cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offer for 500 free listings . . . hmmmm

grumpus_otter
Thrill-Seeker

I think ebay must have noticed a decline in sellers listing things, as I just got an offer to list 500 things free.  Usually it is 50 or 100. Have you ever seen 500 before?  I was wondering if they've noticed how many have left because of the GTC bullshi

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

I used them all, but it was not easy. There was a software glitch that caused issues and I spend 40 minutes on the phone getting it straightened out. 

I'm still not sure it is 100% correct but you know what, I'm done fighting. 

It's time for a break, the GTC was/is a mess. I basically downgraded my store of 1000+ items and ended all "buy it now" fixed price items. 

Auctions end Monday, then I'm taking some time for reflection. 

Remember the olden times, when "KISS" meant something, and "If it is not broken, don't break it" applied - and worked?

Remember when eBay wanted us, the smaller sellers?

Now they want to be like Amazon, reminds me of the old AOL daze.....

God I hope and pray the powers to be come to their senses and be good at who and what they are. 

Thanks for reading, didn't mean to run off the tracks, but it's been a long run for me, since 1999, managing multiple accounts for multiple people, hundreds of thousands of dollars in sales, all with 100% positive feedback......

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

@grumpus_otter wrote:

I think ebay must have noticed a decline in sellers listing things, as I just got an offer to list 500 things free.  Usually it is 50 or 100. Have you ever seen 500 before?  I was wondering if they've noticed how many have left because of the GTC bullshi

It is doubtful that one thing has anything to do with the other.  Ebay has ran such promos for years.  Don't read more into it than is intended.  Not all sellers are invited to every promo and there is usually several different promos running at any given time.

I respect that you don't like GTC and may not want to use it.  But this particular concern has nothing to do with if GTC is working well or not.  GTC has been around for many years and most sellers use it.  I do however understand that GTC is just not what you want to use.  You are in good company as there are many sellers that don't like the change.  I'm not so sure it is right for everyone either.  But it is what you will have to deal with as many sites have gone this direction.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

@grumpus_otter wrote:

Have you ever seen 500 before?

eBay has given 500 free insertion specials for DECADES.

I get at least two a year. 

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

@grumpus_otter wrote:

Most of the time, I get 100 or 200 free listings but rarely 500. So it was cool surprise to wake up to. Thank you, ebay.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

They just ended a 500 free listing promo, so probably rolling it out in cycles. I got the one just ended, my daughter got this one.

And yes her promos the last year or so have mainly been 50 to 100.

Until the 500 promo I got last month I hadn't had a free listing promo for years.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

How does this affect the new GTC policy? If someone uses them all will they get relisted at a fee if not canceled?

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Possibly because, as they're good for GTC renewals as well as new listings, it helps with how many you need to use of your monthly allotment to cover GTC renewals?

Not everyone is going to slam up 500 (or whatever #) NEW listings every time they get a promo.
Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@slati_2013 wrote:

How does this affect the new GTC policy? If someone uses them all will they get relisted at a fee if not canceled?

It is likely that the OP feels that the only reason they got the Promo was because Ebay is seeing a decline in listings due to the GTC policy change.  Which I'm not aware of any stats to support that.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

What happened to the 50,000 free listings they used to give?

Their site is even worse now, but they want to convince you its worth paying listing fees by giving you far less free listings.

Thanks, but I'll just haul entire load of items at once to a consignment store and make more money instead.

Nice when you can get rid of over 800 pounds of books in one shot.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

I think sellers are getting frustrated with all the changes in ebay. Just when you think you got it figured out they change the rules. I have been selling for years and ebay used to offer free listings all the time. A few years ago the free listings seemed to go away. It frustrated me. I felt like ebay was doing this because I had a store. Even tho I have many listings with the store I love the free listings because I can add BIN to my auction listings without the extra fees.  I hate that they have changed our fixed price listings to Good Til Cancelled.  I think Ebay has forgot where they Came From.....it was on the backs of small sellers....with an auction format.  If I want to shop on Amazon I will shop on that site. Ebay is trying to be another Amazon. Oh well enough ranting. 

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

I’ve gotten that large an offer several times.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Nope ! All I was offered is 100 for a nichol each.

Buyers are drying out....why list more...

Ebay is really boring me lately.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

I too have not received free listings for years. Not sure how they pick and choose.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@dressedbest4less wrote:

I think sellers are getting frustrated with all the changes in ebay. Just when you think you got it figured out they change the rules. I have been selling for years and ebay used to offer free listings all the time. A few years ago the free listings seemed to go away. It frustrated me. I felt like ebay was doing this because I had a store. Even tho I have many listings with the store I love the free listings because I can add BIN to my auction listings without the extra fees.  I hate that they have changed our fixed price listings to Good Til Cancelled.  I think Ebay has forgot where they Came From.....it was on the backs of small sellers....with an auction format.  If I want to shop on Amazon I will shop on that site. Ebay is trying to be another Amazon. Oh well enough ranting. 

I'm with you. I only ever use BIN with auctions when it's a free promo. I don't know why they simply refuse to give store owners the same free BINs and free scheduling as they do their non payers.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply