transaction, sellers will be asked to provide:

• Evidence of successful delivery to the address provided by the buyer at checkout, or
  • Proof that the buyer collected the item

If eBay determines that the item was successfully delivered or picked up:

• We will not seek reimbursement from the seller for the disputed amount, even if the payment institution decides that the buyer is owed a refund; and
  • We will waive or refund the seller's dispute fee

Evidence of successful delivery

Tracking information from a shipping carrier that shows all of the following:

• A delivery status of "delivered" (or equivalent in the country to which the item was delivered);
  • The date of delivery;
  • The recipient's address that matches the one found on the Order details page, including the city/county or zip code (or international equivalent); and
  • For orders with a total cost of $750 or more, proof that signature confirmation was purchased (uploaded as an image when challenging the dispute).

View Best Answer in original post

Message 18 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Copy the tracking number from the order and paste it in the dispute. 
Do that before your time to respond approaches. 

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

@whatabur26 wrote:

So from what i know, Their “son” bid on my item. What i dont believe is the fact that they retracted the bids multiple times, so i just believe they werent sure about purchasing. I already shipped out the item and itll be delivered on Friday. Which is the same day i have to respond to the dispute. What do i do?

What kind of payment dispute did they file? INR? NAD? Payment provider? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

With their payment institution

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Did you ship after they asked you to cancel? Is it an expensive item? You still can do an intercept. At least you will get your item back. Not too sure about winning the dispute if it is a chargeback. 

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

I would wait until the item is delivered: Since the item is scheduled to be delivered on Friday, wait until then to ensure the buyer receives it.
Then respond to the dispute: On May 4th (the last day of the dispute period),

by providing the evidence you've gathered. Explain that the item was shipped and delivered as agreed upon, and that the buyer's retracted bids suggest uncertainty about the purchase.

By the way, I had a few infants buy from me in error, they were screaming for milk and their little hands hit the keyboard by accident. --it happens all the time.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

The item was shipped before then i believe. I had someone else ship it for me. It sold for 475 dollars, it is a very rare item.

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

If customer is disputing that they ordered this item....you should file be an immediate "package intercept" and get this item back in your possession.

Credit card companies will rule in favor of their customer (and let's them keep your item and your money).   

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Keep in mind the "expected" delivery date is only that.  Could get delivered early which would be ideal, but it could be late, and if their address has hit-or-miss Saturday service that could mean a Monday delivery.  

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

This isn't an ebay dispute it is a credit card/payment provider dispute...right?

If it is a transaction not recognized dispute from their payment provider, ebay will cover you if the item is delivered to their payment address.  If it is an item not as described payment provider dispute, that is a different story.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

@whatabur26 

Actually, looking at the bid history the winner never retracted any bids. The second place bidder did 5 bid retractions. 

I would enter the tracking number into the case before the dispute times out. I wouldn't wait.

I would also seriously consider having the USPS intercept the package and have it returned to you. Then once you have it back you could refund the buyer.

That would be better than to lose both the money and the item if the dispute goes against you.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

itll be delivered on Friday. Which is the same day i have to respond to the dispute.

Respond TODAY with the tracking number.

Are they just demanding you cancel the order or did they file a Claim?

If they filed a Claim was it for Not As Described (unlikely since they don't have it) or Not Received?

The Tracking Number stops the Not Received Dispute, at least for a few days until it is delivered.

If they have not filed a Claim, your response to their Message should be :

I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for refund.

This puts the ball in their court.

They can pay to have it returned, and when it is you promptly refund their purchase price and maybe the original shipping cost.

They can Refuse the shipment.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

In which case, eBay will not require you to refund anything.

Although most sellers will refund the purchase price, less any fees or shipping costs etc.

If they file a Not As Described dispute respond with:

I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for refund.

EBay will probably tell you to send Return Shipping. Do that promptly and refund when you get the item back.

Not every transaction will go perfectly.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@caldreamer 

Credit card companies will rule in favor of their customer (and let's them keep your item and your money).   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not if the package is addressed to the cardholder. 

Some more info,

When you file a dispute with your credit card company about an item you claim you didn't order, but the package was received at your address, the following steps may occur:

1. Initial investigation: The credit card company will investigate the dispute and may request additional information from you, such as:
- Proof that you didn't make the purchase
- Confirmation that the item was delivered to your address
- Any relevant documentation or evidence
2. Merchant response: The credit card company will contact the merchant (seller) to get their side of the story. The merchant may:
- Provide proof of the transaction (e.g., order confirmation, shipping details)
- Claim that the item was indeed ordered and delivered to the correct address
3. Chargeback decision: Based on the investigation and merchant response, the credit card company will make a decision:
- If in your favor, the charge will be reversed, and you won't be responsible for the payment.
- If in the merchant's favor, the charge will stand, and you'll need to pay for the item.
4. Potential further dispute: If you're unhappy with the decision, you can escalate the dispute to the credit card company's customer service or file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
5. Fraud investigation: If the credit card company suspects fraud, they may launch a further investigation, which could lead to:
- Closure of your credit card account
- Issuance of a new credit card with a different account number
- Collaboration with law enforcement to address potential identity theft or fraud

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

With a chargeback from a financial institution, put that tracking number into the dispute immediately.

If not sooner.

EBay will usually back you, by showing their bank that the address for the item is the same as the shipping address.

BTW- it's not unusual for kids to get hold of a parent's account and buy recklessly.

What is unusual is for parents to be angry with the seller rather than the idiot kid.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

This is misinformation. They did retract the bids, i have a screenshot of it. 

Message 15 of 34
latest reply