cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No reimbursement of PayPal fees.

A buyer purchases an item.

The buyer then asks to cancel for some reason or other.

Seller cancels the purchase.

PayPal no longer refunds their fee.

I, along with many other sellers, would agree this is unfair.

My question is are there any actions that can be taken to avoid

this from happening in the future?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: No reimbursement of PayPal fees.

No recourse that I know of.......some have tried to do the refund less the fees....but not sure how that works......

The thought is that paypal does their job......i.e. handles the money..... and therefore should be paid for their actions....even tho a refund has to be made......

A protest should be made on the PP boards, since ebay has nothing to do with it. 

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

One might think, since PayPal has been 'contracted' to do a job - process a payment - and has done it, that it would be between the seller and the buyer as to who takes any loss.  Somehow, I highly doubt that Visa or MasterCard reimburses PayPal when a buyer cancels a purchase.

Like ebay, PayPal is not your 'friend' - they are a business, just like any store is.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

One might think, since PayPal has been 'contracted' to do a job - process a payment - and has done it, that it would be between the seller and the buyer as to who takes any loss.  Somehow, I highly doubt that Visa or MasterCard reimburses PayPal when a buyer cancels a purchase.

Like ebay, PayPal is not your 'friend' - they are a business, just like any store is.

their "job" is paid for with the $.30 fixed fee that is not refunded. Yes visa and mastercard reimburses paypal, so paypal is pocketing all this money.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@usgamecollector wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

their "job" is paid for with the $.30 fixed fee. Yes visa and mastercard reimburses paypal, so paypal is pocketing all this money.

Agree with the $0.30 thought^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My thoughts:

I understand them charging fees for their services, and protections, and the "protections" are what I see the "beyond $0.30 fee" being for.

A %age base upon the amount of the funds processed for that "protection".

$0.30 covers the actual transaction. All electronic, no man hours(person hours) expended.

When the payment is refunded there is no longer a "risk" for PP. There will be nothing to protect anyone from.

It is like a fee that they are depositing in an insurance fund to cover/protect the seller. No buyer/seller transaction, no "risk" for PP.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Oh, you mean like the 'cookie jar' insurance many sellers advocate?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

This is a change PP implemented late last year.  

My guess is that they justify it that they did provide the service that we paid them for, so why should they have to refund the fees to us.  Not that I like that, but I suspect that is the premise in which they are using to keep the money.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

What seems unfair to you seems fair to paypal

As ebays moves everyone to managed payments pp policy will be less important than ebay policy.Anyone in managed payments ...does ebay refund any off the fee when a refund is made?

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@misfitfun wrote:

As ebays moves everyone to managed payments pp policy will be less important than ebay policy

And in MP the fees are refunded, except for the 30 cents.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

No recourse. 

Know that B&M stores have never received 'fees' back from credit card processors once a credit card is run at the register. This 'up till now' scenario, refunding those fees,  was a gift for many years. 

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

That is incorrect. I have spoken to several B&Ms who get fees refunded once a return is processed for a customer. This is a PP money grab.
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I make a call and request they return my money. If its a few cents i dont bother. A few bucks and im fighting. So far always refunded. Tgey get a ton of business out of me so that might play a part.
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@cashvaluerecovery2011 wrote:
I make a call and request they return my money. If its a few cents i dont bother. A few bucks and im fighting. So far always refunded. Tgey get a ton of business out of me so that might play a part.

Nope.  On the threads I've seen many posters try and they all failed.  Now certainly not everyone that has tried has posted on the threads, so there are those to consider too.  But I think your chances are slim to none.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@misfitfun wrote:

As ebays moves everyone to managed payments pp policy will be less important than ebay policy.Anyone in managed payments ...does ebay refund any off the fee when a refund is made?

pretty sure paypal knows it is unfair and just trying to milk us for all they can until managed payments comes.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@cashvaluerecovery2011 wrote:

Nope.  On the threads I've seen many posters try and they all failed.  Now certainly not everyone that has tried has posted on the threads, so there are those to consider too.  But I think your chances are slim to none.

i've gotten them to refund me a few times, most of the times they say no but there are some chance they say yes. You just have to be persistent.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply