cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying a 30% eBay fee on sold item.

I am about to sell a vintage toy on eBay that I see sells for about $50.  Due to the size, it will also cost $50 to ship.

When it sells the 15% eBay feel will be calculated on both the sale price of the item ($50) and the shipping ($50), so $100.  

This means will be $15.  And this means that for your $50 item, you will net $35.

I believe it is unethical for eBay to charge sellers a fee on shipping.  Sellers do not receive the money for shipping, FedEx does.  Yet sellers pay a fee on it.

Ebay clearly can see and know this, but still will charge the seller the fee on shipping.

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Paying a 30% eBay fee on sold item.

@annagabor wrote:

Listed fees on ebay are not true. They take the percentage listed on your sale price +shipping+ sales tax plus .30 cents. Now they also want you to promote for mostly 12% and up  in order for buyers to  see in searches.  You usually pay out abour 25% or more on a non promoted item and 35% and more on a promoted item. 

I'm sorry, but you are mistaken "...Listed fees on ebay are not true..."

Regardless of what number(s) you put in the formula to determine a 'fee', it will always factor out to the percentage listed for the category...

(item price) + (shipping) + (sales tax) X (category percentage) = (fee)

it's mathematics....it is a calculation that has only 1 ending number

Now, if you CHOOSE to

A. Use Promoted Listings

B. Use A Reserve Price

C. Use BOLD LETTERS

D. Use a sub-title

E. Gallery Plus

F. List in 2 categories

G. Auction Duration Upgrades

then, conceivably, your selling "fees" could easily exceed the sale price of your item. Making the percentage 100%... These additional options are just that...options

like buying a car...you have the base model, but you want power windows, heated seats, etc...it's gonna cost you extra for the "stuff" from a list off additional costs, but the base model will be a set price until the cows come home. You chose to add that other 'stuff'...

so, you can't say with a straight face that "...Listed fees on ebay are not true..."

they are spelled out in black and white

Happy Selling and good luck

back to the LPGA Golf Tour on the tube

Message 76 of 78
latest reply

Low value items where shipping is the same or exceeds should be done with local avenues.

Get a return on the item, if you want it back that means you fully refund them most likely and will have to eat $100 dollar shipping fees. 

Not worth.

Old Thread Bumped.

Message 77 of 78
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 78 of 78
latest reply