cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal called me 4 times

PayPal called me yesterday.  I was in a meeting and missed the call. Saw a number on CallerID.

I googled the number, found out it was PayPal.  (There is no excuse for PayPal making calls to customers without the word "PayPal" in the Caller ID...I only received the number)

I have more than one PayPal account and checked each to see if any issues were flagged on the accounts.  I also checked my emails for any incoming important messages from PayPal.  Nothing.

I called back thinking it might be important.

The non-US agent goes through the hoops of validating it's me calling.   I tell her I have more than one account.  I'd like to know which account PayPal was calling about and what the issue was.

The non-US agent tells me that PayPal was calling to tell me that receipts from 2 of my $7 sales on eBay were on temporary hold for some reason related to PayPal/ebay wanting to be sure that I shipped items on time or something like that.   I can see when this happens on PayPal. 

I asked her several times if this was the reason for the call to me from PayPal...not something else.

I can SEE such things on PayPal.  PayPal owns its web site and can SEE if I've logged in to see these events.  PayPal can put a message in my PP message center and can see if I've read the message  or not.  PayPal also has my email address and can email me.   

I told her that it wasn't acceptable to have PP calling my phone over $7. I made sure she understood that.  

I don't fully trust that she knew the reason for the call. I think she may have been making it up as it was the only thing she could find on one of my accounts.    I think she was uselss. 

PayPal called me at least 2 more times yesterday after that.    It might have been more times but my mobile phone wasn't on the whole time and it only logs missed calls if it's on.  I wasn't available to answer.  I still don't know why they called.

Typos courtesy of Lithium.
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: PayPal called me 4 times

I've had calls from that number twice this week.  I did not answer (my caller id says Omaha, Nebraska).

As someone said, if it's important the caller will leave a message.

Actually, almost every call I receive does not show anything but the number and maybe the location, unless it's someone I've texted and it will then say "could be susie..."   There are very few identifiers or company names in caller id nowadays, it seems.

As someone said, if I care enough to investigate I google the number.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Perhaps it was simply a promotional call.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@hidy-hoo wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@skootergal wrote:

Just google the phone number.  There is scads of info out there.

This is true; many times there are reviews that will tell you if it is a scam call or not.

From OP's original post:

"I googled the number, found out it was PayPal.  (There is no excuse for PayPal making calls to customers without the word "PayPal" in the Caller ID...I only received the number "

If you do a search you will see other ebayers reporting that after accepting the call, they found multiple fraudulent charges on their credit card.

Hi, emerald ~ not sure what your point is as I just mentioned that the OP actually did google the number.  I never said anything about the number being fradulent or not, but that is good information and thanks for pointing it out.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

You may want to do a google advanced search again for that number - best to be safe than sorry.

On the first 2 pages, I've found complaints of hacked PP accounts and fraudulant charges back to 2014 associated with that phone number.  There were more, but it seems like it is 'an old story' and I didn't read any more than that.

You may want to check it out more fully and take appropriate action to update/change PW and whatever may be necessary, depending upon your findings.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

The call might not have been from PayPal at all. These smart-scammers are using real phone numbers so that if you do call that number back you get the real company but if you answer the phone when it calls it won't be the people the phone number belongs to.

Just got a couple last week that show up as no ID but if you call the number back it is Chase Bank but if you answer the call it won't be Chase Bank but some scammer wanting your CC information.

I no longer answer any phone calls that have no Caller ID. If they need me they can leave a message and I'll call them back.

This sort of thing happened to me. We got a phone call from "Revenue Canada" claiming to do a tax investigation on my husband. They tried several times, but on the last try I answered. I told them I am authorized on the account to discuss all matters as he is a sole proprietor and I am his bookkeeper. The "agent" refused, said it was confidential. I relented and woke my husband up, but when he got to the phone, the "agent" hung up. I phoned back the number and he answered "Revenue Canada (some made up department)". I said "why did you hang up after asking to speak with ****". The "agent" hung up. I googled the number online and found out it was a scam.

The thing with these fraudsters is they have the element of surprise on their side because you are not expecting the call, and when you listen to how much trouble you are in for whatever, your gut thinks it's wrong, but that voice in the back of your head says "what if I really am in trouble".

The fraudster from Revenue Canada didn't say anything to us at all, just identified who he wanted to speak to. He asked me for my name and I said "no you aren't calling to speak with me".

