cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New return policy

This is so unfair to sellers , you now have to offer free returns for 30 days no matter what even mistake by a buyer and you foot the bill for your shipping and you pay buyer shipping back absolutely ridiculous!! I can not belive ebay thinks this is a good idea , I will be looking to other sites to sell ,and will reduce my selling on ebay , I just had a buyer open a case after they told me in email it was there mistake and ebay said I still had to pay both shipping cost because they are no longer close cases even when they know it is buyers fault and policy will go into affect on June 2018. Small businees will be hurt I am not amazon and people will abuse this and sellers will pay!

Message 1 of 126
latest reply
125 REPLIES 125

New return policy

Yes Zappos prices are higher than their competitors because of the risks they take with their return policy. Business 101. You cannot have it both ways much of the time if you want to make good profits . Either one or the other or combination with prices set accordingly to clear the profits you need to to exist.

Message 31 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

Sorry cant remember where I read it but there was an article about big business is going to start tracking names of customers on returns, After they hit a set limit on returns the customer will be cut off from returning anything.  Big business will not take the loss.

Atleast  ( So Far ) here on ebay we still have the right to block bidders from sticking us more than once.

Message 32 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

@minerva234 wrote:

This is not correct.  Go to these sites and look up the real stated return policy instead of the rumors eBay cheerleaders pass around as facts.

Please understand, I'm not defending eBay ... the return system eBay is creating here is a kludge and an ugly monster for sellers.  eBay keeps suggesting that they want to be like Amazon, but they fail to mention that Amazon covers the cost of returns for their sellers.

Also, it is not the "industry standard" for on-line retailers to have free returns - just the opposite, many retailers are running away from the bloodbath of free returns while eBay is attempting to paint a rosy picture of how wonderful it will be to offer free returns.

I was simply trying to point out the very small landscape of on-line retailers that accept free returns.  I think my original list was correct except for one store.

• Shoes.com has changed their return policy ... that must have changed over the last year or so.
  • All others I mentioned offer free return shipping ... the return labels are typically included in the package, but as you point out they do not refund original shipping if there was original shipping charged (eBay is not asking us to refund original shipping either, by the way).
Message 33 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

All others I mentioned offer free return shipping ... the return labels are typically included in the package, but as you point out they do not refund original shipping if there was original shipping charged (eBay is not asking us to refund original shipping either, by the way).

So your saying that if we dont give free shipping we do not have to refund the original shipping? In that case I will go back to charging shipping and no longer give free shipping.

Message 34 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

I think there is bit of misunderstanding here about the simplified return policies issued in 2018 Spring Seller Update.

The mandatory 30-day FREE return policy ONLY applies to those Top Rated Sellers (TRS) who wish to maintain the Top Rated Seller PLUS (TRS+) level, which includes TRS benefits + discounted fees and the TRS+ badge.  You can still maintain a TRS level and not offer FREE returns, only without the TRS+ benefits.

For all others, sellers are required to increase their return period to 30 days.  The minimum 14 days is no longer available (exceptions for certain categories).  Very similar to, many years ago, when eBay did away with the minimum 7-day return policy and replaced it with the 14 day and further back when the 3-day minimum was replaced with 7-day.

It’s really a lot about nothing.  Chances are the sellers that complained back then, if not taking a dirt nap, are still selling today.  It’s a natural progression.

The right decision is what you act on, not what you should have done. Learn from the past, focus on the future...
Message 35 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

@orangehound wrote:

@minerva234 wrote:

This is not correct.  Go to these sites and look up the real stated return policy instead of the rumors eBay cheerleaders pass around as facts.

Please understand, I'm not defending eBay ... the return system eBay is creating here is a kludge and an ugly monster for sellers.  eBay keeps suggesting that they want to be like Amazon, but they fail to mention that Amazon covers the cost of returns for their sellers.

Also, it is not the "industry standard" for on-line retailers to have free returns - just the opposite, many retailers are running away from the bloodbath of free returns while eBay is attempting to paint a rosy picture of how wonderful it will be to offer free returns.

I was simply trying to point out the very small landscape of on-line retailers that accept free returns.  I think my original list was correct except for one store.

• Shoes.com has changed their return policy ... that must have changed over the last year or so.
  • All others I mentioned offer free return shipping ... the return labels are typically included in the package, but as you point out they do not refund original shipping if there was original shipping charged (eBay is not asking us to refund original shipping either, by the way).

