cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New return policy

This is so unfair to sellers , you now have to offer free returns for 30 days no matter what even mistake by a buyer and you foot the bill for your shipping and you pay buyer shipping back absolutely ridiculous!! I can not belive ebay thinks this is a good idea , I will be looking to other sites to sell ,and will reduce my selling on ebay , I just had a buyer open a case after they told me in email it was there mistake and ebay said I still had to pay both shipping cost because they are no longer close cases even when they know it is buyers fault and policy will go into affect on June 2018. Small businees will be hurt I am not amazon and people will abuse this and sellers will pay!

Message 1 of 126
latest reply
125 REPLIES 125

Re: New return policy

Well said!!
Message 106 of 126
latest reply

yes, I no longer will sell to Alaska or Hawaii, it is too risky due to ebay's forced returns and shipping cost policy
Message 107 of 126
latest reply

It is absolutely a rational position to take.  The position is based on experiences, thus multiple experiences.  We are not talking about ONE experience.  And that position is held by not just that particular buyer who is a well known Boardie and a TRS herself, not just me.  

Furthermore, the fact is those experiences were caused by true SNAD items, and abusive, hostile "customer service" in their attempt to avoid a return. 

When you run into a pattern, it makes sense to avoid that pattern.

Message 108 of 126
latest reply

@alwaysauthentic1 wrote:

I'm kind a worried that this new policy could be used out of spite against sellers.

I just had a scenario where a buyer intially wanted me to ship to an alternate address. I gave him the whole spiel about seller protection, etc., and told him that I will cancel the order/refund you and you could repurchase it with the correct address. Never heard back from him, but was still waiting to relist it in case he was still interested, so someone else didn't purchase it in the meantime. The following day he purchased a different Security system from me.

Just a suggestion, of course it's up to you.  But you might not want to mention seller protection.  It might be best to simply say the Ebay requires you to ship to the address chosen on the PP payment.  There is less there for someone to have a problem with, IMO.

I messaged him again both through eBay and through his direct email. I waited the max amount of time and upon not hearing back from him, figured he must want the different security system (it was actually a better security system for the same cost so I figured he just found one that he liked more).

Sure enough he puts in a return for ordering the wrong item and I'm out $+40 in shipping (not the end of the world or anything), but I have to wonder if it was done out of spite, because I wouldn't/couldn't ship to an alternate shipping address? I have no clue if there are any sinnister intentions or if it was simply just a mistake and that he just didn't get my messages and ordered the wrong item. Hopefully I get the same item back. 

Sorry that happened to you.  Smiley Sad

Aside from that a common issue that I run into a decent amount of time are people who make purchases with smartphones (or maybe the fact that it's done through a phone is just a coincidence). For whatever reason cell phone buyers rarely read the items description. It must be how the auctions come up on phones, but ordinarily the description is right next to the buy it now price, so it's very difficult to miss and I put any negatives or missing parts first words out.

I understand that on phones, you have to scroll to the bottom, and hit something that will bring up the description, and many either don't see how to do that or don't bother.

ANYWAY, we could still set up a stocking fee? Is that correct? Which would prevent a buyer from doing this with the intent to cost a seller money. I've never used a stocking fee before, but I'm guessing that would help combat any sinnister intentions such a system could be used for?

Restocking fees were eliminated in the Summer Seller Update, as of June 30.  Now it would be a violation.  You might want to go back and re-read that Update.  The Fall Update recently came out.

Message 109 of 126
latest reply

@alwaysauthentic1 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, when we refund the buyer on a return now we have the option to refund more or less than the total amount? So, if there are any problems on shipping costs or whatever the seller can deduct it from that and explain why to the buyer.

You can only do that if you offer free returns, and you can only do that if the item comes back not as you sent it.  However, the buyer may protest and could take another route to be completely reimbursed, such as file a chargeback with their credit card company, AFAIK.

Message 110 of 126
latest reply

Sorry that happened to you.

Message 111 of 126
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@alwaysauthentic1 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, when we refund the buyer on a return now we have the option to refund more or less than the total amount? So, if there are any problems on shipping costs or whatever the seller can deduct it from that and explain why to the buyer.

You can only do that if you offer free returns, and you can only do that if the item comes back not as you sent it.  However, the buyer may protest and could take another route to be completely reimbursed, such as file a chargeback with their credit card company, AFAIK.

And if they go their credit card company, you get charged twenty dollars for the privilege of getting a chargeback.

