cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New item specifics will be required July 12

Just received this e-mail - New item specifics will be required July 12

what a joke! How many times do us sellers have to fix what eBay software programmers cannot fix while writing new software programs? I want a check in the mail for my labor since eBay does not wish to do any advertising. ha!

Shoppers know what they are looking for!

They can read the description in the body of the listing!

They can ask questions before bidding or buying!

Item specifics are so overlapped / duplicated! Ridiculous!

sorry for the rant!

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: New item specifics will be required July 12

I have suggested loudly to Ebay that EVERY Item Detail box include our ability to type   N/A.   That's the only solution I can figure.

Message 31 of 41
latest reply

you don't have to fill in EVERY item specific.........skip the ones that don't apply.........those are the instructions from ebay.  You only have to fill in the REQUIRED IS. 

They don't want N/A in the non applicable IS as then each of those IS will show up in the listing.......

@katrinkets 

Message 32 of 41
latest reply

Yes, but they keep threatening that the suggested specifics will become required.

Message 33 of 41
latest reply

Worry about that if/when it happens...........

Message 34 of 41
latest reply

NOT a 'rant'.....it's unfortunately what is wrong with this ridiculous "Item Specifics" concept!  It began with not all of us getting whatever it was that was suppose to notify us about the 'July 12th' fiasco.  Once notified about it (by a fellow vinyl seller) It took me nine phone calls (over a  three week period!) to:  (a) Break the 'time' of "has vinyl NOW been ADDED to the category of 'Collectables?'; BUT (b) her answer was "NO!" (broke their 'tied' of four "YES" and four "NO", but she very professionally went one step further and read through the other eight Item Specific categories....and sadly she found that 'vinyl' was indeed buried within the category of 'Media'.  Thus I was then confronted with the fact that I only had five weeks to update 5,942 of my listings with Item Specific data such as "Artist" (obviously, no BULK function would have helped...); "Item Title" (another category where a BULK function wouldn't help) and/or "Format" (roughly, the insertion of "Record" would have satisfied the system, BUT NO BULK FUNCTION WAS AVAILABLE!

So yes, I too got that annoying reminder!  Being a 'professional ranter' (my 'training' within my 37 years as an IBMer...), I RESPONDED TO IT.....with a carbon copy to Mr. Jamie Iannone (eBay CEO).  And within that respond I mentioned their previous annoying request to update, that being update the 'UPC' field....which for vinyl is reportedly (from eBay Seller Support) as ALWAYS "Does not apply"....and of course, BULK update is not available.

Ah, now having written this novel, I feel so much better.  Oh, and yesterday I finished updating all 5,942 of my listings.....what a waste of HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of hours.  Now for my second cup of coffee while I wait for an apology from eBay....... 

Message 35 of 41
latest reply

Google has changed how it picks up information and tag words from web site content.     These new item specifics are so that your items will be picked up on the new  Google search.

You do not nor should your fill out every item specific,  just the ones that apply.

Message 36 of 41
latest reply

As I listed above, there are three that eBay has identified as required for vinyl products.  Two of those fields (i.e. Item Title; and Artist) have been listed for years within my/our 'Title' under 'Listing Details".....Buyers have had no problem searching that location.....and if the Google programmers don't know to professionally structure their search criteria, then they are in the wrong vocation!  As for the third Item Specifics category (i.e. Format), that could have been about 75% effective (since it would always been 'Record'), but EBAY DIDN'T PROVIDE A BULK UPDATE FUNCTION!

Based upon my background, I have no 'mercy' for  programmers and their 'System Analysts' (as we called them within IBM)......if they don't FULLY UNDERSTAND the potential impact upon their customers (in this case, thousands of Sellers), they need to ask them.......SUCH AS REACTIVATING THEIR 'Voices Program'!

Message 37 of 41
latest reply

Exactly since when is a toy not a toy but an action figure ????

Message 38 of 41
latest reply

NEW as in more?

What is the name of the person who made it?  What was the exact date it was made?  What city in what country was it made in?  What color shirt were they wearing?  Did they have shoes on?  If yes, what kind?

I'm already going nuts with these stupid repetitive questions.   Who made it?  I don't know.  Well then, what year did I don't know make it?  And theme, character and all that NEEDS TO BE BANNED.  I DON'T SELL CHILDREN'S SLEEPWEAR, IT HAS NO CARTOON ON IT.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 39 of 41
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

NEW as in more?

What is the name of the person who made it?  What was the exact date it was made?  What city in what country was it made in?  What color shirt were they wearing?  Did they have shoes on?  If yes, what kind?

I'm already going nuts with these stupid repetitive questions.   Who made it?  I don't know.  Well then, what year did I don't know make it?  And theme, character and all that NEEDS TO BE BANNED.  I DON'T SELL CHILDREN'S SLEEPWEAR, IT HAS NO CARTOON ON IT.

This is a Zombie thread from MAY 2021

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 40 of 41
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 41 of 41
latest reply