This was not directed at you personally but there is a group of posters that try to convince disgruntled sellers that their experiences are wrong.  They often leave out important information and circulate it through posts... and since they have so many posts, many assume they are the experts so they do not validate the misrepresented information.  I have not figured out if these posters are secretly paid by eBay (doubtful), own stock in eBay (maybe), or have invested lots of time, effort and money into building a store on eBay and do not want to see eBay collapse (probably).  But alas it really is hard to argue somebody their own experiences.  I know for certain I am now experiencing more underhanded buyers, and return abuse,  that has eroded sales and profits...  and most of it is due to changes in eBay policy.

Information about returns that is left out by many posters and eBay itself are

1:  To receive free shipping and/or returns often requires a minimum dollar purchase.  This ensures the retailer is making some profit.  eBay does not require this

2: Items on clearance or sales are often "Final Sale" which means no returns at all.  eBay does not allow this.  Often free shipping will not be given for sale/clearance items either.

3:  Some Retailers have a restocking fee while advertising "free returns".  eBay does not allow this (restocking fees are being eliminated)

4:  Sometimes the return label does not mandate the return has "free shipping" rather, it is just a return label to make sure it gets to the correct address, and if used, the cost for shipping will be deducted from your refund (Kohls)

5:  Retailers do not have to put up with the underhanded methods from dishonest buyers that eBay forces its seller to accept.   Substituting a fake for the real item, sending an empty package, wearing it for a day and then trying to return, deliberately damaging an item to get a free return can and do result in a reduction or refusal of a refund.  The allegedly wonderful free returning Zappos states outright "Products must be returned in the original shoe box and/or packaging. We’re a stickler for this one, so please help us out here! If there are extreme circumstances and you don’t have the original packaging, we will allow it as a one-time courtesy."   As opposed to what eBay sellers often encounter, Zappos can resell their returns as New in Box, so they do not have the losses eBay forces onto its sellers.  Retailers can refuse a refund.. eBay does not allow this,

6:  Retailers often distinguish between returns and exchanges.  Returns (buyer remorse) often have shipping costs while exchanges (doesn't fit) will get free shipping because there is still some profit in the sale.  eBay is forcing free shipping for returns for any reason.

7.  Retailers receive contracted discount shipping costs that eBay sellers do not receive.  Our alleged shipping discounts do not match those given to Amazon, Zappos etc.

8.  B & M retailers often claim free returns when in reality, that involves returning to a B &M store only.

9.  Sometimes "free shipping" involves a yearly fee - Amazon Prime for example.

I could go on... but the point is that eBay has not matched what is the industry standard.  Retailers can protect themselves from fraud and abuse whereas eBay has removed the Sellers' ability to do this.  One cannot compare eBay's return policy to that of any other retailer because no other retailer would offer it.  eBay has no skin in the game so it offers it at the expense of it's sellers, many who have already jumped ship.

Message 36 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

MBG overrides all return policy at the sellers expense so there is no reason to pretend everyone and anyone can't get free returns at the expense of the seller at the mere mention of "not a described" or "Doesn't Seem Authentic"... and eBay is the author and enforcer of the policy that ensures free return for all at the expense of the seller.
Message 37 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

Don't even think of the alleged competitive nature of eBay's return policy when it comes to International Sales. NO other retailer in the entire world gives free returns for International sales... easily faked through "NAD" nor fakes an international shipping business that still puts the responsibility for and allows for this onto the sellers while profiting off the idea that it's International Shipping business takes the worry out of it for the seller.

All in all eBay is horrible to it's sellers by forcing a return policy onto them that subject them to abuse and does nothing to change it. Some of the horror stories for internatioanl stories make me wonder how eBay stays in business.
Message 38 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

I charge shipping because I realize eBay wants us to ship for free to maximize eBay's profits at the expense of its sellers. And when somebody abuses the return system and says something doesn't "seem authentic" they are indeed refunded the cost of shipping both ways. A mere opportunistic opinion costs a seller a lot of money sometimes.
Message 39 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

@minerva234 wrote:
I charge shipping because I realize eBay wants us to ship for free to maximize eBay's profits at the expense of its sellers. And when somebody abuses the return system and says something doesn't "seem authentic" they are indeed refunded the cost of shipping both ways. A mere opportunistic opinion costs a seller a lot of money sometimes.

Not to mention those who are third-party sellers. I have no control over how someone else presents an item. Nor do I have much of any control on who can buy my item. So, I am quite often in the position of having to send out an item that I know is not going directly to MY buyer. Based on how they represent the item, I am still forced to accept a return for terms I did not agree to. And eBay sits back and does nothing.