I'm not stupid, but will admit I've been taken by surprise on phone calls. This is why I don't answer the phone anymore unless I know who's calling. Calls to my cell go straight to voicemail always unless they're in my contact list. (Customers, a different business, call... they need to leave me a message, they are calling to speak to my boss at my part time business but have managed to get my business card at a trade show).

C.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

You may even come across a thread I participated in where someone called from this phone number and she sounded very suspicious, almost as if she was fishing for information.

I ended it quickly.

The only way I will speak to someone from ebay, paypal, bank etc. is if I initiated the call.

Otherwise I would ask whom I am speaking to, get their Id No. and then call back on their main number.

useless and irrelevant.  read the post

Typos courtesy of Lithium.
Message 21 of 29
latest reply

I realize you've bashed this information but others are just trying to protect you from what could be fraud.  You admitted yourself it sounded like PayPal was just making up a reason for the call.  So maybe there was no call from PayPal and the rep had no info to give you on it.  This number is the number PayPal uses when they consider there could be fraudulent activity.   However it does not mean that is really who called you.   This number has been reported as being associated with scams.  A scammer can make the caller id show a legit number.  Ever received one of those calls that shows a number would be in your city but it ends up being some telemarketer?  I've gotten some that even show my own number on the caller id.  It is still possible that it it not actually PayPal calling and if you do answer you should proceed with caution.  

if it actually is PayPal again this is the number used to preventing fraud so they would only be trying to protect the safety of your account.   Yes the transaction referenced when you called back was only $7 but small amounts can be used as testing and then larger amounts stolen.   If PayPal had a reason to believe this could be possible I'd be grateful for the heads up.   But since the number is calling so much I'm unsure if it's really them. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Just keep it simple OP.  If you have a question - just pick up the phone and call Paypal at their regular CS number.   I don't doubt they have a fraud department they can transfer you to internally. They may explain to you that your on auto re- call once a fraud alert has been triggered regardless the dollar amount.  Your answers and outcome lie with them, not here.   

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@stoneledge wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

You may even come across a thread I participated in where someone called from this phone number and she sounded very suspicious, almost as if she was fishing for information.

I ended it quickly.

The only way I will speak to someone from ebay, paypal, bank etc. is if I initiated the call.

Otherwise I would ask whom I am speaking to, get their Id No. and then call back on their main number.

useless and irrelevant.  read the post

And read my post.  I actually got a call from that number and spoke with someone there.  She was fishing for information and sounded extremely suspicious.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

I'm not stupid, but will admit I've been taken by surprise on phone calls. This is why I don't answer the phone anymore unless I know who's calling. Calls to my cell go straight to voicemail always unless they're in my contact list. (Customers, a different business, call... they need to leave me a message, they are calling to speak to my boss at my part time business but have managed to get my business card at a trade show).

C.

It's just terrible the lengths they go to anymore, the stupid robocalls with the dang computer voice putting me on hold (when it's them who called me to begin with) kills me but what makes it worse is nowadays even legit companies are doing it!

Yes, for real, I've had companies robocall me over something legit!

I'm like are you SERIOUS?!

You want to deal with me about something that concerns me and you want to robocall me about it?

Then when I answered I still couldn't get a human because it was 7p and their office hours are 9a-5p.

Certainly they must wonder why nobody wants to deal with them.

It's just unreal anymore.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

I have been getting a few new robo calls that you would swear was a live person.

It is only when you cannot interrupt them, you realize it is not.

I used to be polite and listen a bit and then say no thank you.

Now I just hang up.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

What truly baffles me about this is why on earth ANYONE this day and age would pay any attention to a number they don't recognize?

There is absolutely nothing to be gained from this. If you don't recognize the number, ignore and put it out of your head forever.

As others have said, there are ways to make it look like they are calling from a number that they are not. And also as others have said, if it's important or legitimate a message will be left with legitimate information.

Very simple.... not sure why the OP is over complicating something like this.......

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

What truly baffles me about this is why on earth ANYONE this day and age would pay any attention to a number they don't recognize?

There is absolutely nothing to be gained from this. If you don't recognize the number, ignore and put it out of your head forever.

As others have said, there are ways to make it look like they are calling from a number that they are not. And also as others have said, if it's important or legitimate a message will be left with legitimate information.

I do not have caller ID.

Very simple.... not sure why the OP is over complicating something like this.......

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

Just today I got a phone call and all that showed on my Caller ID was "Incoming Call". No phone number, no caller ID ... I answered it ... it was my daughter calling and she was calling on a landline and we are both on the same phone service. So sometimes you just feel a need to answer them when you don't know who is on the other end ... and sometimes I just like to play with them and waste their time.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply