cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying shipping fees

Hi community! I couldn't find my original post:  Hoping this creates change in a confusing Ebay 'counter offer' system.  My original offer was for free shipping, my counter offer came to me " X + shipping" and I agreed.  I put notes in the counter offer that if they pay shipping -as how it was PRESENTED TO ME- I agreed.  Ebay uses a default - and doesn't carry over the original terms.  I have escalated it and got reimbursed for my shipping costs because I was not afforded the opportunity to counter for a higher amount (since the counter offer was presented with PLUS SHIPPING).  I hope they can update the default to include what's in the original post.  

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Paying shipping fees

"Best offer" negotiations are only about item price, NOT about shipping cost.  

If you want to get "free" shipping, then your offer should just subtract the shipping cost from the amount you're willing to pay.  In other words, if the item is listed at $20 with $5 shipping, and you want to offer $17 with free shipping, then you need to actually offer (17 - 5 = ) $12, because the $5 shipping is NOT negotiable.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Paying shipping fees

Shipping is not part of an offer, no matter what you say in the offer, you pay what ever shipping is shown on the listing.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Paying shipping fees

@pfyt3663 wrote:

my counter offer came to me " X + shipping" and I agreed.  I put notes in the counter offer that if they pay shipping 

From what you wrote above, it sounds like agreed to an X + shipping offer, and then you included a note saying you wanted free shipping. 

luckythewinner_0-1715021003733.png

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buy-now/making-best-offer?id=4019#section6

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Paying shipping fees

When you accept a counteroffer, you have accepted the price in the counter offer and the original shipping charge from the listing which is stated in the seller's counteroffer.

Pay what you agreed to pay,

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Paying shipping fees

You can find a previous post by clicking on your name in the community. Or, click on 'my profile' on the top right. Here is your other post.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/I-got-an-offer-from-a-buyer-it-said-quot-shipping-quot/td...

It's a bit confusing as your post here gave me the impression that you are the buyer but on your other post, it is clear that you are the seller accepting an offer.  Either way, the terms of shipping can not be changed in an offer. If it is already free shipping as you stated in your other post, you can't change it and charge for shipping regardless of what was written in the offer.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Paying shipping fees

What you should have done @pfyt3663 if you were good with the buyer's offer (let's say $10 + shipping , for example) and your listing was already set up with free shipping, is add the ship cost (let's say $5) to the offer price and make a counter offer for that total ($15) and explain to the buyer in offer notes the price includes shipping.

The way you tried to do it does not work because shipping on the listing is already set and cannot be changed through the offer system.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Paying shipping fees

Learning a lot, Ebay has changed so much:  but if they have a default setting, it could default to the "sellers offer" of either free shipping or not list anything.  It's defaulting to the WRONG info so it is giving off misleading info.  I'm learning but there are ways Ebay can improve and this could be one of them.  

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Paying shipping fees

Now I know; thank you for the response.  I was shocked to learn Ebay defaulted to misleading info.  I'd like to see this changed.  

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Paying shipping fees

The note said "I agree to $20 + shipping" because that is what EBAY said was being counter-offered.  I spoke with Ebay today and they agreed; I was refunded my shipping cost because their post mislead me to believe I was countered $20 + shipping.  It should not default to the wrong shipping type.  I hope they change/update it. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Paying shipping fees

Then Ebay should drop this from the counter offer.  The buyer sent $20 + shipping (I did not realize EBAY defaulted to + shipping . . even though my offer was free shipping with the sale Ebay changed the counter offer to "+ shipping" which is misleading. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Paying shipping fees

@pfyt3663 wrote:

The note said "I agree to $20 + shipping" because that is what EBAY said was being counter-offered. 

Not exactly. eBay said shipping is not include in offer price as demonstrated in a screenshot above. The buyer said in their comments on the offer that they wanted to change shipping. eBay will not change shipping in the offer system - it's way too complicated.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Paying shipping fees

It's not about the shipping; I really do understand the cost and offers; what I object to is when Ebay sends the counter offer and I end the item early with the promise of the counter offer being $20 PLUS shipping- when in reality there was NO + shipping, it was just a bad default on Ebay's part.  They agreed and refunded me the shipping label (which I purchased from their site luckily.  It should be updated to make the default accurate or not inlcude anything about shipping.  I appreciate your follow up.  

Message 13 of 13
latest reply