cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ohio Department of Agriculture confirms - Auctioneer licenses needed for anyone selling over $10,000

Yesterday I started a thread about Ohio HB321 which requires auctioneer or auction firm licenses for anyone who auctions items on the internet.   I received confirmation this morning from the Department of Agriculture that this is true, however Gov. Dewine signed an bill that modifies HB321 slightly.  (this doesn't come up anywhere online when searching for info about auctioneer licensing).

Anyone selling items for profit, over $10,000 gross, cannot sell auction items on Ebay without an auctioneer license.  The agent specifically ignored my question about the Make Offer feature, which according to one comment by the Department of Agriculture, may also be considered auctions.  I asked again and am waiting on an answer.  Also, they have not answered whether individual employees of an auction firm must have auctioneer licenses to post auctions on ebay.

Congrats everyone, we're all crooks!

This is the text of the email I received:

Dear XXXXX,

HB 321 signed into law in June of 2022 and was effective September 13, 2022 defined online auctions and requires an auctioneer or auction firm license under Chapter 4707 of the Ohio Revised Code unless an individual meets an exemption found with in ORC 4707.02(B).  The exemption for the owner of ones’ goods not requiring a license is for those individuals who acquire property without the intent to resell the property.  If the property is acquired with the intent to resell, a license would be required or you would need to hire a licensed auctioneer or auction firm to conduct your auctions.

HB 507 – signed by the Governor on January 6, 2023, effective date April 6, 2023

• Exempts from auctioneer and auction firm licensure requirements a person who, in any calendar year, sells not more than $10,000 of personal property via an auction mediation company (for example, eBay) if: 
    • The auction mediation company provides fraud protection to the buyer; and
    • The property is the person’s own personal property, or the property is the personal property of another (sold without compensation).

“Fixed price listings” or “buy it now pricing “ does not fall within the definition of an auction, and would not require a license under ORC Chapter 4707.

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Ohio Department of Agriculture confirms - Auctioneer licenses needed for anyone selling over $10,000

I believe you're way overthinking this.

Ebay is the auctioneer, I am certain their license requirements are in order.
I am using their site, I don't need Ohio's auctioneer license unless I am conducting the auction but so long I am auctioning on ebay then it is ebay that needs to comply with licensing regulations.

Message 46 of 54
latest reply

Not according to the state of Ohio. Ebay is not considered the auctioneer.

Message 47 of 54
latest reply

I just talked to the Ohio Small Business Center. They stated that an auctioneers license is only required if you are hosting the auction site. He stated that a license is not required for ebay.

Message 48 of 54
latest reply

That sounds more realistic.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 49 of 54
latest reply

@queencityvintageltd wrote:
  • Exempts from auctioneer and auction firm licensure requirements a person who, in any calendar year, sells not more than $10,000 of personal property via an auction mediation company (for example, eBay) if: 

I sold my ham-and-cheese* sandwich in the breakroom today.

It wasn't an auction.

And eBay has always pointed out that they have auction-style listings.

That's not an auction.

*Kirkland ham, Gotye cheese, Artisan bread

Message 50 of 54
latest reply

In the peoples republic of Illinois the dear leader hath decreed that those selling items for others on ebay must seek the approval of the dear leader in the form of a auctioneers license in order to do so

Message 51 of 54
latest reply

@bashort wrote:

In the peoples republic of Illinois the dear leader hath decreed that those selling items for others on ebay must seek the approval of the dear leader in the form of a auctioneers license in order to do so

Perhaps in the case of selling items FOR OTHERS, however anytime such is the case there would exist a state statute, can you refer us to the statute that quotes this specific law?

Message 52 of 54
latest reply

@bashort wrote:

Cite please?

Message 53 of 54
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 54 of 54
latest reply