cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other Sellers copying listings

Aaarrrggg! I realize that you can select the "sell similar" button and use someone else's listings as a guide for creating your own. But there's some Schmo seller out there who has copied my entire listing verbatim - even copied all of my pictures - and is basically using a carbon copy of my listings as his own.  About six of them (for items we both seem to have). It's absolutely infuriating!

As I understand things, eBay allows this sort of thing, but I've never seen someone plagiarize the entire listing. I'm basically working for him! 

Thanks for letting me vent... 

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Other Sellers copying listings

you should report this even though it is a pain.  The reason?   I actually had this happen and did not report it because it was a pain and the guy kept running the listing and then eBay Shut my listing down after about a week or so saying that I had copied that guys listing!     no kidding, there was no way to dispute it because they didn't just end my listing they took it completely away from me.    I know how this sounds and I wrote it that way on purpose because it is Ludicrous.  It did happen exactly as I described though.

also remember. ANY picture or thing you write becomes the property of eBay as soon as you post it. even if it's in a message.  Pictures, instructions, PDF files  anything.   it's something people tend to skip over when they are signing up.

Message 31 of 45
latest reply

auctionairecorp
Trailblazer

If you want your images protected on eBay you have to get them copyrighted only way to do that is to send them Washington DC copyrights office use their online application. 

Without having done that it would not surprise me if eBay Vero doesn't even return your email about this

Message 32 of 45
latest reply

I realize that you're angry that another seller has stolen your pictures and text.   I would too as I spend a significant amount of time photo editing and writing text.   Unfortunately there isn't much you can do.  However,  if you use photo editing software you can embed transparent watermarks across your pictures and they can't edit that out.

Message 33 of 45
latest reply

@shipshapedeals wrote:

you should report this even though it is a pain.  The reason?   I actually had this happen and did not report it because it was a pain and the guy kept running the listing and then eBay Shut my listing down after about a week or so saying that I had copied that guys listing!     no kidding, there was no way to dispute it because they didn't just end my listing they took it completely away from me. 
===============================================================

@@ Maybe the guy got a copyright on your picture?  That happened to someone that I know real well (LOL), or more accurately a competitor of an eBay seller contacted eBay VeRO and claimed the seller’s picture had their copyright on it. eBay automatically suspended the Seller's account even though the picture was taken by the eBay seller, had no copyright on it at all, and an eBay CSR located in PH readily agreed that picture had no copyright and agreed that the picture and the background were used or attached in the eBay seller's correspondences and other listings photos.

LOL, sometimes, I can only laugh. It's an ongoing immoral and illegitimate abomination

Your pictures can be recovered, on your device or even where you put them. My android automatically created a folder called ebay uploads (something like that)

Message 34 of 45
latest reply

@kuriouskeepsakes wrote:

I'm not an attorney, but you might want to look into copyright law.  Your photographs are automatically copyrighted.  Part of your user agreement with eBay is that they can use (steal) your text an images for whatever purpose they like (make money off your work).  But, I don't think that carries over to other sellers. 

I believe the photos become property of eBay once you upload them. eBay is OK with their photos getting stolen by other sellers. So no copyright infringement. I believe it is part of why eBay doesn't want watermarks in the photos.

Message 35 of 45
latest reply

I wonder if this watermarking Solution still works on eBay. But watermarking doesn't afford you the protection of a registered copyright , the keyword being registered.

http://www.zippyhelp.com/imagetools/watermark/watermarker_batch.htm

Message 36 of 45
latest reply

@lepke1979 wrote:

@kuriouskeepsakes wrote:
I believe the photos become property of eBay once you upload them. eBay is OK with their photos getting stolen by other sellers. So no copyright infringement. I believe it is part of why eBay doesn't want watermarks in the photos.

=======================================
@ Are you sure that the copyright owner is the sole owner?

Message 37 of 45
latest reply

If it's allowed then who would I report it to? 

Message 38 of 45
latest reply

I thought watermarks violate ebay policy...? 

Message 39 of 45
latest reply

@mygrneyesf wrote:

I thought watermarks violate ebay policy...? 

The following are not allowed:

• Photos that don't accurately represent the item
  • Placeholder images used to convey messages
  • Stock photos for used, damaged, or defective items
  • Photos with added borders
  • Photos with added text, artwork or marketing material
  • Watermarks of any type, including those used for ownership attributions
Message 40 of 45
latest reply

Ebay's policy is that anything posted on ebay marketplace belongs to ebay and any members are free to use it, including pictures, description,....etc.  However, if you have the same pictures used on other platforms such as Amazon, you can contact ebay and they will probably remove the listing.  So I was told a while back by an ebay customer service rep.

Message 41 of 45
latest reply

@kuriouskeepsakes wrote:

I'm not an attorney, but you might want to look into copyright law.  Your photographs are automatically copyrighted.  Part of your user agreement with eBay is that they can use (steal) your text an images for whatever purpose they like (make money off your work).  But, I don't think that carries over to other sellers. 

Actually, eBay granted themselves the non-exclusive rights to use whatever is uploaded to the site some time ago in an update to the UA.  Tus they can use such material in their catalog and allow other sellers to do so as well.  Since you have continued to use the site since that update you really have no alternative but to let it go regardless of the copyright. 

Frankly, it really pays to read all that boring stuff when eBay decides to update the UA.  I haven't listed any of my original artwork since that UA update.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 42 of 45
latest reply

i know this is an old thread, but i just had a seller copy several hundred of my listings, i dont mean just the pics, he cut and pasted title and cut and pasted complete description on every single one, i have contacted ebay and they have told me there is nothing they can do, i am in texas and i am considering legal action, how did your friend come out on his?

thanks

Message 43 of 45
latest reply

@bding44 ,

It happens to all of us including myself. To me it’s not worth wasting time on trying to stop someone because you can’t stop them all. 

Like they say “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” so you must be doing something right.

Message 44 of 45
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 45 of 45
latest reply