cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other Sellers copying listings

Aaarrrggg! I realize that you can select the "sell similar" button and use someone else's listings as a guide for creating your own. But there's some Schmo seller out there who has copied my entire listing verbatim - even copied all of my pictures - and is basically using a carbon copy of my listings as his own.  About six of them (for items we both seem to have). It's absolutely infuriating!

As I understand things, eBay allows this sort of thing, but I've never seen someone plagiarize the entire listing. I'm basically working for him! 

Thanks for letting me vent... 

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Been happening for awhile when eBay stopped protecting sellers on pic etc. We have had 100's of items copied. Talked to eBay and they ignore and even encourage the practice and allow sellers to copy other seller's listing. Very bad practice for everybody as buyers may expect the same level of customer service and when they do not get what they think they return items. This week we contacted a seller and basically they replied that since the item was the same in all aspects they are allowed to copy our entire listing. They had a feedback of 2 and the pic's were different.  One tactic that seems common is the seller copying the listing lists the item cheaper than your listing. Seems I heard that eBay is trying to get sellers to take advantage of more experienced sellers which may explain the reason they pushed "item specifics" so hard and for the other changes on the site. May also explain why the "problems" issues have increased because if a seller does not bother the learn the eBay system but just sign up and copy another seller's listing w/o the experience nor knowledge of eBay policies on how to handle all of the possible issues that may come up , like with buyer returns, MP , shipping, defects etc.  In our opinion, eBay is becoming just a big mud puddle. The trend seems to be to remove any uniqueness among sellers and make them seem all the same. 1984 is alive and living at eBay.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Send him a note to do his own work and stop stealing your listings and pictures.   Then report him.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

We feel ya. Come back anytime...

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

From what I have read here it is ok to use any photo.  I couldn't care less if someone used my info.  Then again I sell one-of-a-kind vintage post cards and matchbook covers.  Hard to find items sometimes and the condition usually differs between sellers who have old nostalgic paper.

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

It is an odd form of flattery - and it is wrong to steal someone else's work in entirety.

Sorry this is happening - let's hope it stays at the 6 listings or less.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 5 of 45
latest reply

What's even worse is when their item sells and yours is still sitting there waiting to be sold. I had a guy use some photos of some small baseball pamphlets from the 60s I was selling. Mine were in near mint condition and the photos reflected that. I can't imagine what his buyer got and how happy they were with the purchase they got.

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

I did send him a message - he had the audacity to offer to sell me his stock! I can't report him because I don't think his conduct - reprehensible as it is - actually violates ebay policy. Just boils me in oil! 

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

Been happening for awhile when eBay stopped protecting sellers on pic etc. We have had 100's of items copied. Talked to eBay and they ignore and even encourage the practice and allow sellers to copy other seller's listing. Very bad practice for everybody as buyers may expect the same level of customer service and when they do not get what they think they return items. This week we contacted a seller and basically they replied that since the item was the same in all aspects they are allowed to copy our entire listing. They had a feedback of 2 and the pic's were different.  One tactic that seems common is the seller copying the listing lists the item cheaper than your listing. Seems I heard that eBay is trying to get sellers to take advantage of more experienced sellers which may explain the reason they pushed "item specifics" so hard and for the other changes on the site. May also explain why the "problems" issues have increased because if a seller does not bother the learn the eBay system but just sign up and copy another seller's listing w/o the experience nor knowledge of eBay policies on how to handle all of the possible issues that may come up , like with buyer returns, MP , shipping, defects etc.  In our opinion, eBay is becoming just a big mud puddle. The trend seems to be to remove any uniqueness among sellers and make them seem all the same. 1984 is alive and living at eBay.

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

Hi, below is the policy governing this issue, Images and Text policy. You will note that it is no longer an eBay violation to “borrow” another seller’s work. However, eBay does advise sellers to contact the offending user if the listing has not appeared in eBay’s product catalogue, and request they desist.

Just for fun, the policy also states (in the first sentence) that sellers should create their own content. Then it goes on to contradict itself. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/images-text-policy?id=4240

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

I couldn't agree more. And that's just what this guy did - not many feedback, copied entire listing, then changed price to undercut.  Thanks for your input. Helps me knowing I'm not crazy! 

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

Exactly, the buyer gets 100% protection while comparing your CS with the other seller which fits the  eBay  push for you to lower prices.  Amazon, has always started at low prices, creams the competition and then raises prices after the field has been cleared.  Hence, no more free delivery for prime members on groceries.  eBay does not get the value of your time, experience, reputation and efforts and allows the theft of those resources from you.  Their autobot system cannot recognize  subjective values and defines everything in objective terns ie. numbers.  You will also not the many limits built into their system. Like you cannot use GSP for items above $2500.

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

I'm not an attorney, but you might want to look into copyright law.  Your photographs are automatically copyrighted.  Part of your user agreement with eBay is that they can use (steal) your text an images for whatever purpose they like (make money off your work).  But, I don't think that carries over to other sellers. 

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

Isn't great that a new seller or any seller can copy a listing from a top rated seller and steal your work. Many buyers really do not read listing but look at the price and then buy thinking it is you off your rep. Another attempt to turn the site into an egalitarian where seller's uniqueness is merged in a lowest price, buyer do whatever they want I,Robot  society.

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

Nothing works other than the conscience of the seller, been fighting this for years and it has only gotten worse. The 2 feedback seller is from Cyprus that we used an the latest example says he was told by eBay to do it. 

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

The people that do this are setting themselves up for some bad responses from their buyers if those items do not really look like what you have for sale. Personally , I would never copy someone else’s listing. It becomes a confusing and perhaps inaccurate depiction, and if the item is not exactly as shown, Trouble.

Message 15 of 45
latest reply