cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Paying Buyers

What the heck is going on with ebay and its buyers lately.  I have been selling on ebay for over 20 years and in all that time, I had maybe 5 nonpayer buyers.  I heard all kinds of excuses why the payment was not made in a timely manner.   Now it seems that the new buyers bid on an auction, win the auction and don't pay and don't even give an excuse.  I send an invoice and then a reminder (although ebay does also when the auction ends) and still no payment!  If a buyer doesn't pay after 2 days, I know they are not going to pay.  If I want to cancel the order after 2 or even 3 days, the 3 choices for cancellation do not include NONPAYMENT!   Unfortunately, I have to wait 5 days or more to cancel an order.  Also I can't block people that have Zero or less than 2 transactions.   It seems that people today think that bidding and buying an item on ebay is entertainment and not a serious auction platform.  Does anyone have the same problem or a solution (besides discontinuing selling)?  

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Non-Paying Buyers

@oregonactionfiguresllc wrote:

This statement is inaccurate. I run BIN/IPR and still have had non-paying buyers.

Huh?  I'm curious to know how?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

You've had 5 non-payers in the past 20 years, now all of a sudden you have several.

How is that ebay's fault?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@oregonactionfiguresllc wrote:

This statement is inaccurate. I run BIN/IPR and still have had non-paying buyers.

Huh?  I'm curious to know how?

I mentioned above that it may be the offer feature which eliminates IPR. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Actually, now that you mention it, does it pertain to offers?

I feel like when I have sent offers, there are always some losers that accept the offer, then never pay.

The same rules should apply to them.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

A few basic lines would probably be better - I'm not sure anyone is going to read all of that.

And at least half of it is unenforceable and/or an outright violation of eBay policy:

FINE PRINT 

PAYMENT MUST BE MADE USING PAYPAL WITHIN TWO (2)  DAYS OF ENDING OF AUCTION. IF YOU CANNOT PAY IN 2 DAYS, YOU MUST CONTACT ME SO THAT I DON'T OPEN AN UNPAID ITEM CASE WITH EBAY.   IF YOU NEED EXTRA TIME, YOU MUST LET ME KNOW.  BUY IT NOW REQUIRES IMMEDIATE PAYMENT.  YOUR BID IS A BINDING OFFER, SO PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS IS THE ITEM YOU WANT.  

I am now retired.  I have lots of cool, old stuff in my house in Florida, taken from my Upstate New York attic and basement.  My kids don't want any of it!   The items I sell now are my own stuff which originally came from estate sales,  garage sales, flea markets and my own family collections purchased many years ago.  ACCORDINGLY, most of my items are either antique or vintage and have been used (unless otherwise noted) and will have normal marks from use, i.e. scratches, rub marks, etc. They may not look new out of the package. I cannot describe every little thing. I will though, describe large or major imperfections that are not a part of normal use.

There may be slight differences in the colors of the listed item due to monitor settings, camera settings, etc...  

ALL MY ITEMS  WILL COME FROM A PET FREE, SMOKE FREE HOME.  

I ship the item usually the same or next day .  
Please understand that I am not responsible for how long your package takes to get to you. Again, I ship the same day or next day.  ALL POSTAGE CHARGES ARE FOR THE U.S. ONLY.  I use  First Class Mail or Priority Mail at my discretion.  PLEASE NOTE THAT THE U.S. POST OFFICE HAS RAISED ITS RATE SIGNIFICANTLY.  HOWEVER, I WILL STILL TRY TO CHARGE  YOU THE LOWEST RATES POSSIBLE FOR SHIPPING. 

Ebay has raised their commission fees so please don't think that my prices are too high.  I was shocked to see what they take out of the cost of the items I have sold.  I try to mark my items as reasonably priced as possible taking into consideration what I paid for them.  As always, I appreciate your business.

I PACK VERY WELL. I MAY USE RECYCLED BOXES OR STUFFING.  BUT EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS CLEAN AND REUSABLE.  IF YOUR ITEM ARRIVES DAMAGED IN ANY WAY, IT DID NOT LEAVE MY HOUSE THAT WAY AS THE PICTURES WILL SHOW. YOU SHOULD HOLD THE POST OFFICE RESPONSIBLE AND FILE A CLAIM WITH THE U.S.P.S. I WILL DO ALL I CAN TO ASSIST YOU IN FILING ANY PAPERS FOR A CLAIM. 

PICTURES ARE AN IMPORTANT PART OF MY DESCRIPTION AND QUESTIONS ARE REQUESTED IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF ANY PART OF THIS ITEM. I HAVE EXAMINED THE ITEM AND THE ITEM THAT YOU SEE IN THE PICTURES ARE WHAT YOU WILL GET, IN THE CONDITION DESCRIBED.   PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS IF YOU ARE UNSURE OR HAVE ANY CONCERNS ABOUT THE ITEM LISTED.  I ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS.

I DO NOT ACCEPT REFUNDS UNLESS I HAVE NOT ACCURATELY DESCRIBED THE CONDITION OF THE ITEM OR IF IT IS VERY FRAGILE.  IN THE EVENT OF A RETURN, BUYER PAYS RETURN SHIPPING CHARGES.   ITEM MUST BE IN ORIGINAL PACKAGED BOX IN THE CONDITION DESCRIBED IN MY AUCTION.   NOTIFICATION OF INTENT TO RETURN ITEM MUST BE MADE WITHIN SEVEN (7) DAYS OF RECEIPT OF ITEM.  

*******

International Buyers Please Note: I USE EBAY GLOBAL SHIPPING ONLY. 

FEEDBACK 

Kindly take a moment to leave feedback.  Leaving positive feedback is the only way I know the transaction was satisfactory.  

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PURCHASE.  I APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!
Message 20 of 22
latest reply

I copied most of this from someone else's auction.  I have never had a return since selling in 2001, except if something was broken and then I would give a refund.  I guess I don't need the first part about where my items come from but I believe everything else is important.  If I didn't mention "no returns unless I have not accurately described something", half the people would decide they didn't need it.  So unfortunately that will stay in.  Also I have the right to decide when I want payment.  If you win an auction or was a final bidder, why not pay up front?  If you don't have the money to pay, you should be bidding on ebay.  If someone asks for extra time, I always say YES, as long as they  ask.  I know that if someone doesn't respond to my request for payment after a few days, THEY ARE NOT PAYING!!!  It is very aggravating after taking pictures, listing pictures and description and then no payment!  

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

I thought that automatic payment was for BIN only.  Most of my items are not "best offer", and I don't think 2 days is unreasonable to ask for payment.  If you bid on an item, you should be ready to pay right away.  I always give me time if someone needs it.  The ones who don't ask and don't pay in 2 days and don't respond to my invoices or emails, aren't going to pay!

Message 22 of 22
latest reply