Message 112 of 126
latest reply

So the brass tacks of the free returns policy is that Ebay only retained .25% of all its new customers in Q1 of 2018. Because of this Ebay decided they would never tell a buyer they are wrong if they opened a NAD return. The ebay merchant support team will agree with you on the phone that you clearly have done nothing wrong and that your item is as described and then tell you their hands are tied and they cannot "per Ebay policy" help you or force the buyer to pay return shipping. The song and dance i have recieved several times now is "The Customer is Always Right even when they are Wrong". And "This will only affect 2% of your sales according to our data analysis" 

I feel like for the past month we have been throwing money down a hole. What happened to Personal Responsibilty in making a decision to buy something. Arent the people buying on ebay grown adults. Ebay expects so little out of their customers now and the customers are standing up to show them how little responsibilty they are willing to take for their own actions. This is a vicious downward spiral propogated by the middle man "Ebay" That doesn't have Working capital and merchandise in the game. We as sellers are putting up Our money into product and shiping, Our time to list and photograph items, Our effort to descibe them well. 

As a Seller on ebay I expect Ebay to respect the time and effort and money i have put into this site, the 9000 transactions i have and the lack of negative feedback. The return customers i have and the praise from my customers that i treat well because I want them back. Ebay has forgotten who its core is, forgotten what makes this site work.  They have forggoten that it is a fair and balnced platform that made people willing to bring their personal treasures to the internet to share with the world through ebay.  I am here today as a seller and a buyer for the last 15 years. Upper Management you are destroying my passion for this site. please take a deep look at what you are doing.

Message 113 of 126
latest reply

I’m not a big-time seller, but I enjoy buying and selling on the internet. Every recent policy change has pushed me further away from eBay, because there are so many less expensive and easier options. I no longer accept returns because it would cost me too much to do so. I’m tired of having to watch listings like a hawk to make sure eBay didn’t decide I should accept offers. It just seems like it’s endless!
Message 114 of 126
latest reply

Yes I agree 100% as well all the issues you mention have become the same problem for me as well.We small businesses have to take the brunt ebay makes all the money we get screwed.The customers know they can get away with anything with returns and some are honest but there are enough who abuse the system that take advantage of all of us.I have been selling on ebay on and off for 20 years several years ago their policies got ridiculous for the sellers so I quit pulled all my stuff off ebay.A couple years ago I came back it seemed like they were treating sellers better was good for a while until they started this new return policy I have had nothing but problems since.Crazy demands from ebay customers getting **bleep** because they don't want to take responsibility for any of their mistakes it is ridiculous again.I'm about ready to shut my store down again and take everything off ebay.There are a lot of small sellers on ebay going to be hurt by this ebay is stupid they can't possibly think this new policy if a good idea overall .

Message 115 of 126
latest reply

You don't HAVE to offer 30 days returns.  It's your choice.

Message 116 of 126
latest reply

@u2bella wrote:

This is so unfair to sellers , you now have to offer free returns for 30 days no matter what even mistake by a buyer and you foot the bill for your shipping and you pay buyer shipping back absolutely ridiculous!! I can not belive ebay thinks this is a good idea , I will be looking to other sites to sell ,and will reduce my selling on ebay , I just had a buyer open a case after they told me in email it was there mistake and ebay said I still had to pay both shipping cost because they are no longer close cases even when they know it is buyers fault and policy will go into affect on June 2018. Small businees will be hurt I am not amazon and people will abuse this and sellers will pay!

Sorry that happened to you.

Message 117 of 126
latest reply

Just wait to complain till you get a return from an oversea buyer.  You have to send the buyer  money equal to the cost of the shipping label for them to send the item back from their countries because you can't buy shipping label from their countries.  I have to send a buyer from Canada more than $17 to send the item back because he purchased the wrong item.  I would lost this $17 had he send the item back.  But he didn't.  So eBay reimbursed me $149.  So in the end I actually made more money than I would have with the sale.  I withdrew selling oversea for now but I think I will sell oversea again.  Just not expensive stuff.  And I will send less money to the seller to buy shipping label.  Always ask them to return the items because if they don't and you send them the money, eBay will pay you.  If eBay has to reimburse too many return labels, maybe they will change this policy.  The new return policy only encouge people take advange of it and steal money "legally" like this Canada buyer of mine.  He STOLE more than $100 legally.  Do you think he would shop at ebay again?   

Message 118 of 126
latest reply

Oh, I forgot to say this.  My orders dropped now that I stopped selling oversea.  eBay do you think you really make money with this return policy?

Message 119 of 126
latest reply

When you compare Amazon and eBay, Amazon is a bit smarter and better.  Both return policies are bad because you have to pay expensive shipping fee twice.  But at lease with Amazon you have more orders to cover the returns and you can refund the buyers who are quiet less and they would not notice to ask you for a full refund.  You can write nice emails to cover it and refund them the full amount if the buyers ask.  With eBay it is all amount refunded whe the case is open because you can't change the amount.  eBay already has less buyers than that of amazon to start with, it will not be good for eBay if the seller pool becomes less too.  I for one is already pulling all listings from selling oversea.  I have even less orders now. 

Message 120 of 126
latest reply