cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal called me 4 times

PayPal called me yesterday.  I was in a meeting and missed the call. Saw a number on CallerID.

I googled the number, found out it was PayPal.  (There is no excuse for PayPal making calls to customers without the word "PayPal" in the Caller ID...I only received the number)

I have more than one PayPal account and checked each to see if any issues were flagged on the accounts.  I also checked my emails for any incoming important messages from PayPal.  Nothing.

I called back thinking it might be important.

The non-US agent goes through the hoops of validating it's me calling.   I tell her I have more than one account.  I'd like to know which account PayPal was calling about and what the issue was.

The non-US agent tells me that PayPal was calling to tell me that receipts from 2 of my $7 sales on eBay were on temporary hold for some reason related to PayPal/ebay wanting to be sure that I shipped items on time or something like that.   I can see when this happens on PayPal. 

I asked her several times if this was the reason for the call to me from PayPal...not something else.

I can SEE such things on PayPal.  PayPal owns its web site and can SEE if I've logged in to see these events.  PayPal can put a message in my PP message center and can see if I've read the message  or not.  PayPal also has my email address and can email me.   

I told her that it wasn't acceptable to have PP calling my phone over $7. I made sure she understood that.  

I don't fully trust that she knew the reason for the call. I think she may have been making it up as it was the only thing she could find on one of my accounts.    I think she was uselss. 

PayPal called me at least 2 more times yesterday after that.    It might have been more times but my mobile phone wasn't on the whole time and it only logs missed calls if it's on.  I wasn't available to answer.  I still don't know why they called.

Typos courtesy of Lithium.
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

PayPal called me 4 times

If I had to guess they wanted to give you a PayPal loan.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

PayPal called me 4 times

The call might not have been from PayPal at all. These smart-scammers are using real phone numbers so that if you do call that number back you get the real company but if you answer the phone when it calls it won't be the people the phone number belongs to.

Just got a couple last week that show up as no ID but if you call the number back it is Chase Bank but if you answer the call it won't be Chase Bank but some scammer wanting your CC information.

I no longer answer any phone calls that have no Caller ID. If they need me they can leave a message and I'll call them back.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

PayPal called me 4 times

Just google the phone number.  There is scads of info out there.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

PayPal called me 4 times

@skootergal wrote:

This is true; many times there are reviews that will tell you if it is a scam call or not.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

PayPal called me 4 times

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@skootergal wrote:

This is true; many times there are reviews that will tell you if it is a scam call or not.

From OP's original post:

"I googled the number, found out it was PayPal.  (There is no excuse for PayPal making calls to customers without the word "PayPal" in the Caller ID...I only received the number)"

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

PayPal called me 4 times

@hidy-

My apologies, that went right out of my head!

(Hangs head in shame and scuffles off to the punishment corner...)

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

PayPal called me 4 times

auctionpet
Guide
Paypal and ebay are separate companies. You may want to post this on the Paypal discussion board on that site, or email them directly about your concerns.
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

PayPal called me 4 times

@stoneledge wrote:

PayPal called me yesterday.  I was in a meeting and missed the call. Saw a number on CallerID.

I googled the number, found out it was PayPal.  (There is no excuse for PayPal making calls to customers without the word "PayPal" in the Caller ID...I only received the number)

I have more than one PayPal account and checked each to see if any issues were flagged on the accounts.  I also checked my emails for any incoming important messages from PayPal.  Nothing.

The non-US agent goes through the hoops of validating it's me calling.   I tell her I have more than one account.  I'd like to know which account PayPal was calling about and what the issue was.

The non-US agent tells me that PayPal was calling to tell me that receipts from 2 of my $7 sales on eBay were on temporary hold for some reason related to PayPal/ebay wanting to be sure that I shipped items on time or something like that.   I can see when this happens on PayPal. 

I asked her several times if this was the reason for the call to me from PayPal...not something else.

I can SEE such things on PayPal.  PayPal owns its web site and can SEE if I've logged in to see these events.  PayPal can put a message in my PP message center and can see if I've read the message  or not.  PayPal also has my email address and can email me.   

I told her that it wasn't acceptable to have PP calling my phone over $7. I made sure she understood that.  

I don't fully trust that she knew the reason for the call. I think she may have been making it up as it was the only thing she could find on one of my accounts.    I think she was uselss. 

PayPal called me at least 2 more times yesterday after that.    It might have been more times but my mobile phone wasn't on the whole time and it only logs missed calls if it's on.  I wasn't available to answer.  I still don't know why they called.

"The non-US agent tells me that PayPal was calling to tell me that receipts from 2 of my $7 sales on eBay were on temporary hold"

Were they on hold? Did your account reflect that?

Paypal should not be calling you over $7.  Like you said, they can email you or post a message in your account. And you are correct, paypal identity should appear on the phone. There is no excuse for paypal not to identify their call. That is the height of corporate irresponsibly. Why are they hiding?

I checked reports of that number and some reported legitimacy but many people said that it was a spoofed number and that they were asked questions about their account info, credit card numbers and other classic phishing questions. If they are asking for ANY account numbers for verification, hang up, that goes for anyone calling from any business. Legitimate businesses do not do this. 

There are reports of people receiving calls from that number and they gave account information and soon they were locked out of their account. Many other reports are from people who received a call from that number and didn't even have a paypal account. And others report fraudulent charges on their CC with that number listed from paypal.

I for one, NEVER answer or return calls from numbers that are not identified. They can leave a message if it's important. 

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

PayPal called me 4 times

Maybe it was a robo call and the reps knew nothing about it.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

PayPal called me 4 times

@hidy-hoo wrote:

@skootergal wrote:

From OP's original post:

"I googled the number, found out it was PayPal.  (There is no excuse for PayPal making calls to customers without the word "PayPal" in the Caller ID...I only received the number)"

If you do a search you will see other ebayers reporting that after accepting the call, they found multiple fraudulent charges on their credit card.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

PayPal called me 4 times

@hidy-

My apologies, that went right out of my head!

(Hangs head in shame and scuffles off to the punishment corner...)

Come back out, google that number, and see yes there have been fraudulent charges associated with it.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

PayPal called me 4 times

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Protections/Suspected-fraudulent-charge-402-935-7733/td-p/...

A link to paypal message board with a long discussion regarding this phone number.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

PayPal called me 4 times

You may even come across a thread I participated in where someone called from this phone number and she sounded very suspicious, almost as if she was fishing for information.

I ended it quickly.

The only way I will speak to someone from ebay, paypal, bank etc. is if I initiated the call.

Otherwise I would ask whom I am speaking to, get their Id No. and then call back on their main number.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

PayPal called me 4 times

@stoneledge wrote:

Anyone scammer can spoof a phone number. It's done all the time.

If there is a problem in your Paypal account, you'll see it immediately when you log in. They're not going to call about held payments, refunded payments, etc., especially low dollar ones.  The actual Paypal person you called was probably clueless and winging it just to tell you what she thought you wanted to hear.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 15 of 29
latest reply