I had a very expensive item listed around the first of the year. Like $1500. A person contacted me with a request for information stating that they had lined up a buyer in a different country. I don't do international shipping, and a precursory glance over their items suggested that they really didn't either. I had to inform them that I wanted no part of a 3rd party sell and yet they were still going to buy it. Had to block them to keep if from happening which can only be done IF they contact you first. Otherwise, you might be stuck with a sale and no real authority to cancel without receiving marks.

I am a small seller. I test everything myself before I list it, and again before I send it. When I get those item NADs, I know they are lying. My default is to have them return it because they are expecting to get it for free on the threat of having to pay return shipping. I have had scammers yell and scream at me via email because they just couldn't understand why they couldn't get the refund without returning the item. These NAD requests are increasing. And when I recieve the item back, I test them again and all but 1 were in perfect working order.

I also once sent out a cell phone case where the minute it was accepted by the post office, the person decided to cancel the order. When it was returned, it had been cut open, removed, replaced and then returned as "return to sender." I started documenting what I sent as I packaged it via photographs and videos as a result. And I do not leave feedback anymore until they do.

I studied the Spring Seller Update when it came out. I was already on the fence about the move to Ayden. Sales literally suck and it has become barely worth my time to photograph an item, edit the photos, test it, research it, list it and then send it out which takes quite a bit of time. I am not a lazy seller. I want my buyers to be happy with what they ordered to the extent that they can be happy about anything, but I want my readers to actually read and make the rational decision to buy or not. But, I cannot please a buyer who has never seen my listing because some 3rd party bought my item on their buyer's behalf. And I cannot please a direct buyer whose only mission it is to get free items. With the removal of the 14 day return window and the push for free returns (I know, I don't have to do it --- for now), I can't do it.

And while I have plenty of bad actor stories, it is important to note that there are a many good buyers out there who only want good items at a reasonable price. If I could only serve those people, I wouldn't care so much about what eBay policies were. But I can't. I have little control over who can purchase my items and under what conditions the sale occurs, much less the way returns are handled. I don't trust eBay with selling. I don't trust them with my phone number. I sure as heck do not trust them with my banking information. My items end on May 2nd and on that day eBay loses 1 more good seller.

They just so happen to also be losing a good buyer with it. While I think that good sellers will continue to sell on eBay, the field is vastly going to be favored toward large sellers who could really care less what they put on eBay for sale. I also think that the feedback system is going to affect some sellers in such a way that you won't be able to tell the good ones from the bad ones because those attempting to hold on to their 100% will be very affected by free returns v. not debackle and will likely receive negative or neutral marks (or at the very least, migraines) because of it and the scammers who abuse it.

Truly, a lot more factors went into this decision than the ones I highlighted. Quiting just so happens to be the best business decision for me at this moment. I cannot control eBay. None of us can. But that does not mean that I should allow them to make business decisions for me. Hopefully one day they will figure it out, but they are a bit slow sometimes.

Message 40 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

Well said and very good point.  I've been in eBay for 2+ years and I still cant seem to make a decent profit.  I sell smaller priced items usually, and that is my choice for now. But it seems that the fees just kill me.  Between fees and shipping I am going to either be forced to up my game.  It is no longer for the small seller.  I love what I do and want to stay with the "thrifting" end  of buying and selling but it seems eBay may not be the place anymore to do that.

Message 41 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. There really is no quarentee here that you will be able to have an influence on a  return judgement. Most of this is in Ebay's ballpark, SO use the free returns for the main purpose of attracting more possible sales and as I said earlier, you must adjust prices to control for loss.  If you are offering free returns and get hammered, then maybe it's not a good business plan. If you are using the free returns and you dont get many of them then that is a good business plan. The website is lacking in risk management that sellers can enforce themselves. If you want the traffic that Ebay offers you then this is what you must do. Personally , it has not been a bad situation for us. If it should turn south then we would have to reconsider a different strategy, as far as the free returns. Some items are just magnets for returns, like clothing with fit issues. Shoes. fit issues.  Plan based on your current return rates.

Message 42 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

They are setting up algo's for  people who return items too many times and then not allowing any more returns from these people. 

Message 43 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

The monster started a few years ago and many large chains are now trying to calm the monster to some degree. Ebay followed along with what the industry was doing but now the industry is backtracking a bit with more stringent criteria for a return. 

Message 44 of 126
latest reply

New return policy

Fees may decrease when Ebay begins using Adyen as their main payment processor, if you can hang out for that.

Message 45 of 126
latest reply