cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non payment proceedures

The option on awaiting payment to open a nonpayment case has been removed.

Can anyone tell me the new procedure to do in a nonpayment situation?

Trimix

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Non payment proceedures

From the help page:  Has to be day 5

Sellers don't need to open unpaid item cases any longer. Instead, orders can be canceled if a buyer hasn't paid within 4 calendar days. If you still have open unpaid item cases, you have 36 days from the date they were opened to close them. If you don't close them within 36 days, we'll close them for you, but you won't be eligible for a final value fee credit and the unpaid item won't be recorded on the buyer's account.

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

What is the situation really here?

I just have the same situation and I do not want to cancel the transactions (it is normal that some buyers take over 4 days to pay or they may even ask me for a longer time). I just want to send the buyers a stern message "please pay soon or it will get cancelled - and if you do not pay it will count against you account standing with eBay".

Of course I can send a bunch of individual messages to the buyers - but it was easier to have a function/system for this...

Also, do the buyers still get messages saying that if a seller cancels due to non-payment it is counting against their account? (And does it really do so?)

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

If you don't have your account set up to auto cancel unpaids in 5 days then you can give them extra time as you see fit.

But don't forget to cancel PRIOR to 36 days if unpaid or you wont get your fees back.. 

eBay still sends payment reminders, I've even seen posts from sellers that got FB dings, from nonpayers because of eBay's payment reminders..

Do they get informed they will get a strike?- Who knows.. I've never failed to pay as a buyer so I have no first hand knowledge of that. 

The only way these count against a buyer is sellers that have buyer settings that block bidders/buyers with more than 2 unpaid strikes..  As to if it really does anything? Not likely.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Some low number buyers just do not pay and do not communicate at all. Ebay has no option for non payment under the cancellation.  Three option, buyer wants to cancel , seller wants to cancel , something wrong with the address. There should be a seller did not pay option because i do not want to cancel i just want to be paid.

If i use the seller wants to cancel the deal does it count as a strike against me?

T

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@trimix wrote:

Some low number buyers just do not pay and do not communicate at all. Ebay has no option for non payment under the cancellation.  Three option, buyer wants to cancel , seller wants to cancel , something wrong with the address. There should be a seller did not pay option because i do not want to cancel i just want to be paid.

If i use the seller wants to cancel the deal does it count as a strike against me?

T

I'm pretty sure that after 5 days, there is a "buyer didn't pay" option..

I haven't seen it but I believe I recall somebody posting a screenshot of it. 

It's on this page https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items?id=4137 

~Pika~

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Ok, thanks. That provides some clarity...

I do not have automated cancellations (or payment reminders) set up as I usually run weekly auctions and it is quite common that some recurring buyers will want to combine for 2 weeks of auctions. If they are recurring buyers it really doesn't bother me to wait 10 or 14 days to get pay a few hundred bucks.

I did used to find that opening cases which sent pretty stern emails to the buyers often made them pay, while the regular "you have not paid for your item" emails were pretty friendly worded and most seasoned buyers ignore them as they know those emails did not really do anything.

Now this time I have more unpaid invoices than usual from my auction batch last week, which has me a bit annoyed at the change of system as I do not really know in what way it is different to the buyers.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@hknumismatics 

You're welcome no worries..

You are also still welcome to send reminders of your own.

The link above details how to do that.. You can add your own message to let them know it's just a friendly reminder..

There has been a rash of unpaids lately & it's been increasing.. Not sure what's up with that.

Good Luck to you.. 

~Pika~

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I suspect that it is related to the eBay changes to this procedure (!)

I know I was getting those reminder emails on some purchase I made from a friend on my buyer account, but because he owed me money (outside eBay) he did not mark it as paid as it was getting picked up by me next month when we were meeting (as marking it paid would have given him a shipping defect and as my buyer account had a foreign address "local pick-up" cannot be offered as per weird eBay settings). So I have received the old email versions and those basically said "You are required to pay within 48 hours, else the seller may cancel the sale - please pay to make sure you do not lose your items".

The above style of message does not worry most "old" buyers as they have known they can ignore these messages. The opening of cases came with a much more stern warning about possible account implications etc. and I saw a high frequency of payments once a case was opened.

For recurring clients I'd normally send a personal message before opening cases as a courtesy; but I do not want to really send messages and have discussions with each buyer over not paying for some 26 dollar item they won in auction...

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

This is very helpful. Thank you

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I actually liked when you open a case. In most cases the person paid and the case closed. This new way i am not sure the buyer will have the same time frame to pay. Looks like you just cancel the deal and move on now.

Its great to fix things that are not broken.

trimix

Message 11 of 11
latest reply