cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROTECTING SELLERS FROM ABUSIVE BUYER PER EBAY OPEN***NOT HAPPENING!!!

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Customer wanted a lower price up front.  I gave a $10 discount/wanted more money off when they had to pay sales tax/wanted $15 or they were going to leave negative feedback/created a return but only wanted $15 off and to keep item.  Ebay told me to either give them the $15 or take the item back and credit them for the item and shipping both ways.  This was a perfect handmade item from the 70's the motivation was to get $$$ out of me from the beginning and they were completely supported in this by EBAY...SO WRONG

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Yeah I think the recent tax is really catching a lot of Buyers (and Sellers) off guard to the point where items that used to be cheaper than brick and mortar versions are either costing more or the same for everyone (since the Sellers get hit with final value fees) when buying on eBay.

I can see how this will just introduced new low balling scams from nefarious folks that want free things as well as deter real buyers who will begin to find out brick and mortar as well as actual online retailers have better (free shipping and tax free) offers

meh
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

i know that buyers do this sort of thing to get their items cheap.  I would ask them to return it for a full refund. That way you get your item back and deter this creep from succeeding with their scam.  When a buyer opens a claim they generally win.  Are you going to let them extort you further?

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Amazon has been collecting sales tax since 2017.   Hasn't seemed to have hurt that business. 

Is it just because people expect things to be cheaper on ebay than Amazon that additional sales tax would make a difference here?

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Monjon, agree to take it back and send a label even if you grit your teeth while you do it.  The guy has already gotten a discount.  Bet it is not shipped back.

He has 5 days from label receipt to mail it.  If it has not been shipped, you can call on day 6 and have the request closed.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

Amazon has been collecting sales tax since 2017.   Hasn't seemed to have hurt that business. 

Is it just because people expect things to be cheaper on ebay than Amazon that additional sales tax would make a difference here?

It's because Amazon is regarded as a company, a business, whereas ebay is regarded as a bunch of hard up folks trying to earn a living. Easier pickings. 

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@patd3283 wrote:

Monjon, agree to take it back and send a label even if you grit your teeth while you do it.  The guy has already gotten a discount.  Bet it is not shipped back.

He has 5 days from label receipt to mail it.  If it has not been shipped, you can call on day 6 and have the request closed.

This is the correct response to this type of abusive buyer. They want the item cheaper than what it is worth. You as a seller do not have to cave in to this type of pressure. Agree to take the shipping hit both ways, which is the only answer to stop this type of scammer. Call their bluff, approve the return, and hopefully they decide to never follow through because at the end of the day--they want the item, but they also are testing you to see if you cave under the slightest pressure. They're a predator, you're their prey. Stand your ground. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Announced protection will be come in to effect from oct 1st.
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I'm  sure I don't have to tell you to put this buyer on your blocked bidder list.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

This is not just an Ebay problem.    I have it everywhere I sell and more often on other sites than here at Ebay.

I tell them to return for refund.   I often get the,   "well,  it will cost  you more in shipping than the refund I am looking for". 

I just got a rant for a lady on another site about stretch satin.    She goes on and on about how there is not much stretch and how is she going to make a sweater tunic out of it.    She likes the fabric  but thinks that I should give her a 50 % refund  for not describing properly.       The description says a woven fabric with 2  %  stretch.  

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Perhaps you might inspect the returned item with a microscope or magnifying glass for any damage done.  If any damage is found use the report this seller button and file the appropriate response.  Then call eBay customer service again and explain what has occurred, including the threatening message from the buyer.  Ask that eBay cover you from monetary damages caused by this abusive buyer.

eBay just might, as a courtesy, refund the buyer from eBay funds and allow you to keep the initial buyer payment.  You will still lose the return shipping cost but that's better than a loss for the entire amount.

Unfortunately there are people out there who will steal from you, do whatever they can get away with to wheedle a discount from you or file a false claim hoping to get to keep the item plus get their money back. 

I've had several abusive buyers flat out message me that they want to keep the item and get their money back "because that's what eBay does"  and other that return only a portion of what they purchased and damaged what they did return at my expense.

Good luck with this!  

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Someone wants a post-sale discount? It's very simple.

Before shipment:

"Dear buyer,

I'm sorry, but I cannot offer any further discounts. I'll be happy to cancel the sale if this is not acceptable. Just let me know.

Yours,

Seller"

If they want to cancel, do it using the buyer requested option. If you don't hear back within your shipment time, ship it.

After shipment:

"Dear buyer,

I'm sorry you're not happy. Please return the item for a full refund.

Yours,

Seller"

Feedback be danged. If you get extorted, it can be removed.

Stop caving in to  these post-sale discount con artists.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Some have never shopped on Amazon so when ebay instituted the tax (yes I know it is not their fault) it did catch a lot of buyers off guard, especially when it was a gradual phase in.  I now check the list and try to stick with States where it has not happened yet, or buy locally.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@kataggr-44 wrote:

Some have never shopped on Amazon so when ebay instituted the tax (yes I know it is not their fault) it did catch a lot of buyers off guard, especially when it was a gradual phase in.  I now check the list and try to stick with States where it has not happened yet, or buy locally.

That makes no sense. It's based on where you live, not where the seller lives

Message 15 of 22
latest reply